PDA

View Full Version : Full Size Spare Tire?

davevoss
11-19-2015, 12:52 PM
The Fiat 500X does not come with a spare tire. I'm actually okay with this, if for no other reason than because the tire pressure monitoring system only looks at the four that spin, unlike some others that also monitor the spare, which can be a problem trying to keep the system happy (and therefore silent). Anyway... I'm not comfortable running with just the tire tread repair kit (what if the sidewall is damaged, or the wheel itself has a problem?) and while I'm familiar with the compact spare tire accessory that is available, I would much rather have a full size spare tire so that in the event of a flat, I can swap and keep going without having to deal with repairing or replacing the tire right away. This is important to me since I drive long distances, often after hours, where '50 miles at 50 miles per hour' (or whatever the suggested limit is) wouldn't get me where I need to go.

In looking at the rear cargo area, there is a large pre-formed insert that holds the flat repair kit, which appears to be the area where the compact spare tire would fit instead. Above that is the 'hidden' storage area between the lower cover and the 'floor' that is flush with the hatch opening. I'm thinking that the combined height of those two areas is sufficient for a full size spare tire. If it can fit, my thought would be to purchase either a 5th factory alloy wheel, or a factory steel wheel as used on the 'Pop' model (which is a little narrower) if the height dimension of the alloy wheel (as stowed) is too tall. I would still need a jack and lug wrench, but those items are typically fairly generic, and so I could source those locally, selecting something that fit in the corners around the full size spare.

So, has anyone else considered doing this?

Megalomaniacal
11-19-2015, 12:58 PM
mount a full size spare on the roof! make it look cool

Purgatory
11-19-2015, 11:58 PM
they don't offer a full size spare option like that do on the 500L? Didn't know that. Made sure my wife's 2015L had one, as I have little faith in the repair kit. As you said, if you get nailed in the sidewall, or if hole in tread to big, kit is useless, and not all that easy to use. For my Abarth, I bought a brand new looking OEM 17" white rim, like the ones on my car, and a new P-Zero tire. I do have AAA, but unless you got a good spare, not much than can do for you, and not the easiest tire size to find at some out of the way rip off Interstate gas station. I carry the full spare in my car (rear seat delete kit) if I am going more than 50 miles from home just to be on the safe side

Rags747
11-20-2015, 08:22 AM
I guess I can understand for some but for me it is not something that I give any consideration to at all. Can't remember the last time I had a flat and most people today would be totally helpless if they did.

Robert Nixon
11-20-2015, 08:26 AM
There have been some discussions of the no-spare-tire on this forum, and as noted above there are two camps:

1-if you need a spare, sure, just buy a full size wheel and throw it in somewhere, include the jack and lug wrench
2-odds of a sidewall issue are very small, plus most people have FIAT roadside assistance/AAA or other ways of repairing a flat.

Either way works, do the one that lets you sleep at night!

davevoss
11-20-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the replies so far, I'm getting the sense that no one else has actually tried to integrate a full size spare in a Fiat 500X yet, apart from maybe just placing one in the cargo area or back seat, which makes me nervous, as that would become a (rather heavy) projectile inside the cabin in the event of an accident. I'm going to test fit a factory alloy wheel with tire (as removed from my car) in the well below the cargo shelf and report back how it fits there. It may be next week before I get a chance to do this.

davevoss
11-20-2015, 12:12 PM
odds of a sidewall issue are very small, plus most people have FIAT roadside assistance/AAA or other ways of repairing a flat.

While this is true, when it happens, your schedule for the day goes sideways. Earlier this year, I was driving a rental car, and I along with several other cars, ran over metal debris on the freeway, which blew the front left tire. No problem I thought, I'll just put the spare on and be on my way. Except my rental car had no spare tire, as that make/model doesn't come with one. There was a tire repair kit in the car, but the sharp debris cut the edge of the tread and part of the sidewall. So I called the rental car company, but they don't stock any extra wheels with tires, so I had to wait for a tow truck. When it arrived, their only option to help was to tow it to the rental car maintenance yard and drop me at a nearby rental car office to start over again with another car. About 4 hours later, I was traveling back through the same area where the flat occurred, finally on my way again. If this has been my personal car, I could have been towed to a tire shop for repair, but I suspect I still would have lost the same amount of time. If there had been a spare tire in the car, I would have only been delayed about 15 minutes. I missed an important meeting that day, and there was nothing I could about it once the flat occurred.

