PDA

View Full Version : Center Cap Question

gtntahg
10-06-2015, 02:46 PM
I have a broken center cap on the stock 17" wheel (the cap is the small one with a red background and white scorpion).

I have a new replacement cap but my question is:

Do you have to push the center cap out from the backside of the wheel (i.e., remove the wheel), or, does the center cap just pop out with some gentle prying with a soft tool from the "front"?

Tweak
10-07-2015, 01:30 AM
I have a broken center cap on the stock 17" wheel (the cap is the small one with a red background and white scorpion).

I have a new replacement cap but my question is:

Do you have to push the center cap out from the backside of the wheel (i.e., remove the wheel), or, does the center cap just pop out with some gentle prying with a soft tool from the "front"?

Yes.

Easier to push it though. ;)

gtntahg
10-07-2015, 06:31 AM
Thanks!

gspot
10-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Yes.

Easier to push it though. ;) if its broke just stick a screw driver in and pull, then push new in

streetsurfer
10-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Except, he might be intending to repair it to keep as a spare, rather than destroy it.

I think I used the edge of a bondo scraper to lift mine out at one point. The wheel paint was so soft at the onset, I feared even the trim tool would ding it. I believe it is four fairly wide tabs sticking out the back so working your way around the cap incrementally migh be best.

gtntahg
10-07-2015, 09:56 AM
I have an old Chart-Pak LetraSet plastic flat tool that I'll try first then.

Then if that doesn't work, roll out the floor jack. Although I hadn't really thought of trying to save the damaged center cap so it may meet its demise via screw driver.

Usually I break stuff "working" on my car when I'm not trying - now I can break stuff and not worry about it! Hey-hey.

Thanks all for the replies.

gspot
10-08-2015, 05:22 AM
I have an old Chart-Pak LetraSet plastic flat tool that I'll try first then.

Then if that doesn't work, roll out the floor jack. Although I hadn't really thought of trying to save the damaged center cap so it may meet its demise via screw driver.

Usually I break stuff "working" on my car when I'm not trying - now I can break stuff and not worry about it! Hey-hey.

Thanks all for the replies.

THE 4 PLASTIC lugs on the back of the cap are painfully easy to snap , they have to be a tight fit to stay on so even fitting them is hit and miss . 1 false move and lug or 2 breaks its game over