PDA

View Full Version : Alvolante Talks with the Fiat 124 Engineers

morrisg
01-31-2016, 12:17 AM
Ok, let's see if this works on the 2nd try. Alvolante talks about the development of the Fiat 124 and some differences from the Mazda MX5.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alvolante.it%2Fnews%2Ffiat-124-spider-differenze-mazda-mx-5-344976&edit-text=

morrisg
01-31-2016, 06:36 PM
I enjoyed this talk as it points to the Fiat 124 having the same new 6 speed transmission as the new Mazda ND, but having stronger gears and shafts to handle the torque of the 1.4L turbo engines (177 lb-ft Euro tune and 184 lb-ft USA tune). And they talk about all of the Fiat 124s having the double layer top with thicker rear glass plus more sound control mats so the ride is quiet. And additional underbody braces to reduce flexing, which means better handling!

I can't wait to test drive one for myself!

Fiat500USA
02-01-2016, 12:35 AM
They are really happy with the NVH package. It is much enhanced over the other car and is suppose to be noticeably quieter. I heard (not from Fiat) that it may be a previous generation Mazda gearbox.

morrisg
02-01-2016, 03:14 AM
Yes, I read that it might be an NC 6 speed transmission in a Car & Driver magazine article, too. But this Al Volante article points to Mazda using the new 6 speed transmission case with stronger shafts and gears instead. So I'm trying to get a better translation from janaheim (contributor on this forum who seems to speak Italian). If I was more patient, I could wait until the official brochures came out but that wouldn't be as much fun!

janaheim
02-01-2016, 05:48 AM
Yes, I read that it might be an NC 6 speed transmission in a Car & Driver magazine article, too. But this Al Volante article points to Mazda using the new 6 speed transmission case with stronger shafts and gears instead. So I'm trying to get a better translation from janaheim (contributor on this forum who seems to speak Italian). If I was more patient, I could wait until the official brochures came out but that wouldn't be as much fun!

"The FIAT is reinforced": The suspension employs a double-wishbone layout in front and a multi-link in the rear. Everything else is pretty well translated.
"Different in": The North American version will use the 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo from the 500 Abarth making 160 horsepower and 184 lb.-ft. of torque. It's available with a six-speed manual transmission or a six-speed automatic transmission. The European version will come with the same engine but producing only 138 hp and 177 lb.-ft. of torque in order to keep costs down and the 6-speed manual. The 6-speed automatic will be offered at a later time there.

Here's a link to the North American version which has more information about the 124: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300181236.html.

From everything I have read, FIAT should be commended for making all these changes to the 124 to make it more refined than the MX-5. In my opinion the 124 is the better car. Then again I have Italian blood in my veins!

Ciao,
John