PDA

View Full Version : Using the 16" Pirelli All-Season's in Winter

Morillus
10-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Anyone have experience with this? I'm in CT so it snows pretty heavily here.

m3racer
10-07-2015, 11:25 AM
I live in Delaware and they seemed to have worked fine last year. I wish I had Blizzaks on the car but the Pirellis got me to work on flat roads.

mp4guy
10-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Anyone have experience with this? I'm in CT so it snows pretty heavily here.

The answer is "not bad." We've had some heavy snow on Long Island, and they get the job done pretty well for an all-rounder. Front wheel drive is a big asset as well.

However, I don't commute with my car, so if you put heavy mileage in winter, you may want to consider dedicated tires. Of course, if you buy them, it means we will have the mildest winter in 30 years. nopity

B3NN3TT
10-07-2015, 01:16 PM
No problem with mine. Keep Sport turned off, and stay out of boost, and you have no worries.

aevansgatech
10-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Yep, unanimous feedback on this topic has been "they'll do but Pirellis/Blizzaks are worth their price"

I was a devoted "I'll get by on all-seasons" guy until last year and the grip of Pirellis in the snow is well worth it to me.

Trunkout
10-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Yeah Blizzacks are CRAZY. Better snow grip on a front wheel drive Yaris than a Subaru with good all seasons.
Bliz are worth every penny.0

Joe
10-07-2015, 05:06 PM
I also live in CT. I did my first winter with the car on the stock all season, and did last winter with snow tires. I would HIGHLY recommend the snow tires.

jguerdat
10-08-2015, 09:34 AM
Yep, unanimous feedback on this topic has been "they'll do but Pirellis/Blizzaks are worth their price"

I was a devoted "I'll get by on all-seasons" guy until last year and the grip of Pirellis in the snow is well worth it to me.

Agreed. Last winter may have been a fluke but I had the car sliding around on me in ways I haven't experienced with any other car on all-seasons. I bought some Blizzaks and the car became very stable. Rochester, NY here.

domdil
10-14-2015, 12:30 PM
I live in Canada so I run dedicated winters ( pirelli snow controls) on my Abarth. To be honest I never really understood why anyone would sacrifice their safety as well as others on the road to save $400 ( roughly what a good set of winter tires cost) not to mention if you have 2 sets of tires, your summer tires will last much longer since you're only using them 7-8 months out of the year.

doverosx
10-14-2015, 02:03 PM
I live in Canada so I run dedicated winters ( pirelli snow controls) on my Abarth. To be honest I never really understood why anyone would sacrifice their safety as well as others on the road to save $400 ( roughly what a good set of winter tires cost) not to mention if you have 2 sets of tires, your summer tires will last much longer since you're only using them 7-8 months out of the year.

Agreed! I found that the p7s are very good in the snow based on measurements by tire rack but the winter prowess offered by my Toyo GSi5s us only matched by two other tires in the market.

nielmon
11-11-2015, 02:11 AM
To me, all season tires can perform ok in the snow but winter tires will perform much better.