PDA

View Full Version : Considering the 500X

EliRider
12-07-2015, 11:13 AM
Had my 2012 Abarth in for service last week and the Portland Ron Tonkin Fiat studio provided a 2016 500X as a loner car. The service manager at Tonkin (Mark) is fantastic!

To my pleasant surprise my wife loves this car. She currently driving a Range Rover Sport and considering a smaller compact SUV class car for better fuel mileage. We both were very impressed by the various transmission select modes. One of her complaints about the other cars was a concern of visibility. However she did not feel this in the 2.5L 500X. Probably because I spent a lot of time adjusting the mirrors to accommodate her preferences. The automatic transmission shifted very smoothly with the right levels of power. She loves the styling and the dash.

The sad news that I may have to make a decision to trade in the Abarth since my wife will not drive it... but she is really stoked about considering a Fiat that we can both drive.

My next dilemma is waiting for the Spider Abarth model. In the meantime, we need a truck and perhaps the 500X. :-)

TheGonz
12-07-2015, 04:49 PM
I have had mine for nearly three weeks today, and I have 1,000 miles on it. You know how it is when you get a new car: you look for any excuse to drive. "Sure, I could go to the grocery store a mile away and even ride the bicycle there, but you know the one 7 miles from here has much nicer produce and a better selection...."

It's good that you found the transmission likable: a lot of us have not, including many in the trade publications. For many of us, it seems to hunt for gears a lot. Mine also seems to be very slow to respond to kick-down requests which has been a little bothersome on freeway on-ramps when you sometimes need to accelerate harder to get ahead of some a***ole who won't move over one lane to let you in, even though the lane is open to him.

It makes me wonder if there isn't some update to the transmission's software that more recently built cars have that mine does not. Mine was made in July.

After two years behind the wheel of the Abarth, it feels like driving a tank. It's not that big a car by American standards, but after two years in a 500, I guess pretty much anything feels like a big car.

Everyone I've had in it so far seems to like it. I get a lot of looks, and have seen people staring at it in parking lots when I have come out of places. I used to get that a lot with the Abarth, but it seemed to have faded after the car was not as new and more people were used to seeing them around.

I miss the raw emotional edge of the Abarth and just how much faster it felt. I miss the sound, too. I just miss how juvenile the Abarth really was. The 500X is lot more civilized. It's quiet and conservative. Rides better. Has more safety features. It just feels more grownup.

My girlfriend jokes that trading the Abarth on the 500X shows that I'm getting older and my biological clock is starting to tick louder. I'm a 40-year-old guy, pretty freshly divorced with no kids, and as soon as I start dating a single mother I run out and trade off my loud, fast hooligan car for a mini SUV that is better for small families.

She says the next step is a minivan; I say she's quite daft if she thinks she'll ever see me in a minivan that isn't a vacation rental.

CoachRick
12-07-2015, 05:09 PM
This old guy chose the 500L and appreciates the near-360 visibility ;) ...and the cargo room...and the transmission. :)

Fiat500USA
12-07-2015, 05:35 PM
The 500X had a new software update on Dec 5th with some driveability enhancements:

Garage Shifts (Shifting from Park or Neutral into Drive or Reverse).
Harsh 1-2 upshifts.
Less than desired accelerator pedal response in Sport and TractionPlus modes.
RPM flare at engine start.
Less than desired idle performance when shifting into DRIVE or REVERSE following
a cold start.

I'll have more in an upcoming post.

TheGonz
12-07-2015, 06:31 PM
This old guy chose the 500L and appreciates the near-360 visibility ;) ...and the cargo room...and the transmission. :)

I've always liked the Elle. I did the first time I saw one. I know they're not everyone's cuppa tea, but think they're perfectly reasonable.

I really did want AWD though. When I went to the dealer I told them I wanted AWD and the panoramic glass roof (my girlfriend's little one would really get a kick out of that roof, and so would I). But they didn't have one that had both; it was one or the other.

