PDA

View Full Version : 500L Lemon Law - DDCT Transmission

Mike Morris
11-12-2015, 12:42 PM
I am sad to report that I felt compelled to file a Lemon Law complaint on my 2014 Fiat 500L. The car is back in the shop for at least the 8th time with a total pushing 100 days of the car in service. On the 6th repair attempt, the transmission was replaced. Since the installation, the car has been back in the shop twice. It has been 5 weeks since attorney sent the letter and no response as of yet from Fiat. I had a preliminary offer to replace the car MSRP for MSRP (after a single phone call to Fiat) but since I had already signed a retainer with a Lemon Law attorney I was unable to accept it. I am so disappointed as I really loved the car but the reliability has been so bad. I was very excited about the brand and car, but it is time to move on.

Tweak
11-14-2015, 12:35 AM
Welcome and good luck Mike.

bryanintowson
11-14-2015, 09:32 AM
Welcome. You may want to consider a new L with a traditional automatic gearbox.

smark
11-14-2015, 11:00 AM
Sorry about your issue. Lots of other vehicle options out there. Don't think the 500L model going to be around much longer.

Laz
11-14-2015, 03:32 PM
I just started having problems with the transmission. My 500L has only 14k miles and what is doing is that is shifting all over the place. If I am in 5th gear and I accelerate the gear shifts back to 3rd gear and then to 4th gear then to 5th gear. You can hear that once the car goes back to 3rd gear that it goes to a higher revolution of course. I called Fiat and they are going to check on my car to see what it is. What did yours started doing when you took it to the studio? I hope is nothing major. it sounds to me that there is something going on with the computer that does the clutching.

X19
11-14-2015, 06:06 PM
You know, I don't think the 500L model going to be around much longer either; and even though ours has given us very little trouble in 21,000 miles/23 months, I'd like to recover at least a little resale value from it. However bad it is now (est. mid $13s on a trade) , it'll only get worse if the 500L winds up an orphan model...

Fiat500USA
11-14-2015, 09:06 PM
There are a lot of people that love their 500L (best selling car in its segment in Europe, etc.), but being a car aimed at families and not enthusiasts means you don't hear much on the forum other than folks with issues. That skews peoples perspectives and sooner or later you get owners that don't have problems thinking less of their own car. I just hope people come here for help and not just to dampen other people's enthusiasm.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_p6mHmfFIhU/VDgSVFBftdI/AAAAAAAAWxc/MM-wRigq8cQ/s640-Ic42/Fiat_500_market_share-2014-fiat500usa_com.jpg

Felnus
11-14-2015, 11:20 PM
I find it interesting that both my sisters purchased 500Ls with the DDCT and neither one has had a single issue to date. Well, my older sister took out a deer with hers about three weeks after she bought it but that was no fault of the 500L.

500ways
11-15-2015, 12:18 AM
My wife drives an L with the DDCT, you know, the same tranny that equips the Alfa 4C. No issues at all.

islander
11-15-2015, 01:52 PM
There are a lot of people that love their 500L (best selling car in its segment in Europe, etc.), but being a car aimed at families and not enthusiasts means you don't hear much on the forum other than folks with issues. That skews peoples perspectives and sooner or later you get owners that don't have problems thinking less of their own car. I just hope people come here for help and not just to dampen other people's enthusiasm.

I agree. I've been reading these forum posts for about as long as I've owned my 500L (bought end Aug '13) and occasionally in the past I found myself buying into some of the generally negative sentiment expressed by some posters—including by some who don't even own a 500L. However my own experience so far has not been at all negative. I really enjoy this car (with the DDCT, that is) for the sheer pleasure of driving it, for its practicality wrt cargo space and flexibility, economy, visibility (including right above my head through the panoramic sunroof), safety features and more. So I don't regret buying it all. If it loses (has lost) more resale value than I might have liked, so be it. My alternative choice for a new car 2+ years ago was to have been another VW diesel. Where would I be now wrt resale value with that, I wonder?

Ez2517
11-16-2015, 01:40 PM
I wonder how well-tested the engine/transmission combination really is. In Europe they sell the 500L with engines between 80 and 120 HP. The 160 HP engine seems to be available only in the US. The 500L ranked worst recently in a US reliability survey, while it is not that bad in Europe. I had no issues whatsoever with mine, and also read very few about issues in European 500L forums. So my guess would be that there is something wrong with the engine/(automatic)transmission combo sold in the US.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/11/06/consumer-reports-reliablity-20--worst/75275986/

500ways
11-16-2015, 02:56 PM
XThe DDCT is new to the American market and traditional automatic transmission drivers with the torque converter may not understand the concept. I am sure some folks have had a real issue with it. I don't want to dismiss anything that is legitimate. However, one of the postings of the transmission downshifting during acceleration and the shifting back up sounds correct. Maybe the fact that the display shows the up and down is confusing people. Think about it, in your everyday traditional auto car, there is no display as to which gear you are in. So even when a traditional auto downshifts or upshifts, the driver may not even be aware that that's how it operates. If you understand that a DDCT is an "automated manual" and you know how to operate a manual, the transition may be easier. I think Fiat should have equipped them with a traditional auto to begin with for the US market. However, from a selfish perspective, I am happy my wife's has the DDCT because it is fun and a novelty. I think the DDCT is solid. They wouldn't put it in the 4C if it wasn't solid. It may just have been the wrong decision for this market for the L.

X19
11-16-2015, 04:20 PM
I agree - I'm used to single and dual clutch automated shifters, so the 500L's wasn't really a transition for me.
To the uninitiated it may feel and operate rather oddly. (I remember my first single clutch auto - yikes!)
And, truth be told, my 500L's can vary from smooth as silk (85+%) to downright clunky and inscructible.

Megalomaniacal
11-17-2015, 11:50 AM
maybe your bad transmission was made on a friday afternoon and the other guy's problem-free transmission was made on a tuesday lol

Laz
11-18-2015, 12:26 AM
I accept my mistake in saying that my 500L had transmission issues. I went to the studio and they told me that my 500L was perfectly fine. I guess that I had never noticed that it shifts down when I accelerated. I rode with the mechanic and I told him the issue and he said that normal to shift down while accelerating. One thing he did confess to me, was that the 500L most common problem was the transmissions. Not exactly the mechanical parts but certain components. I tried to get more information out of him but then he realized he was talking too much and he stopped talking. He also stated to me is that we are supposed too put it in neutral if you are in heavy traffic. Unfortunately in Houston where I live every light takes forever. He also said that in the USA we don't like dual clutch transmission. It doesn't matter which brand it is, there is always complaints about them.

Lemon Law
09-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Mike what happened? I too am filing for lemon law. So please share.

Southernroadrunner
09-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Mike what happened? I too am filing for lemon law. So please share.

So where did I miss why the lemon law filing.