PDA

View Full Version : 2015 500L No splash shield/belly under engine?

gramada
11-20-2015, 12:06 PM
greetings!
just took my great 2015 500L Trekking for its first oil change. First thing the mechanic told me - and pointed to me -
was the complete and utter Exposure of the underbelly of the engine, etc. First time ever for me too to see a brand-new car
Without any protection under engine, etc.! I am in the NE so a hard winter is just around the corner - any ideas where I can get
a belly? The local Mopar/Fiat quoted $220 or so..it's plastic. One manager told me that the 2015 500L (he says they're being discontinued),
comes Without a splash shield/belly cover…Shall I look into 2014/2013 500L to get one? Any any other/after-market direct fit?
thanks!

X19
11-20-2015, 04:39 PM
I'm confused - does my 2014 have one, and they didn't put one on the 2015?

DeSoulo
11-20-2015, 07:51 PM
That does not sound correct to me as in someone left it off. Perhaps someone else can verify if what the dealer says is true (Fiat Cares). My 2014 has one.

gramada
11-21-2015, 06:09 AM
believe it or not - the 2015 500L officially does Not come with one! verified with both dealership as well as senior management at bay ridge/mopar service in brooklyn. i will though reach out to fiat cares (any link?)

must shed $219 (excl. hardware/bolts and Labor!)
it is beyond me - car is top-end extras saturated..but no belly!

as a secondary thought - oil was changed but now i am getting 25.2mpg combined as opposed to 26mpg after the first 1370 miles?
they did penzoil euro platinum and the mopar filter.
am i am imagining or car is just not as quickly responsive too…
any thoughts?

X19
11-21-2015, 01:49 PM
I wonder if the 2014's doesn't clear the new automatic transaxle, and they just decided to leave off the belly pay instead of engineering a new one.

DeSoulo
11-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Gramada would you post a photo from the same angle as I posted? (driver front wheel towards passenger wheel)

gramada
11-22-2015, 01:10 AM
sure, will do! tomorrow.
thinking of getting a (2014) belly pan from fiatonlineparts.com..any experience with them?

gramada
11-22-2015, 03:11 PM

here we go with the pics..; seems naked, and (un)afraid! a fully exposed underbelly!
what's the logic for a car sold in the US Northeast (and the upcoming piles of winters's snow roads/salt/etc), beats me...
-
valid point if the new auto transmission has to do with that complete reveal. but fiat to cheapen out $220 for a fully loaded car..
seems improbable but it is fact as you can see.
1700 miles today. 25.4mpg; drives beautiful; still a touch sluggish though. will report on the oil level later.

can you please take a pic of a 2014's entire underbelly for comparison? how can i reach "fiat cares".
fiat service has been good in person and on the phone so far...

thanks indeed!

DeSoulo
11-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Wow, that's hard to believe but the photos don't lie. Nice pic of your Elle with the fall colors. FiatCares is Erica. Look at the third post on this link unless it redirects you.
I'll post some photos soon as I can. I'll have to go by my dealer to take a look down under. You being back east I can see how that may be an issue.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/member.php?1368-FiatCares)

DeSoulo
11-22-2015, 04:37 PM
Here is my underbelly and it looks to be three main pieces; one under the engine/trans and two longer covers on left and right side towards the rear.

gramada
11-22-2015, 04:56 PM
huge thanks! yes, she is a beauty..a constant head-turner in the sea of same-ness...
-
will immediately send a note - with the pics - to erica.

gramada
11-22-2015, 05:43 PM
i think i succeeded in sending a message to erica/fiat cares. failed few times as apparently the font was not right…
Am really worried! how this could be possible with a fully exposed car underneath?
thanks for sharing those DeSoulo!

gramada
11-23-2015, 09:16 PM
very prompt response by Fiat Cares on this forum - looking into the matter; am grateful for that!

i called, in meantime, few places around and they ALL stated that their fiats have full underbody protection/shields..
is my the sole, "lucky" factory slip up?
there is No way i am driving my fiat in winter in this "fully naked" state. even in good weather, stones, debris, etc. can
bounce back and hit car underneath so it all is very worrisome.

