PDA

View Full Version : Blown Tranny!!!

pglickenhaus
09-22-2015, 11:43 PM
I own a 2014 500l trekking with approx 6K miles. This past Sunday the battery went dead. I got a jump Monday Am and proceed to the dealer about a 1/4 mile from the house I noticed the Transmission would only stay in second. Stopped and tried manual and then park to D. Nothing helped so I turned around. Remember I was no more than a 1/4 mile away. The car started bucking and stopping and an unbelievable amount of smoke can out from under the hood. I called the dealer they advised to contact roadside and have it towed. This was Monday. I called Tuesday morning for a status and was told I need a completely new transmission and battery. I asked for a loaner and was told I would receive a call back, which never happened.
Yes I know some cars are lemons but a complete transmission breakdown in about a year. I guess that's why they don't offer them any longer and have now gone to a conventional tranny.
Still disgusted with the dealer and still car-less with no definitive estimate of how long it will take to get a part.
I will surely be trading this in at a big loss once I get it back as I now have a bad taste from both the manufacturer and dealer.
Thanks for letting me vent!

pglickenhaus
09-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Just an update. I got a rental car from Enterprise on Wednesday 9/23. Every day I call the dealer and every day it's the same story. Part is not in but maybe later.
It is now 9/29/15 and called and same story they have a UPS tracking number an maybe later.
I urge anyone who is considering a Fiat to NOT. Live and learn. These cars have substantial faults in design and manufacture and IMHO they are junk.

Trunkout
09-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Just an update. I got a rental car from Enterprise on Wednesday 9/23. Every day I call the dealer and every day it's the same story. Part is not in but maybe later.
It is now 9/29/15 and called and same story they have a UPS tracking number an maybe later.
I urge anyone who is considering a Fiat to NOT. Live and learn. These cars have substantial faults in design and manufacture and IMHO they are junk.

ONE car. ONE problem. So now the car, company, and dealership are junk?

smark
09-29-2015, 07:47 PM
I've owned my 500 for 4 years now. Got a loaner anytime the car was in the shop for a period of time. Our new studio will give you a loaner for any service.

Any cars, will have issues. Your car is under warranty. You should get a new transmission. You'll loose more money trading the vehicle in. At least you don't have to pay $4-5k for a new one.

pglickenhaus
09-29-2015, 08:23 PM
ONE car. ONE problem. So now the car, company, and dealership are junk?

In MY opinion..........yes

MJAB
09-29-2015, 08:27 PM
If You own a Fiat 500L with dual clutch gearbox, that is not sold in Europe, and since there was a lot of smoke probably clutch pack overheated.
You have the same gearbox as Alfa Romeo 4C and other Alfa Romeo sold in Europe, dealing with most powerful and torquier engines.
I think most of the problems are due to the way the management software was tuned for the U.S.A. market, like too much "active creeping" simulation.
There were some problems with some cars due to defective brake pedal switches (there are two switches inside, one for stop lights and one that is used as "stop condition" signal for disengaging the clutch).
It seems to me that someone in FCA U.S.A. R&D centers thinks that a dual clutch gearbox has to simulate too much a "traditional" automatic gearbox.

streetsurfer
09-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Heading out before fully charging the battery couldn't have had anything to do with it? Nah, surely it's the brand and transmission's fault.

Operating or straining an electric motor/device under voltage less than it's required limits is a sure way to ruin it.

Tweak
09-29-2015, 09:19 PM
Certainly not a happy situation and none of us would want to be in this position but I think that's a fairly large jump to consider the entire brand as "junk".

I give you that part availability is a major problem and often the service is lacking to say the least with some dealers. I've had no major problems and the one time I did it got fixed and they also fixed rock damage and installed a mod for free while they were fixing the rear main seal.

I also get a free loaner for even the smallest situation. I recently took the car for the problematic side skirts and they got me new skirts installed, offered a vehicle and said 2 days max needed. Later that day they called to let me know the car was done.

Obviously results and opinions of the car and the faults vary greatly. Good luck getting back into your Fiat.

Slovakman
09-30-2015, 05:38 PM
And yes, you can also cause clutch problems if you habitually brake with your left foot, this will cause the clutch to smoke and give the tranny the wrong message. I hope you get this resolved, and give FIAT another chance.

pglickenhaus
09-30-2015, 06:49 PM
And yes, you can also cause clutch problems if you habitually brake with your left foot, this will cause the clutch to smoke and give the tranny the wrong message. I hope you get this resolved, and give FIAT another chance.

I just picked the car up about an hour ago. Service writer at the dealership is a quality guy. Seems to run as it should. Seems to be a common problem with this transmission. The car is now severely pulling to the right. I will make it back in when I have some time but unfortunately I need a car that in dependable ( as we all do) and my confidence has been shaken with a transmission and battery replacement in a years time.
Only time will tell. The trade in value on these is abysmal so it looks as though I am stuck with this for a while. I hope this car proves me wrong. Again, thanks for letting me vent!