So I chose AWD over the panoramic roof. It seemed practical. I was going to be the guy who shows up at work every day, even when we had a lot of snow! I'm going to be reliable! The guy my boss can count on to get the job done, no matter what! Now that I've done that—of course—we're at the beginning of the warmest winter on record thus far, and it hasn't even come close to snowing yet.

It reminds me of when I lived in Wisconsin and finally broke down and bought a snowmobile; as soon I bought one, it didn't snow again for two years. Finally, after I sold it at a tremendous loss, we got four feet and it stayed around for months.

That's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.

zvez
12-07-2015, 07:24 PM
I bought a 500x for my wife last week, she absolutely loves it, she's had two priuses. But she immediately was very comfortable with this and especially likes the back up cam and collision avoidance. I find that it's a blast to drive. I had an abarth and you get a little bit of that in the X. Visibility is superb.

Chris

neubauerjoseph
12-07-2015, 07:42 PM
If I was going to get a SUV 500x is the one I would get. its the closest things to handling close to the 500 which I like a lot. Plus it has lots of features, and its pretty good cargo space.

zvez
12-07-2015, 08:34 PM
and the bonus that it's built in Italy is nice too!

datasage
12-07-2015, 08:56 PM
The 500X had a new software update on Dec 5th with some driveability enhancements:

Garage Shifts (Shifting from Park or Neutral into Drive or Reverse).
Harsh 1-2 upshifts.
Less than desired accelerator pedal response in Sport and TractionPlus modes.
RPM flare at engine start.
Less than desired idle performance when shifting into DRIVE or REVERSE following
a cold start.

I'll have more in an upcoming post.

That looks like the previous set up updates, from Octoberish. Did they mess something up?

datasage
12-07-2015, 11:39 PM
I have had mine for nearly three weeks today, and I have 1,000 miles on it. You know how it is when you get a new car: you look for any excuse to drive. "Sure, I could go to the grocery store a mile away and even ride the bicycle there, but you know the one 7 miles from here has much nicer produce and a better selection...."

It's good that you found the transmission likable: a lot of us have not, including many in the trade publications. For many of us, it seems to hunt for gears a lot. Mine also seems to be very slow to respond to kick-down requests which has been a little bothersome on freeway on-ramps when you sometimes need to accelerate harder to get ahead of some a***ole who won't move over one lane to let you in, even though the lane is open to him.

It makes me wonder if there isn't some update to the transmission's software that more recently built cars have that mine does not. Mine was made in July.

There was an update that was released around Sept/October timeframe. Unless you insisted they check for it, they may not have installed them. That update resolved most of the issues I had with the transmission.

I'm at 3500 miles now. While there are certain situations I will notice the transmission, most of the time I do not. Its certainly gotten much smoother.

Fiat500USA
12-08-2015, 02:38 AM
With so many gears it always impresses me that I don't notice the trans shifting that much. The good thing is that the ratios are such that the shifting is usually subtle and not jerky like a 3 or 4 speed. There are times I do feel some gear changes, though, especially when cold but I haven't had any updates since July. We hit 32.7 mpg on our first or second tank so the trans does what it's suppose to do. I'm happy with it.

Xtreme500
12-08-2015, 09:21 AM
With so many gears it always impresses me that I don't notice the trans shifting that much. The good thing is that the ratios are such that the shifting is usually subtle and not jerky like a 3 or 4 speed. There are times I do feel some gear changes, though, especially when cold but I haven't had any updates since July. We hit 32.7 mpg on our first or second tank so the trans does what it's suppose to do. I'm happy with it.

How are you getting such great mileage? You get about 10 MPG better than I do?

Xtreme500
12-08-2015, 09:25 AM
I say without hesitation get yourself a 500X if you can! I love mine the fit and finish is really nice, it has so many features for the price it is just mine blowing. I did consider a VW Tiguan also before purchasing mine but am glad I didn't since it is such a boring car by comparison.

TheGonz
12-08-2015, 10:52 AM
I say without hesitation get yourself a 500X if you can! I love mine the fit and finish is really nice, it has so many features for the price it is just mine blowing. I did consider a VW Tiguan also before purchasing mine but am glad I didn't since it is such a boring car by comparison.

