PDA

View Full Version : What Gas type for the X? Also, night driving.

riff42
10-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Morning all. I'm looking into the 500X to replace my Mini Countryman. What gas does the 500X take? Does it change in different models? I'm looking into a AWD version, not sure which yet. They all seem similar, with varying bits and bobs.
Also, how are the headlights? Are they halogen or HID projectors? Safe night driving is VERY important to me and my wife, due to all the woods and deer in this area.

Thanks!

datasage
10-30-2015, 01:21 PM
Morning all. I'm looking into the 500X to replace my Mini Countryman. What gas does the 500X take? Does it change in different models? I'm looking into a AWD version, not sure which yet. They all seem similar, with varying bits and bobs.
Also, how are the headlights? Are they halogen or HID projectors? Safe night driving is VERY important to me and my wife, due to all the woods and deer in this area.

Thanks!

It uses normal 87 octane for most trims. The only exception is the manual which is only available on the pop trim. The manual uses 87, but recommends premium.

The headlights use halogen bulbs. I don't do a lot of night driving and live in a city. I can't really give an opinion how well they would in rural areas where deer are a problem.

Simmonz
10-30-2015, 02:39 PM
87 is good for all the trims (abarth version will eventually suggest 91 but take 87 when it comes out). I had one for a while and they are halogen bulbs but they worked very well going down the back roads I use, Brights work rather well too. 1 thing i will say is that I use the fog lights to fill in some light on the road too.

riff42
11-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Thanks all. I was a little scared when I saw the Edmunds specs stating it was premium. I'm looking to get rid of my Mini due to the premium gas it requires, long with the engine troubles!! Great car, buuuut, it has it's issues ;)
I'll look into retro fitting the headlights, or add-ons if it doesn't light well. Thanks for the info!

500X_JML
11-02-2015, 10:03 AM
The fog lights act as cornering lights when in auto mode and the fog light switch off. The additional light when turning is significant especially in dark conditions.

datasage
11-02-2015, 11:29 AM
Thanks all. I was a little scared when I saw the Edmunds specs stating it was premium. I'm looking to get rid of my Mini due to the premium gas it requires, long with the engine troubles!! Great car, buuuut, it has it's issues ;)
I'll look into retro fitting the headlights, or add-ons if it doesn't light well. Thanks for the info!

You may run into some issues with retrofitting the bulb. Modern cars keep track of the voltage going through the bulb to determine if there are any issues with it. Different kinds of lighting systems may result in different resistances. Depending what the computer is looking for, it may consider a HID bulb as having the wrong voltage.

It probably can be done, may or may not need to involve more than just a change of bulb.

Moonfiat
11-03-2015, 01:56 AM
The 1.4T is a premium fuel engine but will take regular with a power deficit. The 2.4 is a regular fuel engine. Having studied to the last inch the Countryman vs the 500x, you should not expect an improvement in actual fuel economy but the premium to regular price difference is considerable depending on how many miles you drive.

I find ins the low beams to be some of the best ever and perhaps too good considering the high beams didn't make for that much difference. The fog lights are crazy good but they turn off when you put on the high beams. I just found this out on my latest night drive. I'm not a fan of HID lights as the illuminated distance tends to cut off harshly compared to halogen. Probably just a me thing.

Personally, I think you'll find the 500x a more upscale and liveable vehicle compared to your Countryman but still entail the quirky but chic design details I've always loved about the Countryman. I tested both the same day and was ready to put money on the countryman but the 500x won me over.

CoachRick
11-03-2015, 09:55 AM
The 1.4T is a premium fuel engine but will take regular with a power deficit. The 2.4 is a regular fuel engine. Having studied to the last inch the Countryman vs the 500x, you should not expect an improvement in actual fuel economy but the premium to regular price difference is considerable depending on how many miles you drive.

I find ins the low beams to be some of the best ever and perhaps too good considering the high beams didn't make for that much difference. The fog lights are crazy good but they turn off when you put on the high beams. I just found this out on my latest night drive. I'm not a fan of HID lights as the illuminated distance tends to cut off harshly compared to halogen. Probably just a me thing.

Personally, I think you'll find the 500x a more upscale and liveable vehicle compared to your Countryman but still entail the quirky but chic design details I've always loved about the Countryman. I tested both the same day and was ready to put money on the countryman but the 500x won me over.

I've never owned a car that didn't have a fog-light cut-out when the high beams were on. Perhaps some of the DRL/fog combos don't behave that way; but I can't remember any of our dozen or so vehicles having fogs that stayed on along with the 'brights'.

X19
11-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Oddly enough, the 500L allows you to run the highs and fogs together.

CoachRick
11-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Oddly enough, the 500L allows you to run the highs and fogs together.

Well, smack me silly! I guess I haven't tried that combo on our new L. I reckon it does behave differently since the 'highs' are the eyelid lifting type vs extra juice being run to another/brighter lamp. Of course, the fogs on the L are also turning lamps, so they perform myriad duties. And...nowadays fogs are often combined with DRL duties, so that mucks up the equation also. I reckon one reason that fogs originally didn't work with high beams was the thought that the fogs would be used in FOG...and we were always taught that high beams would simply result in glare and reflection if used in a foggy situation. Life was so simple in the dark ages ;)