PDA

View Full Version : First Autocross in the 2016 Abarth

rrunner68
01-12-2016, 01:00 PM
Took our new 2016 Abarth out for it's first autocross this weekend and had a lot of fun with it. The competition was pretty tight in GS and being against a field of cars on 235 aspect RE-71R's and me being on the stock 195 rubber made it super fun. And our little car can certainly hold it's own against the more popular cars in the class. Seems these new GTI's are just as good as the Focus and as they start figuring out the chassis I'm sure they'll get quicker. Totally blew my last run on an extended slalom; pushing it a bit hard and the car over-rotated taking out the row of 4 comes for the last direction change. Raw on that run was a 66.6; which would have netted me a 3rd place finish! Wife was already suggesting that we should jump the gun and get a set of sticker tires; so hopefully we can get that before the next event (Jan 31) to see if we can take the fight to the quicker cars.
Everyone really enjoyed the car, and commented how smooth it looked on course and a few were quite surprised how loud the factory exhaust was; fortunately we didn't exceed the 93db limit that the SDR has at their venue.

Here are the results for GS...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/Bajadak/Jan10%20Results_zpsxnul3f4g.png (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Bajadak/media/Jan10%20Results_zpsxnul3f4g.png.html)

CoachRick
01-13-2016, 10:33 AM
Good job representing the marque! Interesting collection of vehicles out there. My days were back in the '70s, running my German Capris against 240/260Z cars and such. I don't think I'll show up in the Elle ;) ; but I might check for any events in central Texas...just to watch.

Yellowknife abarth
01-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Hey, once your wife is saying spend more money to go faster you are on your way!

BigDaddySRT
01-13-2016, 11:12 AM
Was the GTI equipped with the Performance Package?

Robert Nixon
01-13-2016, 11:51 AM
Congrats! Autocross is a blast!

My guess is that the Bridgestones will easily drop your time by over a second on a course that long, so that should put you up there with the front runners.

rrunner68
01-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Was the GTI equipped with the Performance Package?

Good question. I'm not up to speed with the GTI's and after reading all the doom and gloom posts on this site; I was more worried about the ST's.

BigDaddySRT
01-13-2016, 12:54 PM
Good question. I'm not up to speed with the GTI's and after reading all the doom and gloom posts on this site; I was more worried about the ST's.

I'll save you my doom and gloom story with the Focus ST... And just wish you the best of luck catching them.

If that GTI has the Performance Package and DCC it's going to eat the ST.

BigDaddySRT
01-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Congrats! Autocross is a blast!

My guess is that the Bridgestones will easily drop your time by over a second on a course that long, so that should put you up there with the front runners.

Street Tires aren't going to offer a 2 second gain on an autocross course.

Put a qualified driver in the Focus ST and ABARTH... Put equal rubber on both... The ABARTH will unfortunately always be behind.

B3NN3TT
01-13-2016, 01:36 PM
The car needs to be in HS. Completely stupid.

Nice driving, though; jealous of you guys who can race in January...

rrunner68
01-13-2016, 02:24 PM

Put a qualified driver in the Focus ST and ABARTH... Put equal rubber on both... The ABARTH will unfortunately always be behind.

I'm fairly confident that the Bridgestones with a shorter sidewall will be worth at least 2-2.5 sec a run.
I'm already talking to some folks about some back to back runs and driver swapping at Tour with the current GS champ and his ST. Hopefully I can get myself and the car up there to get it done in April.

BigDaddySRT
01-13-2016, 09:00 PM
I'm fairly confident that the Bridgestones with a shorter sidewall will be worth at least 2-2.5 sec a run.
I'm already talking to some folks about some back to back runs and driver swapping at Tour with the current GS champ and his ST. Hopefully I can get myself and the car up there to get it done in April.

Oh geez... Put a National Champ in a Focus ST, then put that same National Champ in an ABARTH... I know how this is going to turn out!!!

Focus ST takes the win by well over a second!!!! The ST has HUGE power advantage, and an overboost feature in 1-3!!!! You guys are simply dreaming that an ABARTH will take a National Title with the SCCA in GS.

rrunner68
01-14-2016, 11:32 AM
Oh geez... Put a National Champ in a Focus ST, then put that same National Champ in an ABARTH... I know how this is going to turn out!!!

Focus ST takes the win by well over a second!!!! The ST has HUGE power advantage, and an overboost feature in 1-3!!!! You guys are simply dreaming that an ABARTH will take a National Title with the SCCA in GS.

Not planning on taking a National Title. Plan to take the car to an event and have some fun. I'm a decent driver and if I'm in a competitive/capable chassis; I'll win. In this case, it's our fist year with this car and I am just looking to have some fun and see how the car fits in it's class. I know some folks who can bend the right ears and if we can have a little proof to lay some ground work for re-classing; Tour or Nationals is the time to do it.