As someone who has owned three VW/Audi products, I can tell you that you made the right choice.

Granted, I only had my Abarth for two years and put just under 30,000 miles on it, but I can say honestly those 30,000 miles were more trouble-free than they were for any of the VAG (Volkswagen Audi Group) products I had. The most recent one I had was a VW Golf that was slowly getting rebuilt, part-by-part, since the day it was new. It was in the shop within a week of buying it, and would go back at least once per month. Often twice per month.

As if selling premium-priced cars that are shoddily assembled out of the lowest quality parts that will last the warranty period isn't enough, they will try every trick in the book to deny warranty coverage when one of those low quality parts fails to survive past the warranty period.

VAG is a terrible company. I wish I could act surprised that they defrauded millions of customers and dozens of governments around the world with their recent emissions stunt, but I can't. It's perfectly characteristic of that company's unscrupulousness, and their intractable, avaricious desire for profit-taking today without any care for the long-term consequences of their customers—or even themselves.

If I live to be 200, Volkswagen-Audi Group will never get one more penny of my money, and I'll never miss an opportunity to persuade someone that they should not give VAG their money, either.

davevoss
12-08-2015, 11:54 AM

I purchased my 500X in October, and although it was manufactured months earlier, it received its updates before I took delivery, and the transmission shift very smoothly, so smooth in fact that lower rpm part throttle shifts are not felt at all, only noted on the display and the tachometer. Updating the software of new cars that are still on the lot might not be a priority at all dealerships, as I believe some wait until the cars are sold and back for service to check/update as necessary, so you might want to inquire the next time you are there.

With 9 speeds, the transmission in the 500X absolutely shifts more often, which I believe is why we've read so many comments about the transmission 'hunting' for gears, but it just seems obvious to me that with more gears, there will be more gear shifts, and those shifts will be more often, but in a deliberate way, not hunting at all. I wonder how many cars with 9 speed transmissions the published reviewers had driven prior to writing their articles, because it seems like they just weren't familiar with the technology.

CoachRick
12-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Six gears is a plenty! ;) Dang! Our C70 is only 5 speeds and we get along swimmingly :) NINE speeds!!! Next, you'll want fast food to come in SUPER size and you'll want to text or face with people anywhere in the world at an instant! Oh,,, Wait...never mind ;)

Fiat500USA
12-08-2015, 01:53 PM
How are you getting such great mileage? You get about 10 MPG better than I do?

That's highway mileage using cruise control on the way to the Fiat FreakOut last July. Eighth and ninth gear does come in handy.

Six gears is a plenty! ;) Dang! Our C70 is only 5 speeds and we get along swimmingly :) NINE speeds!!! Next, you'll want fast food to come in SUPER size and you'll want to text or face with people anywhere in the world at an instant! Oh,,, Wait...never mind ;)

The nine speeds are used to help with emissions as well as fuel economy. As you can see with the gas mileage above it does help. I do like the six speeds in the 500 and 500L and feel they are easier and more natural to shift manually than the nine speed. Lots of gears to keep track of when manually shifting the nine speed and I feel the trans actually does a good job of selecting the right gear most of the time.

datasage
12-09-2015, 01:49 AM
Highway milage is good, its not hard to get 28-33 mpg. City/Stop and Go driving leaves some to be desired though. A lot of my short trips (2-4 miles, city streets) are about 13-15 mpg (From Automatic app). Which is odd considering that its kind of targeted at city dwellers.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/fiat/500x/2016/datasage/389429

Robert Nixon
12-09-2015, 11:58 AM
The latest Motor Trend magazine (with Car of the Year, Truck of the Year, SUV of the year) included the 500X in their SUV of the year competition, but didn't like the auto transmission. Specifically, they stated that their was a big time delay in getting increased speed when flooring the gas pedal, but to be honest they said one example of this was at 80mph. They were going 80 already, stomped on the gas, and didn't get up to 81mph for 2.5 seconds. At least to me that doesn't sound like a huge problem, I'd have to guess that the automatic is not engineered to give instant response when you're already over legal speed limit just about everywhere.

