PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500X reliability - better info

mkaresh
09-17-2015, 02:12 PM
I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that made the differences between cars clearer. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

Thanks partly to the help of members of this forum (for which I'm very grateful), we've been providing stats on the 500 and 500L. I'd like to do the same for the 500X. Just a matter of getting enough owners involved.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a quick survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the 500X, for free. I'll share results for the 500X in this thread once we have them.

http://www.truedelta.com/join

mkaresh
12-18-2015, 05:09 PM
A few owners have signed up, but not enough to include the 500X in the survey. The next round begins in a couple weeks.

mkaresh
03-04-2016, 03:22 PM
The related Jeep Renegade is in the survey, but we're still far short of the number needed for the 500X. They might share so many parts that they can be combined. Either way, I hope more 500X owners will sign up, so we can provide reliability stats for them.

Abarthboy
03-06-2016, 08:55 PM
Just registered. My X is only 2 days old, so not much to report just yet.

carfreak09
03-07-2016, 06:57 PM
I registered both my cars as well.

mkaresh
04-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Just registered. My X is only 2 days old, so not much to report just yet.

In general this is the best time to join, as we don't include problems that appeared before someone joined in the analysis. Unfortunately, the 500X isn't yet part of the survey, as too few owners have signed up.

Those who haven't yet signed up, to help get the 500X included:

www.truedelta.com/join

ginkod
04-03-2016, 06:30 PM
I own a 500x with just 12k and experienced nothing but problems so far. It started with a low pitch humming noise and fiat replaced the front bearings but I still hear the humming noise starts at around 30 mph and it's consistent. It does not change pitch with increased speed. I suspect something with the drive train but Fiat advised me to continue driving until it gets worse so they can pinpoint where it's coming from. In the last month I've started experiencing a different issue on downshifting (this is the 9 speed auto) when pressing the break the car makes an awful roaring noise. This does not happen all the time so it's hard to bring it back to Fiat to get a diagnosis. I'm very disappointed with this car so far and have been blaming myself for choosing it over the Mazda CX3. Not to mention other things like the cabin being very nosy and the cargo space being a joke. Not sure what I'll do if it continues giving me grief, most likely I'll try to off load it and probably loose money on it. If anyone here plans to buy a 500x make sure you really try it out an look for all the issues I mentioned above.

Abarthboy
04-03-2016, 07:59 PM
I own a 500x with just 12k and experienced nothing but problems so far. It started with a low pitch humming noise and fiat replaced the front bearings but I still hear the humming noise starts at around 30 mph and it's consistent. It does not change pitch with increased speed. I suspect something with the drive train but Fiat advised me to continue driving until it gets worse so they can pinpoint where it's coming from. In the last month I've started experiencing a different issue on downshifting (this is the 9 speed auto) when pressing the break the car makes an awful roaring noise. This does not happen all the time so it's hard to bring it back to Fiat to get a diagnosis. I'm very disappointed with this car so far and have been blaming myself for choosing it over the Mazda CX3. Not to mention other things like the cabin being very nosy and the cargo space being a joke. Not sure what I'll do if it continues giving me grief, most likely I'll try to off load it and probably loose money on it. If anyone here plans to buy a 500x make sure you really try it out an look for all the issues I mentioned above.

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having problems with your X, but a look around this forum will show that most owners (at least those here) are really happy with them. I have owned my Easy X for about a month and absolutely love it. I'm not sure what you expected for road noise, by my X compares pretty favorably with my Niece's Mazda CX5 and my wife's Passat. It's a 25K car, not a 50K car. As for the cargo space, yo say you should have bouught a CX3, but have you looked at the cargo volume numbers for that car? It's WAY smaller than the 500X, with considerably less storage space and less legroom in the rear.

Fiat500USA
04-03-2016, 11:20 PM
Sorry to hear you've had an issue. The transmission will downshift when going down hill so the car doesn't freewheel and get away from you. if that is what you are hearing it is normal, but your dealer can verify it. There is a transmission software upgrade that may offer additional refinement that your dealer can do if it wasn't done already.

