PDA

View Full Version : Sirius XM Issues.

ramonhawk
12-21-2015, 03:04 PM
Good Afternoon,

Firstable, Happy holidays for yall here.
The reason of this second post is to find out if im the only one having this issue,

I registered my XM unit for the trial, 60 day trial. Now the trial is almost up and they guys at XM
really try for you to renew services with them however, the signal I get is horrible.
It cuts off and then goes to the message "acquiring signal" with clear sky and no visible obstruction.
I updated the unit's firmware like a week after I got the car and according to the website i have the most current one.
I drove my girl's ILX thru the same streets where i have issues and her unit never lost signal.

My question to yall is...
do we have cheap receivers or theres something wrong with mine?

Any feedback or responses will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards.

smark
12-21-2015, 05:33 PM
I used them for 3 1/2 years. Too $$$$. Sound Quality is poor. Mines never cut out. Might just be your system.

Simmonz
12-21-2015, 05:45 PM
I really don't care for the quality of XM, I've had free trials on about 5 different cars and even with a good system (my Challengers) it always sounds...Tinny for lack of a better word.
That being said, I haven't had any issues with my Abarths XM the handful of times I've used it.

datasage
12-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Pretty sure it has something to do with trying to jam as many channels as possible into the spectrum they are allotted. Which results in each channel being assigned as little bandwidth as possible. Talk channels are especially low.

The signal issue probably has something to do with the antenna, or the connection to it.

CraigM
12-21-2015, 06:25 PM
You said the conditions were good at your location, but I wonder if the uplink path to the satellites could also cause problems? I don't know where XM's uplink transmitters are located, but wonder if there are thunderstorms in that area if that can cause problems nationwide? I'm no expert, but I'm guessing their satellites are in geosynchronous orbit over the equator? If so, that can be a long distance, and signal attenuation can happen.

This is my first car with XM, and enjoy the 2-3 channels we have actually listened to. Sound quality seems OK to my 70 year old ears, but I did work on jet aircraft for 20+ years.

ramonhawk
12-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Im in Houston and my girl's acura ILX has no problems in areas i do have cut off issues so it may be the unit.
Thanks for your responses, it seems i will have to take it to an studio and see what excuse they give me, I have spotify premium so it seems like a better option than XM.

Regards.

SeaDawg
12-21-2015, 11:36 PM
Im in Houston and my girl's acura ILX has no problems in areas i do have cut off issues so it may be the unit.
Thanks for your responses, it seems i will have to take it to an studio and see what excuse they give me, I have spotify premium so it seems like a better option than XM.
Regards.

Did you buy your FIAT new? I ask because they used to come with a YEAR free trial with all the channels, then you had to pay. I saw where you said something about a '60 day' free trial.

Cut, cut, cut. I hope they don't go back to the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty on the car.

Thunderbolt
12-22-2015, 12:25 AM
Also, if you DO decide to continue the subscription, they will do it for a LOT less than retail if you grind them.

I don't remember the official "lowest" price that they'll accept, but you can Google it.

ramonhawk
12-22-2015, 02:25 AM
Did you buy your FIAT new? I ask because they used to come with a YEAR free trial with all the channels, then you had to pay. I saw where you said something about a '60 day' free trial.

Cut, cut, cut. I hope they don't go back to the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty on the car.

Actually no, i bought it pre-owned with like 16k miles that's why i only got a 60 day trial ending on like a few days and i have gotten emails and all that with different offers... I'm really considering it due to the signal issues...
They have different "packages" but like Thunderbolt said let's give them a call and lets see what they say.
Btw before i forget, sometimes the little speaker next to handle on the driver side fails to work unless i turn the volume up.. is this normal or im just having bad luck here?

Also according to user fiat cares i have a 4 year/50k warranty. I hope i don't encounter any issues and if i do they are covered by the warranty.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Best regards

smark
12-22-2015, 06:49 PM
I wish Fiat, would bring back 3 years 36K mile free maintance. Wipers, bulbs, filters, ever thing covered.

SeaDawg
12-22-2015, 11:55 PM
Btw before i forget, sometimes the little speaker next to handle on the driver side fails to work unless i turn the volume up.. is this normal or im just having bad luck here?

Also according to user fiat cares i have a 4 year/50k warranty. I hope i don't encounter any issues and if i do they are covered by the warranty.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Best regards

It currently is still 48 months 50,000 miles warranty. I would make sure you get it in to the studio and have them ride with you to demonstrate what the Sirius radio AND that speaker are doing. It sounds like they are possibly going to have to change out the radio and possibly troubleshoot the speaker/wiring. Good Luck!

ramonhawk
12-23-2015, 12:43 PM
It currently is still 48 months 50,000 miles warranty. I would make sure you get it in to the studio and have them ride with you to demonstrate what the Sirius radio AND that speaker are doing. It sounds like they are possibly going to have to change out the radio and possibly troubleshoot the speaker/wiring. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advise, I will take it one of these days hopefully they can get it fixed. Now question is...do you have to make an appointment or just take it?

Thunderbolt
12-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Best to make an appointment.

Lorx7
01-07-2016, 01:29 PM
My cuts out too. But when it working its come in clear but i think when the quality of the Audio drop the radio cuts it early. At work we have a 2015 E-class benz for drive people around and when i use it cut out too even at clear skys. I think the OEM receivers might be as good as an Aftermarket radio one.

GuyOnTheAir
02-11-2016, 07:34 PM
In my 500L, two different radios haven't been great with XM. With the latest update you can download and install yourself, it seemed to improve slightly, but still much worse than a $29 XM standalone radio I had in my old vehicle, and much worse than the XM in rental cars they keep giving me (from Enterprise, not Fiats) when I take mine in for yet another service.

I think either the receiver is junky, or the antenna positioning, or both. Unfortunately, I don't offer much hope.

Does your backup camera also jerk? If it does, you probably don't have the latest radio update...

ramonhawk
02-12-2016, 12:16 PM
I gave up on XM radio i think it could be the unit and/or the antenna. Might as well just stick to spotify premium. And the backup camera works as advertised no problems here.
i think it would be great if we had the options to customize the screen (like change colors, fonts, etc)

CraigM
02-12-2016, 06:38 PM
I'm down to one month of XM-Sirius service on my 500e. Although we have been using it, I don't think I'll be paying for a subscription. Being the 500e, I never drive it very far outside my local area and I think a free service such as Pandora will work for us, especially with T-Mobile offering free music streaming. If I did lots of open road driving, I might be inclined to subscribe.

Lorx7
02-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Does anyone know if there a booster for the antenna?

X19
02-26-2016, 04:43 PM
We have SXM in both our FIATs (2012 500; 2014 500L - it even has a shorty antenna!). Both work great in town, on highway, was just in Chicago and no problems. Maybe we are just lucky.

BlaznFattyz
05-29-2016, 11:56 PM
im in california.. my radio goes out from time to time with the "acquiring signal" message. not enough to smash it with a hammer, but more than normal.