PDA

View Full Version : Ancira Fiat in San Antonio, TX - CLOSED

Boschetto al Tartufo
12-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Ancira Fiat, the only remaining Fiat dealer in San Antonio, Texas, has closed. According to this article on allpar.com (http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2015/12/another-fiat-dealer-closed-30801), Ancira Fiat closed, the article citing a disagreement between FCA and Ancira regarding the building used as the Fiat Studio and that Ancira can no longer sell Fiats as of December 13, 2015, nor can they perform any warranty work on them.

For Fiat owners residing in the San Antonio metro area, the nearest Fiat dealer is 75 miles away in Austin.

Around this same time of month in May 2015, Cavender Fiat in Selma, TX, closed its doors. Cavender was the largest Fiat and only Alfa Romeo dealer in South Texas. As of this post, the former Cavender Fiat Studio sits unoccupied along the I-35 frontage road in Selma, the Fiat and dealer logos have been removed.

The allpar article states that FCA claims the problem may be temporary as Fiat would like to open a new Studio once they find an appropriate dealer and facility in the San Antonio area. That a dealer is actually willing to front the capital, despite the failure of two previous Fiat dealerships, remains to be seen. Given the tepid reception the San Antonio market has shown the Fiat product, I would not be surprised if a local dealer declines to do so.

The demographics here are fairly low-brow in terms of automotive taste, with pickup trucks and SUVs being dominant. Given the predilection for DUI that San Antonians statistically lean towards, they tend to gravitate to larger vehicles in the erroneous thought that a larger vehicle keeps them safer in a crash. That's no joke, I've actually had several people in that city provide that rationale as their sole reason for owning a truck. Therefore, a vehicle the size of a Fiat would be deemed decidedly unsafe in the eyes of someone who thinks in that way.

Let's hope for those area residents who own and love their Fiats that a Fiat-authorized service facility and Studio are available again in the San Antonio metro area.