PDA

View Full Version : 500X Headlight question

5port
02-05-2016, 01:53 PM
I purchased a 500X Easy (collection 1) yesterday and cant wait to get it. In the meantime the headlights were the only thing I couldn't check out. Easy comes with no fog lights so I'm hoping the headlights are strong enough. I see they are using the HIR 9012 bulb with 1800 lumens so that's a good sign. So what say...will I need fog lights?

Fiat500USA
02-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Congratulations on your car! We're happy with the lights. Seem to work well, but fog lights are a neat accessory, too.

bryanintowson
02-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Our headlights are very bright - I have the fogs on my 500 Lounge and only use them strangely enough in my immediate neighborhood at night where there are lots of pedestrians and narrow streets. They are so bright that the other day in actual heavy fog, they made it harder to see!!!

5port
02-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Excellent that's great to hear. Many times additional light does not help in fog (do to reflection). The headlights have the largest projectors I've seen yet with the brightest halogen bulb that exists so they are designed well.

Fiat500USA
02-06-2016, 12:05 PM
Excellent that's great to hear. Many times additional light does not help in fog (do to reflection). The headlights have the largest projectors I've seen yet with the brightest halogen bulb that exists so they are designed well.

Agreed. The 9012 bulbs have impressive specs and it's nice to know all the 500s use them.

mopar_man
02-06-2016, 09:29 PM
I am presently thinking about buying a500x easy edition and wondered how the peripheral lighting is. I have a Chrysler 200 now and while the straight on lighting is great the beam is narrow and is really a detriment when turning corners. The projector headlights on the 500x seem to be similar to those on my 200....

5port
02-06-2016, 10:04 PM
I am presently thinking about buying a500x easy edition and wondered how the peripheral lighting is. I have a Chrysler 200 now and while the straight on lighting is great the beam is narrow and is really a detriment when turning corners. The projector headlights on the 500x seem to be similar to those on my 200....

After looking at the headlight housing in the Chrysler 200 it looks to me like the projector is set back too far limiting its throw. Also projectors that are higher off the ground will have a wider throw due to the height. The beam gets wider as it travels further.

Fiat500USA
02-06-2016, 11:24 PM
If you get a car with fogs, the fog lights act like cornering lights and light up when making turns.

5port
02-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Good projectors. Wide smooth beam...very good for halogen.

carfreak09
03-01-2016, 02:49 AM
Anyone know how to adjust the beam horizontally?? Both of my beams are pointing too far to the right. My right headlight actually lights up the next lane! I'd prefer not to have to take it in for something so simplistic.

5port
03-01-2016, 11:54 AM
They shouldn't be so far off left and right. I'm wondering if the bulbs are seated correctly. I've now had LEDs and two HID kits in the projectors and never had to touch the alignment. After reading the Abarth threads its easy to adjust up and down with the knob that is on top of the headlight but left/right is a challenge. Since they are so out of wack I would pull the rubber cover off the rear of each headlight and just look to see that the bulbs are seated in the sockets and turned to the right until they stop. The covers are just pressed on. If seated correctly then go to alignment.

This may become a dealer issue as it may be something internal to the projectors. How do the highbeams look?

carfreak09
03-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Well, I played with the aiming of the lights and have some feedback that should help others. The yellow cover on the top dead center of the headlight is where the side-to-side adjustment screw is (in the 500, this screw adjusts up-down). Just pry the cover off and use a Phillips head screwdriver. Counterclockwise moves the beam to the left, clockwise to the right. The up-down adjustment screw does not have a cover. It is simply a white Philips head near the bottom of the headlight assembly. I probably have my aim all messed up now as at first I was turning the up-down, thinking it was the side-to-side. SMH, oh well, LOL. Hopefully I got the beam more centered in front of me now. I really want some fog lights to light up the road directly in front. Im hoping Fiat will offer a fog light kit.

5port
03-01-2016, 01:07 PM
OK sounds like you have it worked out...excellent. I posted a pix in this thread of the correct pattern from the factory. Yes I was hoping for a dealer supplied fog light kit myself. Thanks for the alignment tips.

carfreak09
03-02-2016, 08:50 PM
OK sounds like you have it worked out...excellent. I posted a pix in this thread of the correct pattern from the factory. Yes I was hoping for a dealer supplied fog light kit myself. Thanks for the alignment tips.

Quick question for you. Should the headlight beams converge in the middle a ways ahead of the vehicle? Right now, there is a slight dead spot between the two hot spots right in the center of the road. I might leave it alone but thought maybe I could move the driver's beam to the right a little so that it converges with the passenger beam. Just curious how your beam pattern looks.

5port
03-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Yes the beams should at least get close together and there should be a dead spot (a foot of empty space) where they hit the road.

5port
03-04-2016, 05:57 PM
So today I wanted to verify the DRL bulb part#. Removing the bulb is similar to the 500 except there are two plastic pins that you pull out and the door comes off: Bulb type is P21W or GE1056...both #s were marked on bulb.

Edit: GE1056 is euro# and 1156 should replace them.