PDA

View Full Version : Jan 2016 Car & Driver Article

morrisg
12-14-2015, 01:32 AM
I got a chance to read the Fiat 124 article in the Jan 2016 Car & Driver today. Two things that stood out for me: First, suspension tuning involved changes to shocks, sway bars, springs and the power steering assist programming. This coupled with the Enrico Genchi quote that the Fiat 124 will have much less body roll than the Mazda MX5 ND says that the Fiat will handle better in the corners than the ND. Less body roll means less weight transfer means the inside/outside tire contact patches are more evenly loaded which means more grip. This is very good news.

The second thing that stood out was that the Fiat 124 has an additional front subframe brace to stiffen the front end. This means the Fiat 124 has better torsional rigidity at the front. My guess is that the Fiat 1.4L turbo has so much torque that it required added stiffening. Again, better handling results with a small penalty of the few pounds weight of the brace.

The article also talked about the rest of the car but I'm an autox competitor and these two are what stood out to me!

Robert Nixon
12-15-2015, 12:13 PM
That will make things very interesting if the Spider can out perform the Miata in Autocross!