PDA

View Full Version : Autocross a 500e

G0to60
09-24-2015, 11:41 AM
I know that there was a media event a couple of years ago at Laguna Seca that let mainly journalists thrash a 500e around some cones.

Has anyone taken their own 500e out to an autocross event? I would think that it would be a blast to toss around the cones. I know that the SCCA has deemed the 500 (gas version) as having too high of a center of gravity to be classed in the stock classes but can be in the ST class. The 500e probably has a lower CG due to the battery but I doubt that the SCCA has classed the low volume electric.

Regardless, I'm thinking of taking my wife's 500e next summer to smash some cones at one of the local events and wanted to see if anyone has already done this. I'm curious on how the regen holds up, how much battery is used in anger, and anything else that may pop up.

Here is me beating up on my Corrado a couple of years ago. Too much fun.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f342/G0to60/Corrado%20Stuff/SalemAutox1.jpg (http://s50.photobucket.com/user/G0to60/media/Corrado%20Stuff/SalemAutox1.jpg.html)

Robert Nixon
09-24-2015, 11:55 AM
As long as you check with the people running the event to ask if they'll allow it first, hopefully they'd let you run. I'm not sure if the SCCA calculation method actually takes into account where the weight is, or if they just calculate using the weight and the height.

I'd think with all the electric torque available from the start it would be a good thing!

DaveN007
09-24-2015, 12:17 PM
I have experience on race tracks with Teslas. They overheat pretty quickly and go into limp mode. Sometimes before the end of a single lap.

I have not auto-crossed before, so I can't speak to the relative stress it puts on a car but I imagine that a lot of full power output without much airflow is going to heat things up pretty quickly.

Should be interesting. Better tires will make a huge difference I am sure. dddddd

The Corrado was such a cool car when it was introduced. Good to see one still out Farfegnoogining.

G0to60
09-24-2015, 12:19 PM
There are a couple groups here in Portland that loosely follow the SCCA guidelines and usually have an open class that just about anything can run. I'm not looking to place in any category but just have a fun day. I'll probably contact them before the event to double check.

I do think that the SCCA calculates the center of gravity by if the height is greater than the width they won't let the car run in stock class. They do let the 500 run in ST class because you can't run sticky tires in ST but you can run those tires in Stock so their thinking is that you'll slide around before you tip over in ST.

ChrisPDX
09-24-2015, 12:25 PM
You can probably run TO (Time Only). You aren't competing with others, just yourself. As long as it passes the safety inspection, you should be good.

New tires would be a must. Stock tires are really bad on traction!

BigDaddySRT
09-24-2015, 12:29 PM
There are a couple groups here in Portland that loosely follow the SCCA guidelines and usually have an open class that just about anything can run. I'm not looking to place in any category but just have a fun day. I'll probably contact them before the event to double check.

I do think that the SCCA calculates the center of gravity by if the height is greater than the width they won't let the car run in stock class. They do let the 500 run in ST class because you can't run sticky tires in ST but you can run those tires in Stock so their thinking is that you'll slide around before you tip over in ST.

I would certainly hope that you would not be allowed simply for the fire hazard... What do you do if your 500e catches fire while you are involved at a racetrack? What would the track officials do if your 500e catches fire?

G0to60
09-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Why would it be a greater fire hazard over a gas burning car? The battery is liquid cooled and has safety shut downs in the event of over heating. I highly doubt that a ~60 sec run will cause anything to catch fire.

nilfinite
09-24-2015, 12:44 PM
SCCA's calculation to determine if something is not safe is only based on width and height. They don't look at CG unfortunately. However, I'm sure you will be able to find a group that won't care though (something not SCCA but uses the SCCA classification). Got a 500e recently, it's is insanely fast up to 45 mph! Really easy to spin those LRR tires.

BigDaddySRT
09-24-2015, 02:00 PM
Why would it be a greater fire hazard over a gas burning car? The battery is liquid cooled and has safety shut downs in the event of over heating. I highly doubt that a ~60 sec run will cause anything to catch fire.

Do you not understand what happens with Lithium Based Battery packs should they catch fire?

G0to60
09-24-2015, 02:15 PM
Do you not understand what happens with Lithium Based Battery packs should they catch fire?

Yes I do but it is very unlikely to happen do to the short duration and the on board safety features. You do understand that the battery pack is liquid cooled right?

The factory also allowed journalists to thrash a few 500e's on an autocross coarse with no problems or accidents.

There have also been several Tesla Roadsters, Spark EV, and homebuilt EV's that have competed in various autocrosses.

DaveN007
09-24-2015, 05:20 PM
I would certainly hope that you would not be allowed simply for the fire hazard... What do you do if your 500e catches fire while you are involved at a racetrack? What would the track officials do if your 500e catches fire?

Gasoline fire far more likely. I'd bet that an EV is safer than a car with a traditional fuel tank.

Batteries burn and pop around like fireworks.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/05/man-steals-crashes-catches-on-fire-tesla-model-s/

500eee
09-25-2015, 11:21 AM
I think the 500e would be great to autocross! Lots of torque, linear acceleration (no need to up/down shift) and low center of gravity. I'd worry more about the traction-challenged squealy tires than the remote chance that it could "catch fire" :rolleyes:

B3NN3TT
09-25-2015, 02:45 PM
There was a Tesla P85 at the last SCCA event I entered. Pretty quick for a great big sedan.