PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about warranty service.

TheGonz
01-31-2016, 01:46 AM
Since the 500x is very similar to the Jeep Renegade, could I take it to a Jeep dealer for warranty service?

I may have an opportunity to move someplace and take a job I'd love to have, and since my divorce I have been desperate for a total life makeover and change of scenery. Problem is, where I would be moving, the nearest Fiat dealer is 145 miles away, and in a different country. The next closest one is 315 miles away in Minneapolis.

I have confidence in my Fiat, and don't expect any problems. But, things do happen even to the best of us, so I have to wonder if I get this job and take it, and on the off chance something breaks, will I really have to flatbed it 315 miles to the Twin Cities? Or, can I take it to the Jeep dealer five minutes away which has a dozen, very similar Renegades for sale on the lot?

Here in St. Louis, I have three Fiat studios within 10 miles of my house, so I really wasn't thinking of service issues when I bought it.

bryanintowson
01-31-2016, 10:41 AM
FiatCares will have a definitive answer for you - it's an interesting question because the Renegade and the 5ooX are literally made in the same factory on the same assembly line. IN ITALY. I drive past the lots where they are stored when they come off the ships here in Baltimore so I see them every day.

smark
01-31-2016, 11:13 AM
Answer is NO, you can't get warranty work performed, at a Jeep dealership. Unless the CDJR dealer offers the Fiat brand at their dealership. There might be assembled in the same plant. Two different brands.

jayadam63
01-31-2016, 02:12 PM
I agree with Smark. The only exception I can think of would be if the CDJR dealer had a technician with all the FIAT certifications AND they might have a Fiat dealership elsewhere owned by the same company. That's a lot of "IF's."

But on the whole -- I'm with Smark.

Having said that -- I think for smaller things, they might be able to help you. For example -- the parts department would be able to get parts because it's all under the Mopar umbrella. So if you come in with a mirror cap trim piece that's disintegrating, ($10 or $20 part) they can get it for you and you can put it on yourself or one of the guys in the service bay might be nice enough to help you. What I can't say is whether you can get it done under warranty because I don't know if the dealership can process the service as a warranty item in their system...

Would like to hear what FiatCares says on this one also.

-Jay

TheGonz
01-31-2016, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the responses thus far. It sounds like my initial suspicion was correct: anything I'm not willing or able to do myself will have to be planned around a weekend getaway to Minneapolis.

As for jayadam's scenario above, I don't mind doing stuff myself. I've turned plenty a wrench in my day. And I'm willing and able to do some stuff. But I like having at least one car under warranty so I have the convenience of letting someone else deal with it.

And if there is a significant problem (like I said, I don't think there will be but you never can tell) then it's an issue. Plus, there are a lot of things that I can't do on this car. Anything having to do with software updates, for instance. And recalls if there ever were any.

So maybe the next question should be if the dealer in Canada, 145 miles away, will honor my US warranty? I'm guessing the answer to that is "no" as well.

If I get this job (far from being in the bag, still) and if I take it, I should probably plan on picking up some older pickup truck for $5000-$7000 cash so I have a second vehicle that is capable of towing. If there are any problems with the 500x that render it inoperative, I can rent a trailer from U-Haul and tow it to the Twin Cities. And, any planned maintenance or smaller issues I would have done under warranty (recalls, software flashes, etc) will just have to be arranged around a weekend trip to MPLS.

bryanintowson
01-31-2016, 04:26 PM
Does your warranty have any kind of towing provision? I use Geico for towing on my project cars.

TheGonz
02-02-2016, 07:41 PM
My insurer offers roadside assistance/towing. If this job happens (had the second interview just a few hours ago), I'll check with them to see what the fine print on that coverage is. If it'll cover towing to the nearest dealer—even if the nearest dealer is 350 miles away—then that would work I guess.

If I move to this place, I'll probably want to get a block heater for the 500x, too.