PDA

View Full Version : USB port to charge? Any backup camera stuttering updates? Bluetooth flaky?

GuyOnTheAir
11-10-2015, 01:03 AM
Hello,

I'm probably taking in my 500L Trekking this week for an oil change and to review some issues. Any thoughts, tips, or tricks?

-Is the USB port supposed to charge a device like a USB port should? Mine doesn't charge anything I have. I also don't see it trying to play music by USB. Is it bad?

-My backup camera still stutters after an update and drives me crazy. Anyone successfully gotten them to fix that?

-A fan for the AC on the passenger side under the dash has an obnoxious metallic sound. Seems almost worn out.

-The radio seems to need regular resetting with the two-finger 10-second salute to keep Bluetooth to my phone working. Even when working, it just stops being connected, or a call in progress will transfer back to my phone, even though the radio thinks it's still connected. It didn't seem to used to do this, and my phone reliably connects via Bluetooth to other devices, so something about the car and phone apparently don't play nice.

Thanks.

X19
11-10-2015, 03:49 PM
I haven't done the radio update yet, but I hope it fixes the camera stuttering and sudden SXM dropouts.
Sounds to me (ha! sounds - get it?) like your USB is bad. Mine charges phones and the like easily, although I don't think it has the oomph to charge an iPad or similar.
As soon as you plug a compatible device into the USB the radio should shift to it right away, whether you want it to or not. I'd actually prefer to have to select "Media" instead of it being automatic.
My HVAC fan squeals when it is really cold out, otherwise reasonably quiet. It's got two more years and two more months to fail on warranty...

GuyOnTheAir
11-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Thanks for your response! Yes, I believe mine is bad, as I've now noticed that the SD card reader also won't work. So taking it, tomorrow.

It's not really cold here in SoCal, but I do notice it more at night. I've recorded it to play for the "studio."

Thanks.

FiatCares
11-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Hi GuyOnTheAir,

Please keep us posted on what the studio says and let me know if there's anything I can do to be of assistance!

GuyOnTheAir
12-04-2015, 02:59 AM
It seems that getting service for this car is a lesson in patience, or just very frustrating.

I took my car in. The service center in Van Nuys, CA had it for 8 days! During this time, they NEVER contacted me ONCE. I had to call every few days to determine the status, and each time wait on hold for lengthy amounts of time to find the person that knew anything about my vehicle. They did give me an Enterprise Rent-A-Car, but in 8 days they claim to have done this, but I see no evidence:

-Fixed the problem with my USB/SD card slot. They claim that aftermarket wiring in the fuse box had shorted out the USB, and that removing the wiring had resolved the issue. What's strange about this, is that I had SPECIFICALLY removed this wiring prior to taking my car in, so that it would not be blamed for anything. They swear up and down that it was still connected, although this is simply a fabrication on their part. However, the USB now works, of sorts.

I have an older iPod Mini, and plug it in with the appropriate cable. The iPod Mini's screen changes to "do not unplug", suggesting it's talking to the system, however, nothing happens on-screen, and no music can be played, nor does an iPod button appear onscreen as described in the manual. I can, however, play music from the iPod via the AUX input, and an audio cable. Something is still not right. Does anyone have an old iPod Mini that they use in their car properly?

-They claim to have updated the radio firmware. However, it was still on the exact same software version as when I took the car in, so this again, is not truth. I've download the update and installed it myself. It does seem to make the XM dropouts slightly better, although friends in my car note that they've never had the dropouts I've had in their cars with XM. Also, the stutter in the backup camera seems a little bit better after the update, a big improvement.

-The fan under the dash? They claim they could not hear a problem. Even though I'd played them a recording of it. At this point, it's gotten so bad, that I'll have to take it back in and drive around with them until they can admit they hear it. It's enough to make a grown man cry.

-Bluetooth seems about average, but it seems that the car does not connect to my phone by itself, without me pressing to connect anymore, after I did my own software update of the radio.

-The service center claims to have replaced the backup camera to help the stuttering. I cannot confirm or deny this, as it was stuttering when I got the car back, and only improved when I updated the radio's software.

-They claim they tried to replace the radio, but that the new one didn't work. The radio that was in my car when I got it back is my original radio, as my presets, XM ID and such are the same. So, it's now allegedly on order. However, that was two weeks ago, and still no word from them. (Shocking...)

-They scratched up the dash significantly during whatever they were doing. The surface is now marred and completely unacceptable.

So, to recap, in 8 days, they may or may not have replaced the backup camera, and may or may not have tried a new radio, screwed up my dash, didn't update anything, couldn't hear the obviously bad fan or whatever it is under the passenger dash, and never contacted me at any point along the way. But they did make the USB and SD card ports (sort of) work.

