PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to change my OEM brakes and rotors?

Brokernum1
12-20-2015, 12:57 AM
Hi everyone,

I own a 2012 abarth with 27,000 miles.
About a week ago I started to hear a grinding noise when attempting to stop from a relatively slow speed. I think it's coming from my brakes but I'm no expert. So I decided to post some pictures of the rotors for feedback from this wonderful community. This is obviously an issue I need to address immediately so your urgent help is greatly appreciated.

SeaDawg
12-20-2015, 01:38 PM
To really see whether you need new brake pads, you need to look at the BRAKE PADS, not the rotors. The one rotor looks like there may be some debris lodged between the caliper/pad and the rotor which is causing the noise as well as that wide groove in the rotor, other than that your rotors look pretty good to me. I would suggest putting it on a lift and pulling the wheels so you can get a good look at the pads and calipers.

Brokernum1
12-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Ok I will look into it thanks.

Megalomaniacal
12-21-2015, 10:34 AM
When your brakes are cold,

run your fingernail across those grooves in the rotors, if they are deep enough to catch your nail, you will need to get them resurfaced or (turned) it is not expensive to do, also as stated, check your pads for damage, cracks, and glazing. maybe time to upgrade from OEM to something a little more robust

Brokernum1
12-21-2015, 11:59 PM
Any recommendations for good but not too expensive rotors and pads that work well with the abarth?

Megalomaniacal
12-22-2015, 10:12 AM
OEM blank rotors are fine, you won't see the limit of them with street applications

pads you can go with hawk hp+, or EBC, anything OEM+

don't go ceramic as you don't need that much of a jump in pads.

boxerbay
12-22-2015, 02:22 PM
rotors look toasted.

R1 rotors are great. Stock rotors are more expensive.

Tweak
12-23-2015, 12:52 AM
To really see whether you need new brake pads, you need to look at the BRAKE PADS, not the rotors. The one rotor looks like there may be some debris lodged between the caliper/pad and the rotor which is causing the noise as well as that wide groove in the rotor, other than that your rotors look pretty good to me. I would suggest putting it on a lift and pulling the wheels so you can get a good look at the pads and calipers.

One definitely has or had something stuck in there, ate a nice groove into that rotor!

Purgatory
12-23-2015, 09:08 PM
You might just want to have OEM rotors lightly surfaced, and put some OEM pads back on.

If you want looks and can afford the upgrade, I recommend what I did at 15k miles, put on the RRM drilled/slotted rotors and their Sports Pad. Pricey, but looks and feels great, lot of good bite, and reduced brake dust by at least 1/2

doverosx
12-24-2015, 07:14 AM
You might just want to have OEM rotors lightly surfaced, and put some OEM pads back on.

If you want looks and can afford the upgrade, I recommend what I did at 15k miles, put on the RRM drilled/slotted rotors and their Sports Pad. Pricey, but looks and feels great, lot of good bite, and reduced brake dust by at least 1/2

I wouldn't resurface but I would sand both sides with 120 al.ox sand paper on each rotor. Removes the brake pads material and the OE pads fit the usage range for most people anyway.

Megalomaniacal
12-24-2015, 11:28 AM
drilled rotors on street cars are absolutely a waste of money.

Save your money and stick with blanks, maybe slotted if you want to cool looks. But I promise you maybe a tiny percentage of people on this forum actually drive their cars to the brink where they'd notice the difference between blank and drilled rotors.

Tweak
12-24-2015, 11:25 PM
drilled rotors on street cars are absolutely a waste of money.

Save your money and stick with blanks, maybe slotted if you want to cool looks. But I promise you maybe a tiny percentage of people on this forum actually drive their cars to the brink where they'd notice the difference between blank and drilled rotors.

My thoughts are they don't use them on race cars (well some anyway I guess) so I likely don't need them. I have pushed beyond what the OEM brakes can handle but slotted/dimpled seems a more ideal choice.

Megalomaniacal
12-28-2015, 11:32 AM
My thoughts are they don't use them on race cars (well some anyway I guess) so I likely don't need them. I have pushed beyond what the OEM brakes can handle but slotted/dimpled seems a more ideal choice.

You are in the tiny percentage :P

Tweak
12-28-2015, 03:20 PM
You are in the tiny percentage :P

It would seem so. :) (It's a LOT of fun being in that percentage by the way).

waygookin
01-01-2016, 03:46 AM
OEM blank rotors are fine, you won't see the limit of them with street applications

pads you can go with hawk hp+, or EBC, anything OEM+

don't go ceramic as you don't need that much of a jump in pads.

Will ceramic reduce noise? I was told my squeaking issue (which you can see in another post) is due to my brakes. I am supposed to change rear rotors and pads (at 10K miles lmao) and that should get rid of the noise. So I figured I would go ceramic. Bad idea?

Brokernum1
01-05-2016, 12:42 AM
I purchased front rotors and brakepads from Chris at Eurocompulsion who quoted me less than half the price my fiat studio did. He then linked me up with Steve from El Gato Engineering who performed the installation work.
These guys are true professionals and a pleasure to do business with.

Brokernum1
01-05-2016, 12:43 AM
Close thread please

Purgatory
01-05-2016, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't resurface but I would sand both sides with 120 al.ox sand paper on each rotor. Removes the brake pads material and the OE pads fit the usage range for most people anyway.

I did what I did, 90% for the look, which I happen to like. Whether its the new rotors or the new pads or both, but brake dust has been cut in half or even more. With my white rims, that's a blessing itself. I know you didn't say this, but I get annoyed when others say its a waste of money. Very subjective, I feel that way about those that spend thousands of dollars putting carbon fiber parts all over their cars. Glad we all don't like the same thing, life would be boring.

Megalomaniacal
01-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Will ceramic reduce noise? I was told my squeaking issue (which you can see in another post) is due to my brakes. I am supposed to change rear rotors and pads (at 10K miles lmao) and that should get rid of the noise. So I figured I would go ceramic. Bad idea?

Ceramic brakes do not decrease noise. They operate better at a hotter temperature (which is why they are used in track cars) but at colder temps (daily driving) they will squeal and squeak more.

Tweak
01-07-2016, 01:31 AM
Close thread please

Closed as requested.

(Couldn't tell is Steve was wearing one of his cat shorts since his back was turned). :D