PDA

View Full Version : Help! Local Fiat dealers in NE Ohio won't help me change to winter set up

OhioMade
01-20-2016, 11:20 PM
I've garaged my 2013 Abarth for three northern Ohio winters. However, this winter I must change over to a winter set-up. I cannot get my local Mentor Fiat dealer to assist me whatsoever with changing over my tires and or rims and tires. I've also reached out to two other Fiat dealerships in Northeast Ohio. And no one is interested in returning my calls or emails. When I did speak to somebody at the Service counter at the Mentor Fiat dealership, he was very flustered when I told him what I was trying to do, and he shuffled me off to Parts, and they were no more helpful. Of course I'm willing to pay for tires, rims, installation, TPS sensors, etc., so what am I missing here? I really need to use the car this year in the snow as we've changed to a one-car family unexpectedly. Can anyone help? I can find stock 16 inch rims online, and I'm sure I can mate them to 16 inch tires. But I don't have the mechanical expertise, tools or knowlegde to do this in my own garage. Kinda wished I never upgraded the rims/tires when I bought the monster.

datasage
01-20-2016, 11:43 PM
You don't need to go through the dealer to do this. A lot of places can handle tire installation, including places like walmart and costco.

Fiat500USA
01-20-2016, 11:55 PM
Check out tire rack. You can have 4 tires and wheels with TPMS mounted and balanced sent right to your door, or even the installer of your choice without ANY hassles. I do this whenever I can. Much easier than dealing and talking to unhelpful people.

If you don't want to do it yourself, just put in your zip code and you can choose a local installer. Call them to confirm install prices and make arrangements to drop ship the tires to them. Easy.

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterPackageMain.jsp?autoMake=Fiat&autoModel=500+Abarth&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=

Megalomaniacal
01-21-2016, 10:34 AM
mentor ohio was so depressing, idk how you can live there

Robert Nixon
01-21-2016, 11:49 AM
As suggested above, Tire Rack is a great resource. Beyond that, your local Firestone or other local tire store should be able to help. Other than not having 4X98 bolt pattern wheels on the shelf, it should be easy.

Getting a store to put new wheels and tires on is as easy as pumping your own gas for crying out loud. My guess would be that dealers are NOT in the business of having winter tires and extra wheel sets laying around, so probably that's why they are not being helpful.

smark
01-21-2016, 12:08 PM
Ditto, buy some snow tires sensor, and wheels from the Tire Rack. They have a group of preferred installers across the country that will install your tires. They will ship them to your door or the tire shop. Mounted balanced, ready to install on your car.

http://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html

Andree
01-21-2016, 12:54 PM
Have you seen the Pop steelies on the Abarth for winter?
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10733-Dressing-up-my-Pop-steelies&p=627585&viewfull=1#post627585

More Pop steelies pics with baby moons and beauty rings. Just to give you ideas on painting the steelies, or going fully retro for winter!
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?10555-Baby-Moon-Hubcaps

SweetSandMan
01-21-2016, 02:08 PM
Tirerack is fantastic. Probably way less expensive too.

E Rossi
01-24-2016, 09:39 PM
I bought used OEM wheels from the Forum and bought 4 Pirelli Winter 210, Snowcontrol Series 3, 195/45R16 84H M&S, from TireRack. My local Fiat dealer added tire pressure gauges, mounted and balanced the wheels. This is my second Chicagoland winter on the tires. I am totally pleased!

OhioMade
01-24-2016, 11:18 PM
Update: Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I bought OEM 16" rims off eBay and new tires from Tire Rack. All should be delivered to my home this week. Will give Mentor Fiat one last chance to put it all together for me. If they won't help now, then I'll be buying the next Abarth elsewhere next year.

Andree
01-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Update: Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I bought OEM 16" rims off eBay and new tires from Tire Rack. All should be delivered to my home this week. Will give Mentor Fiat one last chance to put it all together for me. If they won't help now, then I'll be buying the next Abarth elsewhere next year.

Thanks for the update! Let us know how your new tires handle the winter challenges!

Klasse Act
01-25-2016, 06:02 PM
I would like to suggest the Blizzak WS80's. They got me through a very bad winter last year and this year its not quite as bad but its been cold and they've performed well in that too!

Redduc
01-25-2016, 10:25 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't waste your time. I NEVER take any of my cars to the dealership unless it's either a) free or b) nesesary for warranty (meaning free). This includes our 911 and our BMW. In my experience almost every other type of shop does better work for less money. Just my 2 cents.

streetsurfer
01-26-2016, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't go back to that dealer. They were probably doing you a favor. It may be they don't feel they have someone competent enough to do the job without error.

Tire rack will give you a list of approved installers who use equipment that will best balance the wheels and not damage them during tire mounting. I'd drive a couple hours for a known good installer, rather than use someone who was reluctant to do the job.

TheDan
01-26-2016, 04:58 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't waste your time. I NEVER take any of my cars to the dealership unless it's either a) free or b) nesesary for warranty (meaning free).This... +elevnty billion

Don't take your new wheels and tires to the dealership. Find a local tire shop you like. Use Yelp or Google to find reviews if you don't have recommendations from anyone.

MJAB
01-26-2016, 07:36 PM
As many already wrote better a good tyre shop. You could also ask to check the "old" tyres to see if it is also advisable to make wheel aligment.

OhioMade
02-03-2016, 02:03 PM
I've garaged my 2013 Abarth for three northern Ohio winters. However, this winter I must change over to a winter set-up. I cannot get my local Mentor Fiat dealer to assist me whatsoever with changing over my tires and or rims and tires. I've also reached out to two other Fiat dealerships in Northeast Ohio. And no one is interested in returning my calls or emails. When I did speak to somebody at the Service counter at the Mentor Fiat dealership, he was very flustered when I told him what I was trying to do, and he shuffled me off to Parts, and they were no more helpful. Of course I'm willing to pay for tires, rims, installation, TPS sensors, etc., so what am I missing here? I really need to use the car this year in the snow as we've changed to a one-car family unexpectedly. Can anyone help? I can find stock 16 inch rims online, and I'm sure I can mate them to 16 inch tires. But I don't have the mechanical expertise, tools or knowlegde to do this in my own garage. Kinda wished I never upgraded the rims/tires when I bought the monster.

**************************HAPPY RESOLUTION HERE! Yesterday I stopped by my local Fiat dealer (Mentor Fiat) to chat about the situation in person. They were more than helpful, and this morning I am happy to report they mounted, balanced and fitted the OEM 16" rims and tires and tire pressure monitors that I supplied. They carefully packed the hatchback with the summer tires and rims (went out of their way to include Styrofoam and cardboard packing materials so the four wouldn't jump around on the ride home). The set-up looks great (see pic). It's supposed to snow tomorrow here in northern Ohio (although it's 60 right now!). Can't wait to test out the new tires (Pirelli Snow Control 3). Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

jayadam63
02-03-2016, 02:55 PM
**************************HAPPY RESOLUTION HERE! Yesterday I stopped by my local Fiat dealer (Mentor Fiat) to chat about the situation in person. They were more than helpful, and this morning I am happy to report they mounted, balanced and fitted the OEM 16" rims and tires and tire pressure monitors that I supplied. They carefully packed the hatchback with the summer tires and rims (went out of their way to include Styrofoam and cardboard packing materials so the four wouldn't jump around on the ride home). The set-up looks great (see pic). It's supposed to snow tomorrow here in northern Ohio (although it's 60 right now!). Can't wait to test out the new tires (Pirelli Snow Control 3). Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

How much did they charge you?