BigDaddySRT
01-14-2016, 12:26 PM
Not planning on taking a National Title. Plan to take the car to an event and have some fun. I'm a decent driver and if I'm in a competitive/capable chassis; I'll win. In this case, it's our fist year with this car and I am just looking to have some fun and see how the car fits in it's class. I know some folks who can bend the right ears and if we can have a little proof to lay some ground work for re-classing; Tour or Nationals is the time to do it.

The NA FIAT ABARTH 500 has been out since 2012... Here it's is 2016 and nobody has taken a National Title in GS with an ABARTH.

Can you guess why?

It's because the ABARTH is severely out gunned by any other car in GS.
You cannot re-engineer the ABARTH and stay in a stock Class.

I've never had more fun in my ABARTH since I left GS!!!

rrunner68
01-14-2016, 02:04 PM
The NA FIAT ABARTH 500 has been out since 2012... Here it's is 2016 and nobody has taken a National Title in GS with an ABARTH.

Can you guess why?

It's because the ABARTH is severely out gunned by any other car in GS.
You cannot re-engineer the ABARTH and stay in a stock Class.

I've never had more fun in my ABARTH since I left GS!!!

It's been 3 years and that is about the window the powers that be like to see before they make a class shift. You'll always have a class killer car; it is what it is with SCCA. I prefer a challenge in an under-rated car and when I shifted from my usual class to GS this year; the GTI and Focus guys IMMEDIATELY began scrutineering everything they could in the car because they knew the potential of the car with me driving in it. And the guys on 200tw and all the allowable mods getting beat up by me on stock tires and suspension were getting quite a good ribbing by the others.
I came from racing in a competitive unlimited class. I dominated that class (we would have 8-15 cars/drivers each championship) but staying on top of the pile was expensive and exhausting. I much more enjoy showing up; adjusting tire pressures and knocking my 4 runs out; BBQ with my friends in the pits; airing up and heading home. If I trophy; great, if not I can still go home grinning.

Simmonz
01-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Some people care more about winning than having fun. I drive the Abarth for the looks and the fun factor, most if not all the other hot hatches in the US have us on power but they are all pretty damn ugly IMO. Will I ever beat a Focus ST, sure if the driver sucks, do I care if I don't? Not really.

Robert Nixon
03-24-2016, 09:16 AM
Just wanted to add two thoughts:
1-the SCCA has announced the Abarth will move to HS in 2017, they are still taking comments
2-I saw the results from the first National Solo event, the Dixie Tour in Georgia last weekend, and the new 2016 VW GTI won GS. Looks like 2016 could be rough on Abarths with the Focus and GTIs.

BigDaddySRT
03-24-2016, 09:44 AM
Just wanted to add two thoughts:
1-the SCCA has announced the Abarth will move to HS in 2017, they are still taking comments
2-I saw the results from the first National Solo event, the Dixie Tour in Georgia last weekend, and the new 2016 VW GTI won GS. Looks like 2016 could be rough on Abarths with the Focus and GTIs.

Any idea if they were Performance Package GTi's?

Bigger Brakes. Electro Mechanical Limited Slip. More Horsepower. DCC Suspension.
Pretty Trick car.

Robert Nixon
03-24-2016, 01:07 PM
I'll try to find out if the GTI's had the Performance Pack, my son was driving his Miata there. Looking at the VW website that also adds 10 more HP to the base GTI, so 220hp.

here's the top ten at the Dixie Tour, places 1-9 on Bridgestones, 10th place on Hankook, full results at

http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files/scca/downloads/000/013/582/2016_Tire_Rack_Dixie_Championship_Tour_Final_Resul ts.pdf?1458586392

1-2016 VW GTI
2-2013 MAZDASPEED 3
3-2016 VW GTI
4-2013 FORD FOCUS ST
5-2013 FORD FOCUS ST
6-2014 MINI
7-2015 FORD FOCUS ST
8-2008 MAZDASPEED 3
9-2015 FORD FOCUS ST
10-2013 FOCUS ST

cgpiper
04-05-2016, 01:20 AM

Actually, I gained appreciably when I switched to Direzzas in 2014 and then to my RE71s last year. I gained at LEAST 2-3 seconds over the stock Pirellis. Some of that was just the learning curve, I'm sure, but keeping within a second of a champion AXer in his Fiesta ST last year was enough to convince me that the improvement is there.

doverosx
04-05-2016, 09:39 AM
What? Cheater tires definitely let you gain 1-2 seconds. It requires tremendous skill to outgun a car with 200tw tires if you've got 200tw tires; I know, I've done it. Now that I've got RS3 tires of my own, I'm picking on guys in S2ks, M3s, Vettes, etc. If course that is in my local club.

In SCCA nationals..... Well, you see, the caliber of driver increases substantially! I'd be very happy placing in the top 1/3...Though, my car is built for my local club and not SCCA.

Maystro
06-03-2016, 03:08 AM