PDA

View Full Version : Digitial Speedometer Just Disappeared.

HamlinFiat
01-09-2016, 12:38 AM
I leased my 2016 Fiat 500X Trekking FWD on 1/1/2016 and have been generally happy with it.

However, I would like to see the MPH readout on the center digital screen. It was there for the first few days I drove the car, but has just disappeared.

I tried to go into the menu, and went up and down with the arrows and pressed OK some dozens of times, but I can't find any menu option for turning the digital speedometer on.

I read my manual as well and I am only posting here as a last resort before I bring it back to the dealer for a really small problem.

Thank you for your help.

datasage
01-09-2016, 12:45 AM
Its not something you should be able to turn off. It may be hard to find at first if you don't understand how the screens are organized.

Pushing up/down on your steering wheel will change levels (Should be 7 different levels). Even level has one or more screens accessed by the left/right keys.

The digital speedometer is on the first level and is the first screen on that level.

jayadam63
01-09-2016, 12:45 AM
This might be helpful:

http://www.fiatusa.com/download/pdf/manuals/2016-FIAT-500X-UG-1st.pdf

Note Page 21:

NOTE:
If the speedometer, tachometer, or any engine related gauges are not working, the Occupant
Restraint Controller (ORC) may also be disabled. In this condition the air bags may
not be ready to inflate for your protection. Have an authorized dealer service the air bag
system immediately.

There are lots of other pages with the keyword "speedometer" in this full manual. Once loaded in your browser or PDF viewer, hit "Ctrl-F" then type the word "speedometer" in the search box. Will take you to all findings of that word in the document.

Good luck!

-Jay

datasage
01-09-2016, 12:57 AM
This might be helpful:

http://www.fiatusa.com/download/pdf/manuals/2016-FIAT-500X-UG-1st.pdf

Note Page 21:

NOTE:
If the speedometer, tachometer, or any engine related gauges are not working, the Occupant
Restraint Controller (ORC) may also be disabled. In this condition the air bags may
not be ready to inflate for your protection. Have an authorized dealer service the air bag
system immediately.

There are lots of other pages with the keyword "speedometer" in this full manual. Once loaded in your browser or PDF viewer, hit "Ctrl-F" then type the word "speedometer" in the search box. Will take you to all findings of that word in the document.

Good luck!

-Jay

There is an "analog" speedometer and tachometer, in addiction to the digital speedometer on the EVIC display. It appears this would affect the analog one.

jayadam63
01-09-2016, 01:17 AM
There is an "analog" speedometer and tachometer, in addiction to the digital speedometer on the EVIC display. It appears this would affect the analog one.

Well at least now they have the document so they can look it up themselves.

Problem may require they take the car to the dealer.

TheGonz
01-09-2016, 12:29 PM
This may be a silly response, and you may have bigger problem, but it could be that it's just a documentation issue. The manual sucks, and the only way I learned how to work the thing is by messing with it. And, being that you have only had the car for a few days, you may not have had time to learn some of its quirks.

Use the up and down arrows on the left side of the wheel. Do you get anything anything at all on the screen? if you get to a screen that looks like it contains statistics about your trip (mileage, miles driven, average speed, time of trip or other such information) do you see the little dots above that information? Maybe six or so of them? That means there are other "pages" of information.

Once you get to to the screen that seems to show statistics about your trip, use the left and right arrows to change "pages." The speedometer is the first "page" in the "trip data" category.

So the up and down arrows change the "category" of information shown. Trip data, vehicle monitoring (things like oil pressure, etc), then there is thing that shows you what's on the radio, etc. Most of those "categories" have multiple "pages" that are navigated with the left/right arrows.

Of the two complaints I have with the 500x (other than the manual sucking), it is that they couldn't install a timed headlight relay. If you leave the headlight switch on by accident, they won't go out until the battery is dead. Even a 500 Pop won't do that and it seems counterintuitive that with Fiat's higher-end model and trim levels, they didn't think to include that. Every car I've had in the last fifteen years, all the way from a Lexus GS on down to a base-model VW Golf (with manual windows) had a timed headlight relay to save your battery.

My only other complaint is the speedometer. The little analog one to the left is ridiculous. It's small, and it's not where it should be. And the digital speedo disappears every time I do something. Switch into sport or traction+ mode? Gone. Turn the cruise control on or off? It disappears for 5 seconds while the display tells me I put the cruise control on or off. There really should be a way to have the speedo the default, always on thing in the display. If I really am dying to know how many Gs I'm pulling (the default screen in sport mode) in a compact crossover vehicle with my girlfriend's kid in the back seat on the way to her swim meet, or if I just gotta know the front rear torque split (default in traction+) then I'll navigate to those screens myself, thank you very much.

Otherwise, I want a useful speedo, and I want it there all the time unless I decide I want something different.