I'm not even sure where to go from here. I can't tolerate the noise under the dash, I'm pissed about the marred dash, the radio is still crap, and my car has been with them over 11 days since purchase. The "studio" doesn't seem to care, the staff are more concerned about their Masserati customers, and I have so little confidence anything will be fixed, that it's terribly depressing.

Megalomaniacal
12-04-2015, 10:18 AM
don't worry dude at least they didn't lie about doing a compression test on your car.

islander
12-04-2015, 01:27 PM
It seems that getting service for this car is a lesson in patience, or just very frustrating.

<…>

-They scratched up the dash significantly during whatever they were doing. The surface is now marred and completely unacceptable.

Ah, that same thing happened to me when I took my Trekking in for a radio repair more than a year ago. I was left with an unrepaired radio but with bad scratches and gashes in the white dash trim. A complaint to the studio's customer service rep netted my car a visit to their body shop and I got a (hideous) chartreuse Dodge loaner. The body shop guy was very thorough and competent and kept his staff on it till the dash was good as new—when I got the car back three days (!) later. I did wonder at the time how well-trained their mechanics are wrt radio servicing since it appeared that the mechanic had used something like a screwdriver to pry the radio out.

Oh, the radio spontaneously started working again more than 24 hours after being serviced. But I never got acceptable XM reception on it (dropouts) and no longer subscribe to XM.

GuyOnTheAir
02-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Well, I took my car in again, like a month ago, and this time they had it for about 5 days, I think.

This time they managed to fix most of the problems I'd been complaining about. They replaced the radio with a brand new one (when I asked about my satellite subscription, the service manager said that the "sample" XM channels were proof it was working. When I said that XM had hundreds of channels, not 6, they told me I'd have to call XM and pay a transfer fee... I told them, they should look into it, as I wasn't going to pay a transfer fee for a faulty radio, and it was under the "1 year free" promotion. After a couple of days, XM did start to work again. I called an left a message to thank the service manager.)

They claimed they couldn't fix the dash because the part they'd ordered was the wrong color. Really?

I'd now also noticed that the drivers seat is coming undone near the back left. First the service manager said Fiat wasn't responding to his request to replace. So I requested he submit again, which he claims to have done, after taking pictures with his phone. Now it's been about a month, and no word from them.

I called today, and nobody knows anything about any of this, and the service manager is out. They've left a message for him to call me.

The last visit, service seemed stepped up slightly, and the assistance service manager was no longer there (I let them know I thought this was a positive thing...) But, it appears they have a long ways to go.

My radio does work better. Sattellite reception appears improved, but I doubt I'll renew after my free year. I'm not a Howard fan, and the dropouts are still too frequent compared to other satellite radios I've had.

The backup camera seems to now work pretty decently. That's a huge improvement!

And, after replacing the fan, the noise is gone from under the dash, and I'm not tearing my hair out!

So, maybe in another 6 months, I'll get everything worked out!

FiatCares
02-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Well, I took my car in again, like a month ago, and this time they had it for about 5 days, I think.

This time they managed to fix most of the problems I'd been complaining about. They replaced the radio with a brand new one (when I asked about my satellite subscription, the service manager said that the "sample" XM channels were proof it was working. When I said that XM had hundreds of channels, not 6, they told me I'd have to call XM and pay a transfer fee... I told them, they should look into it, as I wasn't going to pay a transfer fee for a faulty radio, and it was under the "1 year free" promotion. After a couple of days, XM did start to work again. I called an left a message to thank the service manager.)

They claimed they couldn't fix the dash because the part they'd ordered was the wrong color. Really?

I'd now also noticed that the drivers seat is coming undone near the back left. First the service manager said Fiat wasn't responding to his request to replace. So I requested he submit again, which he claims to have done, after taking pictures with his phone. Now it's been about a month, and no word from them.

I called today, and nobody knows anything about any of this, and the service manager is out. They've left a message for him to call me.

The last visit, service seemed stepped up slightly, and the assistance service manager was no longer there (I let them know I thought this was a positive thing...) But, it appears they have a long ways to go.

My radio does work better. Sattellite reception appears improved, but I doubt I'll renew after my free year. I'm not a Howard fan, and the dropouts are still too frequent compared to other satellite radios I've had.

The backup camera seems to now work pretty decently. That's a huge improvement!

And, after replacing the fan, the noise is gone from under the dash, and I'm not tearing my hair out!

So, maybe in another 6 months, I'll get everything worked out!

If you'd like to PM me your VIN and the dealership information, I can look at our warranty systems to see if those driver seat photos were submitted to digital imaging for approval.