The 500X uses a premium Noise Vibration Harshness package, along with being made up of 70% high strength steel, so that's a surprise to hear that the car is called noisy. The CX3 seems like a nice car, but the Fiat outclasses it in many ways. The 500X AWD sytem is superior (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2016/01/fiat-500x-all-wheel-drive-system.html), the car also has the top safety rating in its class, the suspension is more sophisticated and features Koni shock technology, and as mentioned, the trunk is a lot larger- 18.5 cu.ft vs. 12.4 cu.ft . Even the interior of the 500X is larger. The 500X has a passenger volume of 100.1 cu.ft vs. 87.6 for the CX3. The grass isn't always greener.

Both Audis we bought had issue (actually a lot of issues) when we first got them but once ironed out we got good service out of them. My advice would be you have a nice car, don't let a couple of preliminary bumps in the road ruin everything, and make you take a financial hit unless you've totally made up your mind. Good luck.

ginkod
04-04-2016, 06:52 AM
Thank you for all the replies. The transmission roar at downshift does not happen downhill it happens under normal driving conditions. As far as the noise goes it's all related to the humming noise I was referring to in my original post. I'm sure there are several happy owners in this forum but unfortunately you also have owners like me. I dropped 25k on a new 500x lounge and it's dissapointing that I have to experience these problems with a new car. You will only realize this when it happens to you. Don't get me wrong, I chose the Fiat because of its stylish design and very cool interior and was hoping that mechanically it would live up to expectations. I've owned 4 Jeeps and that is one of the main reasons I confidently bought this car, thinking it will inherit the same engineering quality. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the outcome is.

5port
04-04-2016, 07:35 AM
Only humming I hear is when the transmission has shifted to 7th or 8th at 60mph and the engine is now at 1500-1600 rpm. The low drone thru the floor has been obvious since mine was new and I always took it as normal operating conditions.

Abarthboy
04-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Yes, I get that too in the same RPM range. It's a little bit annoying, but tolerable.

mkaresh
05-02-2016, 11:47 AM
I drive a different car every week, and in quite a few with four-cylinder engines the transmission will lug the engine in pursuit of maximum fuel economy. I haven't had a 500X for a week, but noted such lugging in the Jeep Renegade.

Major
05-09-2016, 09:41 PM
That "lugging" was the reason I own the 1.4L turbocharged 6M version of the 500X. Turbocharging is the solution to the lack of small engine torque. Of course, you mileage may vary, as they say, depending on how heavy your foot is. I've always considered the mileage penalty the price you pay for deciding for yourself what the shift points will be. Then there is the premium gas requirement that puts lots of people off.

pkgmsu2000
06-06-2016, 12:41 AM
That "lugging" was the reason I own the 1.4L turbocharged 6M version of the 500X. Turbocharging is the solution to the lack of small engine torque. Of course, you mileage may vary, as they say, depending on how heavy your foot is. I've always considered the mileage penalty the price you pay for deciding for yourself what the shift points will be. Then there is the premium gas requirement that puts lots of people off.

I too own the 500x pop 1.4T 6MT. I wonder how many of us there are out there, because I have a laundry list of mods planned and not sure if I'm pioneering new territory with 1.4T.

At 5,280 feet in Colorado, Naturally aspirated engines are going to be more likely to starve for air compared to forced induction. I test drove both 1.4 and 2.4 and I had to ask them 3 different times if I drove the same car. I've never drove the 2.4 at sea level.

mkaresh
09-09-2016, 04:03 PM
Hi, guys. So far we have nine 500Xs signed up. Not a bad start, but we need 25 to include them in the survey.

If you haven't already signed up, to help make this happen:

www.truedelta.com/join

500xhon
10-23-2016, 04:28 AM
Just picked up my 2016 500X tonight.

Fiat500USA
10-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Just picked up my 2016 500X tonight.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your X!

mkaresh
01-27-2017, 12:43 PM
Halfway there. I'd still really like to include the 500X in the survey. Just need another dozen owners signed up.

For now, we do have stats for the closely related Renegade. Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2015-2016 Renegade: 27, moderate