It seems odd to me that with all of the mandated safety equipment required for cars driven on the roads of this country, having a spare tire doesn't make the list.

Maricopaman
11-20-2015, 02:15 PM
I went for over 7 months without a spare and it bugged the life out of me. Of my last 3 cars I had a flat tire on each of them and twice it was a sidewall puncture. Three times in 10 years isn't bad, but pulling the trigger on the waiting game isn't worth it to me. I considered a full size spare replacement on my 500 as I never use the rear seats, I even considered the "projectile" problem, I think a nylon strap would help with that. Even if the spare doesn't completely fit in the allowed space, maybe a nice tire cover ala 4X4 would work.

Rags747
11-20-2015, 03:23 PM
A lot of it is due to all the manufacturers trying to cut weight and improve fuel economy, has to save 40lbs I would think. Roof mount sounds best to me and would probably look pretty cool with the right setup.

500X_JML
11-21-2015, 09:38 AM
If you purchase a factory alloy wheel to use as a spare, you'll also need to buy the hardware to bolt it down in the trunk. In addition, you'll also need to buy a jack that will accommodate the pinch weld at the lift points. You will need to remove the existing cargo cover and tray, and then verify the tire height will still allow you to use the shelf in the upper position. Good luck.

Respo Cornuto
12-04-2015, 01:23 AM
Made my own spare tire carrier.

Tweak
12-04-2015, 10:27 PM
And anti crash assistant. :D

Welcome to the forum.

grosa_2002
03-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Page 145 of the owners manual.

NOTE: With a full size spare, the floor will be at the
elevated position.

Buy a steel rim with your tire diameter 16-17 or 18" and pattern 5x110 mm
Remove the foam insert, mount the spare and purchase a $30 scissors jack. Good to go.

Abarthboy
03-27-2016, 06:40 AM
Page 145 of the owners manual.

NOTE: With a full size spare, the floor will be at the
elevated position.

Buy a steel rim with your tire diameter 16-17 or 18" and pattern 5x110 mm
Remove the foam insert, mount the spare and purchase a $30 scissors jack. Good to go.

It should be noted that if you have the upgraded sound system with a subwoofer a full size spare may not fit. The subwoofer is actually a big circular hump that the spare fits over. I purchased the Mopar spare tire kit and with it in place the upper cargo floor just clears it. As for needing a spare, I flatted my Abarth in a pothole and the gash was way too big for flat fix. I then waited on hold for half an hour for Chrysler service and never got connected. In disgust I drove home very slowly on the flat tire as I was only a few miles from home and managed not to damage the wheel. This was one of the things that convinced me to replace the Abarth with something that could easily carry a spare.

grosa_2002
03-30-2016, 04:39 PM
Abarthboy, can you elaborate a little please? My front door panel speakers have the Beats symbol on them, but I don't think my Lounge has a sub in the trunk. Do you have a pic, should I remove the contents of the trunk to find it, is it possible to have Beats and no sub? I already have the tools and jack from the Abarth I traded in, my intention is to buy a steel 18x7 with 5x110 lug pattern rim available on ebay for around 85 USD and mount a tire on it, secure with the right hardware from salvage yard or hardware store. The wife also has an X so spending 6 bills for spares from Mopar seems a bit excessive. Appreciate any advice.

Xtreme500
03-30-2016, 05:04 PM
You have 2 500X's! Dang that cool congrats and welcome to the forum.

Abarthboy
03-30-2016, 10:03 PM
I'll try to take a photo over the weekend, but I'm pretty sure that if you have the Beats audio system, you have the subwoofer. Pull out the cargo lid and styrofoam insert and look below. You should see a big circular plastic housing in the spare tire well.

grosa_2002
04-09-2016, 08:40 PM
I'll try to take a photo over the weekend, but I'm pretty sure that if you have the Beats audio system, you have the subwoofer. Pull out the cargo lid and styrofoam insert and look below. You should see a big circular plastic housing in the spare tire well.