Purgatory
11-24-2015, 01:16 AM
Interesting, but a bit puzzling. We just bought a 2015 500L a few months ago. I know for a fact, it came with (and still has) the plastic shield below the engine. Not sure why you doesn't/didn't.

gramada
11-25-2015, 02:12 PM
I am at loss of explanation myself. Thankfully I took the car for its first oil change much earlier than the book said (at 1370 miles..) so its belly shined fully
exposed... Fortunately weather is cooperating as it's unseasonably warm in my neck of the woods.

However, I do want to point that Fiat Cares on this forum reacted immediately: I've scheduled an appointment with my local studio and it will be coordinated with
Detroit to work this out. Quite impressed by their customer care/professionalism - gives me further confidence in Fiat (missing underbelly notwithstanding, a very happy two-Fiat owner).

FiatCares
11-25-2015, 02:44 PM
FCA will get this all squared away! :) We appreciate your patience in the meantime. Don't hesitate to reach out if any additional questions arise!

CoachRick
11-26-2015, 01:43 AM
Remind me to look under our L in the morning ! ;)

gramada
12-02-2015, 10:31 PM
Kudos to Fiat Cares ;) on this forum!

Buying a new car is a veritable gamble in the customer care/service dept;
A Winning choice in this case: I must attest that my interactions with FCA ;) on this forum and in the dealership where I bought
my L. have been exemplary.
Very rare to have people - like Erica - who follow thru and show genuine care.
in brief: visited service, parts ordered, issue will be corrected - just in time before snow, salt. etc.;
--
driving update as car did 450 miles in the two days' of constant rain/fog, (both upstate NY and in NYC): Excellent traction; solid run.

gramada
12-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Huge thanks!! to Fiat Cares and Erica - my issue was resolved 100%! Impeccable service, care and done in No time.
(will post pics later on…); car is at 2912 miles and drives Beautifully! The turbo kicks in, ride is smooth, economy steady, etc.. all-in-all: Great!:peaceful:

FiatCares
12-16-2015, 02:18 PM
Huge thanks!! to Fiat Cares and Erica - my issue was resolved 100%! Impeccable service, care and done in No time.
(will post pics later on…); car is at 2912 miles and drives Beautifully! The turbo kicks in, ride is smooth, economy steady, etc.. all-in-all: Great!:peaceful:

I'm so glad everything worked out! Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future with any additional questions or concerns you may have. Enjoy your FIAT! :)

Shell
12-29-2015, 01:45 AM
I just picked up my new 500L today. I'm from the NW suburbs of Chicago and the closest studio that had the car I wanted (manual, sunroof, treeking package 5) was located 450 miles away! I will be posting several other questions soon, but before I drove off I checked for a splash shield and there was none on this 2015 model I purchased. I took a quick look at another one the dealer had on the lot and it did not have one either. I sure could have used it with the rain/slush/sleet I encountered on the drive back home. How do I go about getting one?

Tweak
12-30-2015, 10:38 PM
I just picked up my new 500L today. I'm from the NW suburbs of Chicago and the closest studio that had the car I wanted (manual, sunroof, treeking package 5) was located 450 miles away! I will be posting several other questions soon, but before I drove off I checked for a splash shield and there was none on this 2015 model I purchased. I took a quick look at another one the dealer had on the lot and it did not have one either. I sure could have used it with the rain/slush/sleet I encountered on the drive back home. How do I go about getting one?

Welcome to the forum!

Sean69
04-03-2016, 09:35 AM
I bought my brand new 2015 500L Trekking with manual transmission on March 12th. After reading this thread I decided to take a peek and to my horror there were all of my cars beautiful new shiny engine components hovering inches from the ground completely exposed to everything. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that a car with a $29,000 window sticker would leave the factory like this. I'm a little disappointed to put it lightly. I was fully expecting to see the shield when I looked. Does anyone know if omitting the shield was a conscious decision on Fiat's part? If it was I don't think it was a wise one. I've never seen a modern car without a shield under the engine. Any thoughts would be appreciated as me and my new car are now living in fear of puddles.