I test drove an X and loved it.

davevoss
12-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Specifically, they stated that their was a big time delay in getting increased speed when flooring the gas pedal...

I believe there is an intentional (albeit short) delay between stepping on the accelerator pedal and the engine throttle opening, in order to provide a smoother driving experience, to give the car a better opportunity to manage traction, etc. I've noticed that the delay is not present (or as least too short to notice) when driving in sport mode.

datasage
12-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Just thinking for a programming perspective, its could turn into a rather complicated algorithm to figure out which gear you should be in based on a bunch of different parameters.

You would have to consider throttle position, how quickly the throttle position changed, current speed, current RPM, current gear, is the gear already changing, and driving profile. It may need to run this algorithm several times per second to see if its still in "correct position".

If you make changes too quickly or abruptly, you could thrash the transmission, if you take too long, you end up creating a poor driving experience.

neubauerjoseph
12-10-2015, 03:21 AM
I was just reading a post on autoblog, and they rated the Fiat 500X as on of the top cars, the author wrote that the Fiat 500X was the only first year model on the list and also the most surprising car on the IIHS. ALso he goes on to say that in a survey that many americans don't trust Fiat safety rep. so everytime I hear a speech at a autoshow fiat talks about the safety tech that goes into the car plus how well the cars do in the test. Anyway I just would share the good news to you guys and help you make the Fiat choice, I made that choice in Oct, of 2011 and been happy ever since. I am looking to get a 500X sometime in the future.

EliRider
12-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Well, we pulled the trigger yesterday for the 2016 500X Lounge. I post pictures in the 500X images.

Our 500X Lounge Bianco Gelato (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?23662-500X-Lounge-Bianco-Gelato&p=760818#post760818)

My wife drove a 2012 Range Rover Sport and is transitioning to the 500X. She adores this car and has adapted very quickly to my surprise. It all started when the Ron Tonkin Fiat service studio loaned a 500X during a service on my Abarth. And that was that.

We celebrated the car last night by finding a nice Italian restaurant in Old Town Sherwood, Oregon near our home. It was fantastic as many in the restaurant admired our new Fiat edition. Ron Tonkin provided a reasonable price of the car as it was the service manager who made the decision easy for us. Ron Tonkin has been a great supporter of our Portland Abarth Club which is an extra bonus.

I did have my service manager look up the VIN to see if all of the latest software updates have been applied. So we are good to go. I'm amazed in the amount of power with the 9 speed automatic and all of the safety features.

The next decision is if I hang on to my 2012 Abarth which provided an interesting journey and experience being one the first run cars in the US... And my Abarth license plate I would hate to give up:-) Or do I sell the 2012 Range Rover Sport... dang... I wish the 124 Spider was already here. That would make my decision even harder. Although the Alpha Spider is a curiosity.

Andree
12-16-2015, 11:59 AM
The latest Motor Trend magazine (with Car of the Year, Truck of the Year, SUV of the year) included the 500X in their SUV of the year competition, but didn't like the auto transmission. Specifically, they stated that their was a big time delay in getting increased speed when flooring the gas pedal, but to be honest they said one example of this was at 80mph. They were going 80 already, stomped on the gas, and didn't get up to 81mph for 2.5 seconds. At least to me that doesn't sound like a huge problem, I'd have to guess that the automatic is not engineered to give instant response when you're already over legal speed limit just about everywhere.

I test drove an X and loved it.

Wait, what area has an 80+ mph speed limit? It's a Fiat 500X, not a Formula 1 car.

CoachRick
12-17-2015, 12:51 AM
Wait, what area has an 80+ mph speed limit? It's a Fiat 500X, not a Formula 1 car.
C'mon out to central Texas...
BTW...our L jumps from 70-90 right zippy ;)

http://jalopnik.com/5941587/why-texas-insanely-fast-85-mph-speed-limit-isnt-a-big-deal