Did this today, got the Beats sub under the thin panel with "500" on it. So will a compact spare work or it's "no spare" with the Beats?

Abarthboy
04-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Did this today, got the Beats sub under the thin panel with "500" on it. So will a compact spare work or it's "no spare" with the Beats?

Sorry that I didn't get to the photo. Yes, a compact spare will work. It will just make it under the cargo floor.

grosa_2002
04-09-2016, 10:27 PM
Thanks, no pic needed for me. The 500L had a similar setup. Also discovered the tow eye p/n 06510637AA is missing, $32.08 + shipping on the Mopar site. Looks like I need to ask the dealer to order one for me along with the owners manual that was also missing. I know it's available digitally online but I like to hold things. Here are the twins, well not exactly. Both vehicles are Lounges however the white one has sunroof and Treking Plus 18" wheels.
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21654&stc=1

5port
04-09-2016, 11:01 PM
I just installed the Mopar spare kit today. Also bought a 21" sliding bar with 17mm socket as the tool in the kit looks flimsy. @grosa_2002 that's a great pic. Do you notice any difference in ride quality between the 17" and 18" wheels?

grosa_2002
04-09-2016, 11:12 PM
I just installed the Mopar spare kit today. Also bought a 21" sliding bar with 17mm socket as the tool in the kit looks flimsy. @grosa_2002 that's a great pic. Do you notice any difference in ride quality between the 17" and 18" wheels?

Hey Sport, Can you give any details about the spare kit? Is it the full size or compact, 16 or 17 or 18" X 4", P/N or how much? Around 3 bills right? Do you have Beats audio subwoofer? There is a slight difference from the stock 16" Lounge wheels, it rides a little higher as you can see in the pic. I have thoughts to install the Madness lowering springs. A friend already did and it looks very nice without the big gap in the wheel wells. I tried a high speed corner since I previously drove a lowered Abarth and I had to get out of the throttle mid turn as the right rear seamed to be trying to lift and lose traction. It was the dealer that offered the tire option since it was the fifth car from I purchased from them in the last two years. I like the Continentals on the 18" tires better than the Nexen's on the black vehicle.

5port
04-09-2016, 11:55 PM
Hey Sport, Can you give any details about the spare kit? Is it the full size or compact, 16 or 17 or 18" X 4", P/N or how much? Around 3 bills right? Do you have Beats audio subwoofer? There is a slight difference from the stock 16" Lounge wheels, it rides a little higher as you can see in the pic. I have thoughts to install the Madness lowering springs. A friend already did and it looks very nice without the big gap in the wheel wells. I tried a high speed corner since I previously drove a lowered Abarth and I had to get out of the throttle mid turn as the right rear seamed to be trying to lift and lose traction. It was the dealer that offered the tire option since it was the fifth car from I purchased from them in the last two years. I like the Continentals on the 18" tires better than the Nexen's on the black vehicle.

Thanks for the feedback. I've got an Easy with the 17" wheels and was curious. For the spare tire kit I paid $301 and free shipping from here:

http://www.justforjeeps.com/82214679ab.html

My rear wheel well looks just like the picture in the ad.

Part# 82214679AB

I have no Beats audio just the mid-level 6 speaker system with 5.0 Uconnect inch screen. Happy with it once I adjusted the EQ. The wheel in the spare kit (tire is 145/90R16) is a 16" narrow Continental that seems to be near the same height as the stock 17" wheel and tire. Mounted on a 16" steel rim and comes with the tool kit and bag. The jack handle serves as the wheel wrench but is made light. Everything says made in Italy and the paperwork also has Lancia markings.

The jack has a slit in the support that fits the pinch-weld in the 500X chassis. Once the tire/wheel is mounted in the well the cover can only be used at the top notch. The tire is too tall to lower it so that function is lost. I can find no official way to secure the tool bag so I mounted it under the rear floor and pinched it between rear cover and backseat. Works great. So the tire /wheel still looks like a donut not full size...just full height.

