PDA

View Full Version : Service Keyless Entry Light on w/ Nothing Wrong

Matlock
11-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Greetings. I apologize for posting a whole new thread but couldn't find anywhere else to post my question. So I have a 500X and have been quite enjoying it. It was purchased in AUG and have had no issues up until today.

Currently the "Service Keyless Entry" light illuminates on the instrument cluster whenever I start it. It started after the following scenario: Wife and I are parked with it running with both fobs in the car. I exit the car with my fob and walk out of range, 500X is still running. My wife remains in the car with her fob because our daughter was asleep. While I'm out of range (getting food) she shuts the car off. I come back to the car, get behind the wheel, and start as normal with both fobs now back in the car. When I started the car, the "Service Keyless Entry" icon showed up. Now whenever I start the car, the icon is on and stays on until shutdown.

There doesn't appear to be anything adverse going on. Both fobs can lock and unlock the car by handle and by remote, and the car starts as normal with both fobs. The owner's manual entry on page 95 literally just says "What to Do: Contact an authorized dealer." I'm not in a position to take the car in at the moment and won't for several days. I figured I would consult the forum and see if anyone has run into this then call the Studio if there aren't any suggestions.

I greatly appreciate any assistance or suggestions you guys might have and will let you know what becomes of it.

datasage
11-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Greetings. I apologize for posting a whole new thread but couldn't find anywhere else to post my question. So I have a 500X and have been quite enjoying it. It was purchased in AUG and have had no issues up until today.

Currently the "Service Keyless Entry" light illuminates on the instrument cluster whenever I start it. It started after the following scenario: Wife and I are parked with it running with both fobs in the car. I exit the car with my fob and walk out of range, 500X is still running. My wife remains in the car with her fob because our daughter was asleep. While I'm out of range (getting food) she shuts the car off. I come back to the car, get behind the wheel, and start as normal with both fobs now back in the car. When I started the car, the "Service Keyless Entry" icon showed up. Now whenever I start the car, the icon is on and stays on until shutdown.

There doesn't appear to be anything adverse going on. Both fobs can lock and unlock the car by handle and by remote, and the car starts as normal with both fobs. The owner's manual entry on page 95 literally just says "What to Do: Contact an authorized dealer." I'm not in a position to take the car in at the moment and won't for several days. I figured I would consult the forum and see if anyone has run into this then call the Studio if there aren't any suggestions.

I greatly appreciate any assistance or suggestions you guys might have and will let you know what becomes of it.

Its quite possible it got confused when you walked away leaving the car running. It recorded the fault, and now wont clear on its own. You may be able to reset the message by removing a cable from the battery for 10-20 seconds.

Although its been fixed already, there was an issue with the earliest models, that caused the power locks to stop working. It turned out to be a software bug with the body control module (computer responsible for door locks among other things).

Matlock
12-01-2015, 10:04 AM
I appreciate the response. That's what I figured, at this point the fault just needs to be reset but wanted to see if there was something I could do myself. I've got an appointment with the Studio on Friday to take care of the service bulletins and they said they'd take a look at this also. I'll report back what they do and if they can tell what actually caused the fault.

Out of curiosity, do you lose anything by pulling a battery cable such as navigation favorites, stations, etc.?

500X_JML
12-01-2015, 11:59 AM

Try resetting the key fob by taking out the battery, starting the car with it, then putting the battery back in.

Matlock
12-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Alright so an update after a visit to the Studio. The short version is, they didn't fix it. The service manager said the car is reporting the fault as "active" and that they couldn't just clear it. He said the tech got to the point in the troubleshooting tree that door panels were going to have to come off and major parts removed/replaced. Because of this, they sent me home and I have another appointment to drop the car off and take a loaner next week. Unfortunately I'm heading out of town soon and haven't had time to try the suggestions above. If I do, first thing I'm going to try is pulling the battery cable for a reset then I'll move on to the fob idea.