PDA

View Full Version : Not in the UG or the OM

500X_JML
10-09-2015, 06:46 PM
I thought I'd start this thread of undocumented or poorly documented features of the 500X for everyone's benefit. Please pitch in.

The rear wiper activates when the front wipers are on AND you drive in reverse.
The Uconnect system remains on even after you turn the engine off if you're using your mobile phone through its Bluetooth connection; it then turns off after you end the phone call.
The Drive Mode Selector graphic interface in the EVIC display changes depending on the Drive Mode you're on (try it, it's pretty cool).
There's an air vent with a damper on the left inside of the upper glove box compartment for cooling or warming whatever you put in there.
The brightness level of the EVIC and Uconnect displays adapts to the outside brightness.
The front wipers have 3 Service positions activated through the Mist feature within 2 minutes of shutting the engine off.
The Rear Defrost control button ALSO activates the Heated Outside mirrors.
When changing lanes, you can just tap on the turn signal lever without moving it all the way up or down; the signal stops automatically after about 5 seconds.

Does anyone know how to change the rear wiper blade? There's something preventing the arm from bending to an angle even after you remove the base mount cover. Thanks.

Andree
10-09-2015, 10:53 PM
"There's an air vent with a damper on the left inside of the upper glove box compartment for cooling or warming whatever you put in there."

Have you verified air is actually coming through there? When the 500L first came to the US, the hole or plug was there, but there was nothing hooked up to it. The European model had the a/c hooked up to the glove box.

Here's an old thread about it:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11416-Glove-box-drink-cooler-dial!-via-n00dle

Pic:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11270-Trekking-in-LA!&p=624399&viewfull=1#post624399

And the instructions for the 500L hookup from back then:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11549-Connecting-the-gloveboox-cooler

I remember that just like it was yesterday. But I don't remember if it was ever fixed in the 500L so that it DID have the cooler. Does it?

Surprisingly, many of the other mentioned features are also in the 500L and the regular 500. My 2013 Lounge has the turn signal tap (3 twinks of the light), heated outside mirrors with rear defrost, rear wiper on in reverse when front wipers on.

But no a/c in the glove box. Can you get a pic or test it out to be sure air IS blowing in there?

datasage
10-09-2015, 11:11 PM
It is blowing in there, at least on the trekking plus. Not sure about others.

Moonfiat
10-10-2015, 01:01 AM
Chilled glove box on the Lounge. Nice to crank up the A/C and arrive with chilled bottle of bubbly for a dinner party.

datasage
10-10-2015, 02:18 AM
I do like that the display and light change brightness, but it does have an issue. On an overcast day, it cant seem to make up its mind what brightness it wants to stay at. If it smoothly changed brightness, it would be fine, but can flicker constantly and become distracting.

Something i didn't realize right away is that the center armrest slides out. Just push on it and will slide forward.

Major
10-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Initially thought the rear wiper blade arm was the same as my Fiat 500, but it is not. There seems to be a molded in "stop" preventing the arm from rotating upward, enabling an easy blade change. I am curious about how Fiat intends to accomplish a rear wiper blade change in this case... the Fiat 500 arm is a bit longer than the Fiat 500X arm. If the mounting bolt is the same diameter, perhaps a replacement is in order.

datasage
10-10-2015, 03:14 PM
From the manual:

Rear Wiper Blade Removal/Installation
1. Carefully lift the rear wiper arm upward to raise the
wiper blade off of the liftgate glass.
2. Grab and hold the wiper arm closest to the wiper
blade end while pushing the wiper blade towards the
liftgate glass to unsnap the blade pivot pin from the
wiper blade holder on the wiper arm.
3. Install the wiper blade pivot pin into the wiper blade
holder at the end of the wiper arm, and firmly push
the wiper blade until it snaps into place.

500X_JML
10-11-2015, 09:09 AM
From the manual:

Rear Wiper Blade Removal/Installation
1. Carefully lift the rear wiper arm upward to raise the
wiper blade off of the liftgate glass.
2. Grab and hold the wiper arm closest to the wiper
blade end while pushing the wiper blade towards the
liftgate glass to unsnap the blade pivot pin from the
wiper blade holder on the wiper arm.
3. Install the wiper blade pivot pin into the wiper blade
holder at the end of the wiper arm, and firmly push
the wiper blade until it snaps into place.