SingerEsq
12-30-2017, 06:20 PM
So, today I learned the hard way about there being no spare tire for the 500X (2016). And, as one person wrote, it basically wasted my entire day. I tried using the compressor / tire service kit to no avail. Damage was to side-wall. I drive a lot of miles each day, and have changed a flat tire many times. It's usually faster than waiting for AAA. I also would rather have (at a minimum) a compact spare tire on board, rather than relying upon the tire service kit. Has anyone found an acceptable after-market compact spare tire kit (with jack)? It appears that a compact spare would fit where the foam insert in the cargo hold. Thanks.

Fabfreak
12-30-2017, 06:59 PM
I used a Dodge Dart compact spare, i'm not gonna get stranded.

Anson500x
12-31-2017, 02:51 AM
What is a "21" sliding bar"??? :P

Anson500x
12-31-2017, 02:51 AM
Wow, the Dart and 500x have the same 5-lug patterns?

I used a Dodge Dart compact spare, i'm not gonna get stranded.

johnkatos
12-31-2017, 11:11 AM

It is similar to a breaker bar but the socket holder slides along the bar. Therefore you can use it as a simple breaker bar or as a two handed T wrench. If I didn't explain it well enough search Amazon in autos for "sliding T-bar"

5port
12-31-2017, 11:51 AM

Its a collapsible wrench that gives more leverage than the wrench in the spare tire kit. The Mopar wrench looks like it may snap on the second use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABN-Lug-Nut-Wheel-Wrench-Telescoping-Drive-Socket-Sizes-17mm-amp-19mm/263341629556?epid=1962087699&hash=item3d50626074:g:-XgAAOSw0y1aF34s

Fabfreak
01-09-2018, 08:32 PM
yes, and finding a Dart spare is easier and less $$$. I added 2x4's on either side so the floor would be level also.
Wow, the Dart and 500x have the same 5-lug patterns?

Fabfreak
01-09-2018, 08:33 PM
see my post above with pic.
1- Dart compact spare
1- ebay scissor jack
2 - 2x4's so floor is level

So, today I learned the hard way about there being no spare tire for the 500X (2016). And, as one person wrote, it basically wasted my entire day. I tried using the compressor / tire service kit to no avail. Damage was to side-wall. I drive a lot of miles each day, and have changed a flat tire many times. It's usually faster than waiting for AAA. I also would rather have (at a minimum) a compact spare tire on board, rather than relying upon the tire service kit. Has anyone found an acceptable after-market compact spare tire kit (with jack)? It appears that a compact spare would fit where the foam insert in the cargo hold. Thanks.

PLP
01-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Anyone fitted spare wheel with Beats Audio?

carfreak09
01-10-2018, 10:28 PM
Anyone fitted spare wheel with Beats Audio?

The stock spare is designed to fit around the Beats subwoofer. Not sure whether the Dart's spare will do this.

PLP
01-11-2018, 11:15 AM
The stock spare is designed to fit around the Beats subwoofer. Not sure whether the Dart's spare will do this.

Really? I was not aware of it. That would be great. I must ask my dealer.

Anson500x
01-16-2018, 01:31 AM
The Mopar spare tire kit for our X is expensive!!! Nearly $300, or am I looking at the wrong part or wrong place? lol

carfreak09
01-16-2018, 07:37 PM
The Mopar spare tire kit for our X is expensive!!! Nearly $300, or am I looking at the wrong part or wrong place? lol

Thats about right. I think I paid around the same amount for it. When you think about it, it's not that bad as you get a wheel, tire, jack and lug nut wrench, none of which comes with the car. It's high but not insanely priced.

5port
01-16-2018, 07:46 PM
Thats about right. I think I paid around the same amount for it. When you think about it, it's not that bad as you get a wheel, tire, jack and lug nut wrench, none of which comes with the car. It's high but not insanely priced.

And a Philips to remove the fusebox cover :)