PDA

View Full Version : Can we Get a diesel 500X for the USA?

neubauerjoseph
10-01-2015, 07:14 PM
so I know that VW is in a lot of trouble about there TDI but what do you guys think about bring that option here?
So what I would like it some kind of Muitijet or Fiat diesel I was reading a Car journalist saying that its a Shame that Fiat does sell diesel here because they make some of the best diesel engines in the auto industry. SO what do you guys think? I could see it if they packaged it like the Fiat 500x Trekking plus and included everything for the extra cost.

datasage
10-01-2015, 08:26 PM
It would cost a lot of money to get the engine approved for the US market, which would require some sort of minimum manufacturing allotment to make it worthwhile. Unfortunately diesels are not in high demand here in the US.

aelfwyne
10-01-2015, 08:37 PM
I think with the current diesel emissions scandals, there's not a chance in hell of any new diesels coming to the US for a long, very long time.

BlueCorn
10-01-2015, 09:48 PM
I think with the current diesel emissions scandals, there's not a chance in hell of any new diesels coming to the US for a long, very long time.

That was my thought. Releasing one now, here, would be suicide.

Moonfiat
10-01-2015, 11:01 PM
I'm not so sure about the future of diesel in Europe either. With their increasing emissions standards and the U.K. and France's vocal displeasure with diesel fuel in general, I'd rather FCA focus on the hybrid/battery future. As city and short haul oriented as the CUV class of vehicles are, I'm surprised Honda or Toyota didn't come out with Hybrid versions. Maybe the size of the class makes battery placement tricky and space consuming? I would think Fiat's Ferrari division would have plenty of HY-KERS tech to drop down to the masses of the FCA crowd. Then, the useless power meter in Sport Mode could become a welcomed HY-KERS indicator of when I've built up enough juice for the stop light launch to 88mph. Think that out.