RCFiat
05-28-2016, 08:34 PM
I have been looking into the suggested methods of getting to the oil filter on the L, having purchased a 'new' service loaner last week. I decided that I want to change the oil now, even though it's been driven just 2800 miles. I've seen the suggestions of removing the turbo inlet pipe, but really could not believe the dealer does that. I phoned the dealer, and was told they access the filter from below. So, I checked a few posts elsewhere, and determined what hardware would need to be removed in order to take down the splash shield / belly pan. I figured I was set to tackle it in this manner. Then I read these posts tonight. I just went out and checked, and sure enough, no splash shield on my 2015 Urbana. It does seem like they were eliminated on the 2015s. This may not be the end of the world. Yes, my 2015 500 Sport has one, but my 2012 Suzuki SX4 (aka Fiat Sedici) does not. I drove it home 300 miles in high speed heavy rain for much of the trip with no ill effects. Still, I plan to confirm that these were never intended to be installed on the 2015 and 2016 models. One good thing I guess - oil changes will be faster.

fieryphoenix
09-10-2016, 12:20 AM
Hi all. 2015 500L Trekking here... Stopped by my studio today and they put it on the lift and showed me...for 2015 there is just a small one under the right side to protect the belts and pulleys. They did do away with the full shields. Maybe for better cooling? You are right about the faster oil changes though!

NICOLA
01-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Good Morning I am new does anyone know the actual spare part number ???? I have a 2014 500L trekking and the splash shield belly cover Tks

WileyCoyote
01-20-2017, 03:38 PM
Best advice I can give you is to search here.

http://www.fiatpartswebstore.com/

NICOLA
01-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Many thanks parts ordered

NICOLA
02-26-2017, 06:08 AM
I have been looking into the suggested methods of getting to the oil filter on the L, having purchased a 'new' service loaner last week. I decided that I want to change the oil now, even though it's been driven just 2800 miles. I've seen the suggestions of removing the turbo inlet pipe, but really could not believe the dealer does that. I phoned the dealer, and was told they access the filter from below. So, I checked a few posts elsewhere, and determined what hardware would need to be removed in order to take down the splash shield / belly pan. I figured I was set to tackle it in this manner. Then I read these posts tonight. I just went out and checked, and sure enough, no splash shield on my 2015 Urbana. It does seem like they were eliminated on the 2015s. This may not be the end of the world. Yes, my 2015 500 Sport has one, but my 2012 Suzuki SX4 (aka Fiat Sedici) does not. I drove it home 300 miles in high speed heavy rain for much of the trip with no ill effects. Still, I plan to confirm that these were never intended to be installed on the 2015 and 2016 models. One good thing I guess - oil changes will be faster.

Here the instructions how to replace the oil filter :https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2014_Fiat_500L_1.4L_4_Cyl._Turbo/oil/change_oil_and_oil_filter

Fiat500USA
02-26-2017, 09:38 AM
Just make sure you use the proper 5W40 engine oil. That site seemed to have a lot of generic info, including the oil filter which didn't show that 500Ls set up.

WileyCoyote
02-26-2017, 03:00 PM
CarCareKiosk is a great jumping off point however, many of the specifics just aren't there. My advice for oil filter is to get two worm (screw) hose clamps and take off the intake tube in between the air filter and Turbo that allows practically perfect access. The nut size on the filter housing is 28 mm I believe. Then with a 12-14" extension and a socket wrench and it's off. As for the oil drain, its a metric bolt that's fairly common (not a 10) and it'll come off easily. USE a funnel for draining otherwise, you'll get oil on the cross bar that's there. For new oil, Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Euro Blend 5W-40 is available in amazon at an OK price for 6 quarts and the Mopar filter is also available. Happy changing.

bingmobo
06-23-2019, 03:31 PM
Good day all,
Got a 2015 Pop with nearly 100k miles and unless someone stole it during an oil change, mine never had the underbelly engine guard either.
Not to belittle anyone's concerns, but cars in general have gone hundreds of thousands of miles just fine before it was a practice to put a shield down there. Mine made cross country without incident.
That said, I agree mine looks naked without it got the side shields, but no engine shield - odd.
Checked that wonderful part lookup site someone posted but alas, that exact part is discontinued. Mopar parts appears to have is for $180 or so.
Thanks for the posts! :-)