Yeah, I saw this in the manual; but these steps makes the replacement appear a lot easier than it actually is. As I found out, and as Major confirmed above, there's a stop preventing the arm from rotating upward; and the clearance you get by just raising the arm off the glass seems barely enough to unsnap the blade. I'm afraid I'm gonna break something :numbness: Why don't you try it? :courage: Let us know how it goes, and take some photos if you do . . . thanks.

500X_JML
10-11-2015, 09:17 AM
But no a/c in the glove box. Can you get a pic or test it out to be sure air IS blowing in there?

Yeah, there's air blowing through it.

Stacey Willard
10-11-2015, 11:27 AM
"There's an air vent with a damper on the left inside of the upper glove box compartment for cooling or warming whatever you put in there."

Have you verified air is actually coming through there? When the 500L first came to the US, the hole or plug was there, but there was nothing hooked up to it. The European model had the a/c hooked up to the glove box.

Here's an old thread about it:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11416-Glove-box-drink-cooler-dial!-via-n00dle

Pic:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11270-Trekking-in-LA!&p=624399&viewfull=1#post624399

And the instructions for the 500L hookup from back then:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?11549-Connecting-the-gloveboox-cooler

I remember that just like it was yesterday. But I don't remember if it was ever fixed in the 500L so that it DID have the cooler. Does it?

Surprisingly, many of the other mentioned features are also in the 500L and the regular 500. My 2013 Lounge has the turn signal tap (3 twinks of the light), heated outside mirrors with rear defrost, rear wiper on in reverse when front wipers on.

It works on my Lounge, you can feel the air blowing in the glove box. Even the salesman told me about it. Most of the stuff in the original post my salesman demonstrated. They are great at my Fiat studio.

500X_JML
10-11-2015, 07:54 PM
If you unlock just the liftgate, it locks back up after you close it with a horn-sound confirmation.

Moonfiat
10-12-2015, 02:34 AM
I should say a 5th of bubbly not a full bottle. Doesn't fit. Tried it.

Moonfiat
10-12-2015, 02:36 AM
This is a great thread and thanks for it! Coming from a 2007 vehicle to 2016 has been a bit of a learning curve but I'm getting the hang of it and enjoying some new features. At least now I can so, "Oh, that's what's happening." THANKS!

500X_JML
10-12-2015, 06:47 PM
About 2 weeks ago, SiriusXM pushed an update, and as you all know we get a free 1-year trial subscription. Anyway, all I saw while driving was an Update message on the Uconnect display then I noticed I lost all my channels and presets. All I was left with was channel 1 playing samples and a second screen showing my radio ID.

Fixed this issue by requesting for a Refresh Signal - - > https://care.siriusxm.com/retailrefresh_view.action . All channels and presets were restored after.

I'm unsure on getting a paid subscription--I've read of obnoxious sales tactics and difficulty unsubscribing; plus I encounter "dead" spots every now and then which is annoying. And BTW I received e-mail from them right after I requested for the Refresh asking for e-mail address verification and offering subscription deals. I don't remember how they would've obtained it in the first place; most likely somewhere in the car buying process, probably through the dealership. I ignored it, and haven't received any so far after the second one.

Intwischa
10-14-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm unsure on getting a paid subscription--I've read of obnoxious sales tactics and difficulty unsubscribing; plus I encounter "dead" spots every now and then which is annoying. And BTW I received e-mail from them right after I requested for the Refresh asking for e-mail address verification and offering subscription deals. I don't remember how they would've obtained it in the first place; most likely somewhere in the car buying process, probably through the dealership. I ignored it, and haven't received any so far after the second one.

Yes, they are very obnoxious. the moment the subscription is over and they have your credit card on file they will charge you the maximum amount no matter what kind of deal they are running. The way to avoid it is to request them to remove your credit card from file. You can get a subscription for around $100 a year (after fee's and taxes), but it will involve a yearly phone call. You just have to tell them that the service cost too much and they will offer you a year subscription for $80 or so dollars + tax and fee's will end up a total of around $100. They also sometimes have deals for 6 month for around $30, you just have to call them each time to get your subscription adjusted.

