PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel spacers installation. HELP!

jamonda
12-09-2015, 05:27 PM
Hi, friends.
I bought 10mm Otis Wheel Spacers for my 2015 Abarth and decided to install them by myself.
No problem with the front wheels, but I couldn't install the spacers on the rear wheels because of the hub caps (see the attached picture).
The wheel spacers just don't fit with the caps and I don't know how to remove them. I don't even know if they are necessary.
Can anybody help me?
Thanks in advance.

BigDaddySRT
12-09-2015, 09:54 PM
Those are caps covering the rear wheel bearing hub assembly.

You don't want to remove them. Your rear wheel bearings will be destroyed real quick.

shadowshaggy
12-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Have a machine shop make the hub hole larger. May wanna check the ones you installed up front to see if the holes are the same size or not, just an idea without seeing them.

doverosx
12-10-2015, 08:41 AM
Why isn't the spacer fitting? As was said, the caps are for your wheel bearings, you can remove them and put them back on. Grab a hammer and screw driver and chisel at opposite sides to deform the cap.... But to be honest if something I bought didn't fit as advertised I'd be making a call first.

jamonda
12-10-2015, 05:40 PM
I measured the spacers and the caps. I think I'll be able to remove the caps, install the wheel spacers and then put the caps over them. I'll teel you later, because now I need to buy a tool to pull the caps, because I couldn't remove them with a screw driver.

jamonda
12-12-2015, 07:03 AM
I gave up. It's impossible to remove the grease cap without a specific tool, which I'll not buy.
I'm also not sure if I'll be able to install the grease cap over the wheel spacer. They are not compatible.
I'll return the Otis Wheel Spacers because, in my opinion, they are crap.

DO YOU KNOW IF THERE IS A WHEEL SPACER THAT WILL FIT ON THE REAR HUB WITH THE GREASE CAPS ON?

doverosx
12-12-2015, 09:55 AM
I gave up. It's impossible to remove the grease cap without a specific tool, which I'll not buy.
I'm also not sure if I'll be able to install the grease cap over the wheel spacer. They are not compatible.
I'll return the Otis Wheel Spacers because, in my opinion, they are crap.

DO YOU KNOW IF THERE IS A WHEEL SPACER THAT WILL FIT ON THE REAR HUB WITH THE GREASE CAPS ON?

H&R spacers from Eurocompulsion worked for me! I spray them with rust check coat and spray and every shop that has seen my car always replies with "what spacers?" When I mention them. That's how well they fit.

streetsurfer
12-12-2015, 01:15 PM
I think some youtube video of removing grease caps may help, if it is something new to you. I dont think you should need a special tool. A rubber mallet or soft faced dbh will work. A pair of channel locks can also do it. Grip the cap and rock the pliers back and forth as you pull outward. A wonder Bar or other pry bar should work by driving the edge between the cap and hub with a mallet as you prise the tool sideways in the gap. . Alternater hits from one side to the other with a rubber mallet coming at 90 or greater from opposing sides is another way to remove grease caps. A sligHt angle from rear forward is helpful if you have room for the swing. It should loosen enough that you can extract it with a pry bar or screwdriver or channel locks bit by bit until its loose.

My eibachs went on fine.

jamonda
12-12-2015, 05:06 PM
I managed to remove the cap with a chisel and a hammer, then I installed the spacer. But I couldn't install the cap on the spacer.

As I couldn't let the bearings unprotected, I tried to install the spacer on the hub with the cap. At first I found that I could do that. I imagined that the gap of about 1mm between the hub and the spacer would disappear when the wheel was installed (it would press a bit the cap when the lug nuts were torqued, I thought).

However, I was wrong. I heard a 'crack' sound when I torqued the lug nuts. After I uninstalled the wheel again to check what happened I realized that the spacer was broken. Actually, a small rim which pressed the cap was detached from the base of the spacer.

Anyway, I think it's still usable, as it seems to have been processed by a machine shop. But I'm not sure if it's still hub centric.

So now I'm sure that the Otis 10mm Black Wheel Spacers that I bought at Eurocompulsion.net can't be installed on the rear wheels of a 2015 Abarth, unless you remove the grease caps.

Otis? Never more.

Stagarm
07-17-2018, 09:53 PM
Any update on installing spacers on the rear of 2015 fiats?