PDA

View Full Version : Help/Advice for new summers

huauqui
02-08-2016, 11:53 PM
Hey friends,

Need some help on new summers to replace the p neros that are now almost slicks. I am running factory 17 wheels and have been looking for new summers since the winter tires and wheels went on mid November. My driving is a mix of 65% 60 mph rural highway 25% city and 10% interstate. I was almost positive I wanted the BFG g-sport comp 2's but when I went in Costco will not put them on the car as they are not weight rated correctly for the car. The car specs an 84 and the BFG's are 80. Of the tires I looked at I like these except for the road noise (though in a car with our exhaust note I am not sure it really matters.) I know I can get these put on at a few other shops but wanted to ask here for other options first.

So should I go with the BFG g-sport comp 2's in p205/40 or do you have another tire out there you like better? All input is welcome.

Thanks in advance

huauqui

Dwaynek
02-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Michelin sport a/s excellent tire

Michael T
02-09-2016, 09:55 AM
A question I can help with!

I'm currently running the Sport comp 2s and have put probably two thousand miles on them.

I didn't see anything about autocross, but I've done two autocrosses on these tires. The first one was a very tight course and these tires did excellent at low speeds. I had a few Miata guys come up and tell me how fast my car was looking. The other autocross was a much faster course and I had a hard time finding traction at the higher speeds, but once I started playing with psi I was starting to get more grip, also I blame myself more than the tires because of my terrible braking technique.

The tire is great at speed, I've done a few late night interstate pulls and the car feels stable at 100 MPH. Now I am running Bilstein Coilovers so my car already rides stiff and these tires do not help with comfort. However, my Abarth is my toy so ride quality isn't my first priority.

They are great on the street though for interstate on/off ramps and have plenty of grip which makes the car plenty of fun.

Noise? I usually have the windows down and radio blasting so I can't comment on tire noise but I haven't noticed too much over the stock tires.

For the price, it's hard to find a high performance tire that is comparable.

huauqui
02-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Thanks Michael T,

I appreciate the real world review. Anybody else have experience with this tire or another tire suggestion that I should look at? I have looked at the Michelin A/S but have great winter tires so really think a three season would be best and give me the most bang for the buck with what I already have.

huauqui

Michael T
02-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Thanks Michael T,

I appreciate the real world review. Anybody else have experience with this tire or another tire suggestion that I should look at? I have looked at the Michelin A/S but have great winter tires so really think a three season would be best and give me the most bang for the buck with what I already have.

huauqui

I can say the best max/performance tire I have ran so far was the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. This might sound strange but I ran them on my Hyundai Elantra Touring. I had only suspension work done to the car and boy the tires made the car feel like a fun little hatch lol. I will never forget the time I kept up with a 350z on a long sweeper onto the interstate. It must of been a hilariousview seeing a 350z going balls out and a blue Hyundai wagon keeping right up behind it.

However, the price difference shows from the Comp 2s.

AbarthDriver
02-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks Michael T,

huauqui

I put Yokohoma S-Drives on my Abarth when I bought it, as it desperately needed new tires. I take my car on the canyons through Angeles Crest, Angles Forrest, and Glendora Mountain Road without any complaint. It grips well, rides WAY better than the Pirelli Scorpions it used to have, and are much quieter overall. I've had no surprises in the handling of my car and I've even had friends (also into cars) note at how well the little thing bites into corners with the new tires.

nielmon
02-23-2016, 07:28 AM
Currently have Dunlop Direzza DZ102's. Saw positive feedback from other members here so I decided to get these tires (http://4wheelonline.com/Off_Road_Mud_Tires.25) also. Have nothing negative to say about their traction on dry pavement. They are also very predictable during aggressive cornering. Low road noise. The only thing I don't like much is their grip on wet roads although never experience hydroplaning.

B3NN3TT
02-23-2016, 04:56 PM
Bridgestone Potenza RE71R. Best summer tire I've ever encountered. Wears fast, though...

huauqui
02-23-2016, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the input fellow 500 fans. I went ahead and bit the bullet and purchased a set of the BFG g-sport comp II tires. They look good and I can't wait for the pavement to warm a bit so I can take the winters off and run these in a bit. May just have to head on out to Fiat on the Dragon and give them a good workout.

huauqui

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20998&stc=1

DougZ
03-05-2016, 09:15 AM
Discount tire has great offer on bay.

4 NEW 205/40-17 BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE760 SPORT 40R R17 TIRES
$100 off purchases over $400 Enter Code:CTIRES316

I just purchased set of Potenza RE760 sport for $380 delivered from Discount Tire off eBay You get $100 off when spending more than $400. Great deal. I usually buy from Tire Rack but their price couldn't touch this. I haven't installed the tires yet.

B3NN3TT
03-07-2016, 10:30 AM
I have the 760's on my Mustang. Good solid summer tire.