I have 2 subscriptions that i have been renewing for $100 each for 6 years now, but i have to call them once a year to get it at that price.
if you really like the service and can pay $500+ upfront you can get a lifetime subscription and its a $30-$50 fee to transfer it to another car when needed. Though my information about the lifetime price might be out of date.

datasage
10-14-2015, 01:23 PM
The dead spots are due to how SiriusXM works. It requires line of sight with the satellite. Bridges, parking garages, tunnels, tall buildings can all interrupt the signal. OTA radio is generally at a frequency that can penetrate most obstructions (to a point). SiriusXM is at a much higher frequency.

500X_JML
10-14-2015, 08:10 PM
When driving in low-light conditions with Auto headlights on and fog lights off, these same fog lights act as cornering lights. The side corresponding to the direction of your turn lights up; and, only tonight I found out, the corresponding side also lights up as soon as you move the turn signal lever--that's way before making the actual turn :cool:

500X_JML
10-16-2015, 06:16 PM
If you lock all doors but left one ajar, you get a loud horn sound alerting you to it. Strangely, however, if it's the liftgate you left ajar you don't get an audible alert :hmmm:

Also, I noticed if it's one of the rear doors left ajar it locks back up after you re-close it; but if it's one of the front doors it doesn't. I need to test this more somewhere quite desolate--I don't want to annoy my neighbors with the loud horn sounds I'm making gr_grin

datasage
10-17-2015, 09:22 AM
I've accidentally armed the alarm a couple times on accident.

500X_JML
10-19-2015, 07:08 AM
I remotely started the car this morning: the EVIC temp reading showed 34 degrees F, a large amber snow flake symbol appeared on the display then minimized, the heated steering wheel switch was on, and the heated driver's seat switch was on High :cool: the front passenger's switch was off as designed.

500X_JML
10-19-2015, 12:38 PM
The low tire pressure alert comes on at 28 and, unlike on some similarly-priced cars, points out the actual tire. It turns off after you air up--makes me wonder if it will, even if you keep the car running . . . I'll try next time.

I apologize if it appears I'm using this thread as a log . . because actually I am gr_grin

Major
10-29-2015, 05:32 PM
Initially thought the rear wiper blade arm was the same as my Fiat 500, but it is not. There seems to be a molded in "stop" preventing the arm from rotating upward, enabling an easy blade change. I am curious about how Fiat intends to accomplish a rear wiper blade change in this case... the Fiat 500 arm is a bit longer than the Fiat 500X arm. If the mounting bolt is the same diameter, perhaps a replacement is in order.

If you can find a bargain Fiat 500 rear wiper arm (wreck or wiper delete salvage) at a reasonable price, the arms are interchangeable. The motor shaft is the same diameter, the flange nut is 10mm and it's a five minute swap. It may be worth it to simplify your life if, like me, you own multiple Fiats. Your call...

hownowcb
10-30-2015, 05:11 PM
• I know the rear wiper blade on my wife's 500X Lounge is two inches shorter than on my 500 Abarth, so I'm not convinced the arms are necessarily interchangeable by default. I haven't measured the arm lengths yet.

• The 500X upper glovebox can either chill or warm the contents, depending on the temperature setting for the climate control.

Stacey Willard
10-30-2015, 08:51 PM
This happened on mine too with auto start. One morning it even knew to turn on the rear defrost automatically when it was fogged up. Smart cars :)

Stacey Willard
10-30-2015, 08:52 PM
I remotely started the car this morning: the EVIC temp reading showed 34 degrees F, a large amber snow flake symbol appeared on the display then minimized, the heated steering wheel switch was on, and the heated driver's seat switch was on High :cool: the front passenger's switch was off as designed.

This happened on mine too with auto start. One morning it even knew to turn on the rear defrost automatically when it was fogged up. Smart cars :)

500X_JML
12-03-2015, 02:20 PM
If you leave the ignition switch in the Run position then open the door, an alarm draws your attention to it; a message on the EVIC display appears as well.