PDA

View Full Version : CR Review

datasage
11-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Consumer Reports reviewed the 500x. They didn't really like it. While some of their cons are subjective, it appears some of their issues would have been addresses with the transmission updates.

I think some of their points are warranted, but some of them just seem off or just subjective. They complain about the fact that you can replace the radio with an after market one, something I don't think is possible with any car that has integrated entertainment systems.

If you have a subscription and want to read it, go here: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/fiat-500x-road-test.htm

Maricopaman
11-20-2015, 01:21 PM
I used to subscribe to CR, while I found they had tons of useful reviews and information I always thought their car reports were heavily biased towards the Japanese and very negative about American cars. Road & Track, Car & Driver and Motor Trend would all give high marks to cars and CR would diss them every time. (Hmmm high marks on the Vega? I wonder who was right on that one?):fox: I take anything I read with a grain of salt, look at the specs, drive it for yourself and go to forums like this, then make up your mind!

500ways
11-20-2015, 02:13 PM
I don't believe CR to be an objective publication; there may also be a bias toward the highest bidder.

datasage
11-20-2015, 02:39 PM
I don't believe CR to be an objective publication; there may also be a bias toward the highest bidder.

They seem to value utilitarian qualities of a vehicle, which may or may not map to the values of the buyer. They consider the small cargo space a con, which i knew was small going in. But its also not important to me. I rarely haul enough stuff around where that would become a problem.

They did complain about the idle vibration which i do have to agree with. Most of the type its fine, but i live in a condo building and park in underground garage, When i leave the garage, i may have to wait a bit before turning on to the street. The garage exit area causes the vibration to reverberate even more. Other than that though, its not really a problem for me.

X19
11-20-2015, 03:01 PM
500ways - CR claims to be bias free because they don't accept advertising, although obviously they get lots of $ besides subscriptions. Are you confusing it with Consumer Guide?

Rags747
11-20-2015, 03:15 PM
Have always thought that CR is great for dish washers and vacuum cleaners, cars not so much. It's pretty much meant for people who see a car as an appliance as that is the largest market, thus all the Hondas.

datasage
11-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Have always thought that CR is great for dish washers and vacuum cleaners, cars not so much. It's pretty much meant for people who see a car as an appliance as that is the largest market, thus all the Hondas.

Thats a good way to put it actually.

500ways
11-20-2015, 03:45 PM
500ways - CR claims to be bias free because they don't accept advertising, although obviously they get lots of $ besides subscriptions. Are you confusing it with Consumer Guide?

It is very interesting how they are able to employ many folks to test and memorialize their experiences over years with the MANY items available in the US market in incredible detail. They may even have to purchase some of the items they test. I don't know if the vehicles are provided for free for them to evaluate. Maybe some vehicles they have to purchase.

All that being said, in order to be bias free, all of the products they review should be purchased at arm's length, no? That is a HUGE expense.

So, they don't accept advertising $$ and the subscription rates are nominal and they operate as a US non-profit corporation.

Where does all the money come from?

datasage
11-20-2015, 03:48 PM
They can recoup a good chunk of the value selling the cars after testing them. They don't test every single version either. As far as I know they do buy the cars.

Joe
11-20-2015, 04:42 PM
They bought their X from my studio. I believe it was a green easy, maybe a collection 2... It was one of our first 500Xs in. They traded an awful looking light green Ford CMax in on it.

Robert Nixon
11-20-2015, 05:06 PM
CR has always said that they buy their own cars.

I've always said I don't like their car reviews.

Your mileage may vary.

Fiat500USA
11-21-2015, 01:18 AM
Here is the problem. They come in with preconceived notions. When the 500 first was discussed as coming to the US in 2009, they brought up the past, HOWEVER, they conveniently neglected to say that they themselves routinely rated Fiats as recommended buys back then. In fact when I commented on that on their site they deleted it. They also rated the Fiat X1/9 as a dangerous handling vehicle, which is ridiculous. They said the X1/9 looked like a partly assembled kit car - an absolutely subjective statement. They would frequently make these subjective statements whenever they tested an Italian car.

Fast forward to the current 500 and they panned the car for the ride, yet failed to mention the car they tested had the stiffer sport suspension. They also complained about the trunk room, but don't balance the criticism with mentioning just how small the car is, which we all know is very roomy considering its size.

They are good for appliances and probably appliance like cars. It's sad because I had grown up reading them and it helped me become critical when evaluating cars. I was disappointed when they became more subjective and opinionated.

X19
11-21-2015, 01:55 PM
As an X-1/9 was my first car, I can state with with certainty it was an incredibly good handling car. (Mid-engined!) However, when it did let go (driving stoopidly, mind you), it let go with a vengeance. I had my rims bent back into shape, and a few new tires, until I figured out where my abilities ended.