PDA

View Full Version : Adding a factory style backup camera?

Lasttuesday
09-27-2015, 11:30 PM
We have a 500x Easy and I'm starting to regret not getting a backup camera. I know the factory installations have the camera in the lift gate handle and feed to the UConnect screen. Does anyone know if this setup can be added, or am I going to be stuck with an aftermarket setup? Thanks for any info you have!

datasage
09-28-2015, 12:24 AM
I highly doubt you will be able to add this afterwards. While you may be able to get the parts, you may run into software issues getting it to recognize the camera. I'm not entirely sure how they manage the configuration for different features.

If the software were more open, you may have third parties proving additional options for the system.

mp4guy
09-28-2015, 09:33 AM
Check out Amazon for some options on this. I see people mounting small cameras to their license plate bolts, and you can wire a dedicated rear view camera or use a rear view mirror to present the image. Personally with a car this small, I don't see the need for it. Would have been nice to have when I had to learn how to drive on my Dad's Lincoln Mark IV. You didn't know where the end of the car was. Usually in the next state.

neubauerjoseph
09-29-2015, 12:50 AM
ask you studio, see what they can do. but make sure you ask all the questions. example will I have software? how long will you warrenty the work? also you might have to get the part for the backup camera and maybe the park view seneer.

Tweak
09-29-2015, 10:00 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Simultaneous-Water-proof-Monitoring-one-button-Multi-Language/dp/B010H0SL9O

Really like this unit...it is in my Abarth but I may move it to another car so backup camera was mounted only in a temp capacity and worked well. Pretty easy install though and the larger mirror is great. :)

Fabio13
10-01-2015, 05:55 AM
How about this unit? It makes a squealing sound if you back too close to an object:

pkgmsu2000
06-06-2016, 01:22 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Simultaneous-Water-proof-Monitoring-one-button-Multi-Language/dp/B010H0SL9O

Really like this unit...it is in my Abarth but I may move it to another car so backup camera was mounted only in a temp capacity and worked well. Pretty easy install though and the larger mirror is great. :)

This is likely the route im going with my X pop, since my rear view mirror couldn't be any more basic and I won't miss it lol. My other idea is to look into radio/steering wheel swap from 3.0 to 6.5... But that likely requires to me wait a couple years for a X to get parted out or show up in a junkyard.

pkgmsu2000
01-18-2017, 06:57 PM
curious if anyone knows if the OEM backup camera is wired as "composite" or "RGB" ???

i was just told that the OEM backup camera will interface with double din aftermarket decks with apple carplay *IF* the camera is wired in as composite.

of course i could call every fiat dealership in the country and probably get nowhere on this question, lol. so i am posing my question here :-)

TIA