PDA

View Full Version : 500X with all the safety options...

X19
09-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Has anyone had a chance to drive a 500X with all the safety options - blind spot monitoring, active braking, etc? I know it is only on the Lounge and Trekking Plus, and then only if the car has the top option package. I read the manual online, and if it all works as described, it sounds very well thought out, but the execution is sometimes lacking...

datasage
09-15-2015, 03:03 PM
Its part of Collection 2 on the Trekking Plus trim. Its pretty much impossible to find. The online inventory tool only shows a single dealer with one.

Andree
09-15-2015, 10:23 PM
Has anyone had a chance to drive a 500X with all the safety options - blind spot monitoring, active braking, etc? I know it is only on the Lounge and Trekking Plus, and then only if the car has the top option package. I read the manual online, and if it all works as described, it sounds very well thought out, but the execution is sometimes lacking...

You might have more luck tracking down a Chrysler 300 with all the safety/security goodies, just to give you an idea of how they all work:
http://www.chrysler.com/en/300/

Click on the Safety and Security, or just scroll down on that page. Same technology, same company, so I'd guess the 500X will perform similar to the 300 in terms of how well the Safety features work.

"SafetyTec 1 includes the ParkSense® Front and Rear Park Assist System+, Blind Spot Monitoring+, Rear Cross Path Detection+, exterior mirrors with supplemental turn signals and courtesy lamps and an auto-dimming exterior driver side mirror.

SafetyTec 2 includes all the SafetyTec 1 features, plus Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop+, Full-Speed Forward Collision Warning with Active Braking+, Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keep Assist+, Advanced Brake Assist, Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers and Automatic High-Beam Control Headlamps."

Check around locally to see if any Chrysler dealers have the SafetyTec 2 package on their 300s, and give that a whirl.

Leifthor
09-17-2015, 11:59 AM
In Sweden the Opening Edition has what you call Safety Tec 1 and Safety Tec 2. In my I once have the experience of the anti collision "working".

smark
09-17-2015, 12:25 PM
It a shame all car manufactures, don't offer the right handed lane change monitor camera, like Honda.

gundam2000
09-17-2015, 12:29 PM
I like to drive my cars so I don't want any of these. All these features turn you into a passenger.
Airbags, safety belts, and an alert/good driver is all that's needed.

too many safety features make poor drivers with no skill. I'm glad not every manufacturer is forcing this stuff on all their buyers.

datasage
09-17-2015, 12:44 PM
I like to drive my cars so I don't want any of these. All these features turn you into a passenger.
Airbags, safety belts, and an alert/good driver is all that's needed.

too many safety features make poor drivers with no skill. I'm glad not every manufacturer is forcing this stuff on all their buyers.

Most drivers don't really want to be driving. They just want to get where they are going. They get distracted while driving and cause accidents.

If this helps reduce accidents overall, I think its a good thing. Eventually automated cars will replace driving for most people.

Maricopaman
09-17-2015, 12:47 PM
I have to agree. Even though I have always worn my seat belts from day one (Yes in High School I owned a Fiat!) and have always argued that all of this stuff would not be needed if people actually realized they were supposed to pay attention while driving! Unfortunately we all have that Uncle who has to look to the people in the back seat while he drives, or the Mom whose kids aren't belted in trying to corral them or the teen boy trying to play with his girlfriends whatever! Now we have police officers (!) texting while driving, no one uses turn signals, making left turns into the far lane. Don't they have drivers ed anymore?

Andree
09-17-2015, 02:12 PM
It would be nice if everyone who drove did drive well, paid attention, etc. In California, there are all kinds of rules and laws to discourage distracted driving. Now that I'm in Arizona, it seems like the wild west! Everyone is texting, making calls! And there are a whole lot of seniors whose driving I question. Actually, there are a lot of people of all ages who could use some lessons or should be prohibited from driving.

There are all kinds of driving conditions, all over the world. And folks that travel may find themselves in unusual (for them) circumstances. New drivers and people who are losing their ability to drive, they can use all the whiz-bang technological developments to stay safe(r). And lets not forget drunk drivers. These are people who could be partially kept from killing people if they had these kinds of vehicles. Drunk, drugged, medically impaired, Ambien takers who go on late night drives and have no recollection of actually doing so.

References:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/01/can-ambien-and-other-sleeping-pills-cause-sleep-driving-and-sleep-eating/index.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/15/ambien-side-effect-sleepwalking-sleep-aid_n_4589743.html

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/why-ambien-and-other-sleeping-aids-are-very-dangerous-and-may-need-be-market

That's just one drug, that can be legally prescribed, and can totally affect the way in which we drive. You out there might be the best driver in the world, but how do you protect against someone who plows into you, swerves into you, or tries to run you over in a crosswalk?

I like the idea of having brakes that work automatically, on all vehicles, since I don't know who is on medications, or is overly tired, or is drunk, or is texting, etc. The life that is saved may be my own. Or yours.

500X_JML
09-17-2015, 07:08 PM
You're right about "all kinds of driving conditions, all over the world." From experience--Asia has the worst, Europe has much better; and we in the U.S., well we're kind of in the middle. But, another thing that's for sure, there are bad drivers everywhere . . .

datasage
09-17-2015, 07:35 PM
There is work being done to make auto braking standard on all new cars. Its not required yet, but it might be in a couple of years.

Fiat500USA
09-17-2015, 10:49 PM
...Eventually automated cars will replace driving for most people.

You are probably right, but this is the most dreadful thing I can think of happening. Masses of people who haven't a clue how to drive on the road. Lawsuits out of control. Cars without steering wheels. It is like nobody wants to say the emperor has no clothes on. I think it is crazy. We have to accommodate those who don't want to expend the effort to drive a car. I really don't see how car enthusiasts can get behind autonomous cars. :dunno:

datasage
09-18-2015, 12:30 AM
I expect that within my lifetime it will become illegal to drive your own car on most roads. Automated are already safer drivers than most humans. They still have some work to do in with some edge cases, but it wont be long before they are out on the roads.

It will also be quite disruptive to the auto industry as a whole. Today, most families own at least one car, but they are utilized less than 5% of the time. With automated cars, you can simply request one on demand, sort of like Uber. This will result in much lower car ownership.

SeaDawg
09-18-2015, 06:05 PM
You are probably right, but this is the most dreadful thing I can think of happening. Masses of people who haven't a clue how to drive on the road. Lawsuits out of control. Cars without steering wheels. It is like nobody wants to say the emperor has no clothes on. I think it is crazy. We have to accommodate those who don't want to expend the effort to drive a car. I really don't see how car enthusiasts can get behind autonomous cars. :dunno:

I'm with you on the autonomous cars thing. But for those that hate the idea of an automatic braking car or auto distance maintaining cruise control, as you get older, your reflexes get worse, and saying 'not mine' will NOT make it so. The government will eventually get around to mandating these 'options' we have now, probably long after I'm gone, but at 69 I see the need for some of them now.

FiatDood
09-19-2015, 12:53 PM

I have the Trekking Plus with the "SafetyTec 1 includes the ParkSense® Front and Rear Park Assist System+, Blind Spot Monitoring+, Rear Cross Path Detection+, exterior mirrors with supplemental turn signals and courtesy lamps and an auto-dimming exterior driver side mirror."

Everything works as it should, but gotta say that most of it is pretty useless. I'm not going to rely on the blind spot monitoring to see is another vehicle is there. I still turn my head and look just to be sure

X19
09-20-2015, 12:23 PM
I didn't realize the 500X included front ParkSense and an auto-dimming exterior driver side mirror!

Andree
09-20-2015, 01:43 PM
I didn't realize the 500X included front ParkSense and an auto-dimming exterior driver side mirror!

I don't believe it does, that is from the Chrysler 300 copy/paste I made in another post.

This is from Fiat's site:
TREKKING PLUS
COLLECTION 2

Automatic High-Beam Control Headlamps Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers LaneSense® Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keep Assist+ Full-Speed Forward Collision Warning with Active Braking+ Dual-Pane Power Sunroof

http://www.fiatusa.com/en/500x/trekking-plus/

The Chrysler 300 has a few more options available than the 500X does currently. As DataSage said, many of the options on the vehicles may well become required, so we'll see them on all the cars in the future.

Yes, the car prices will go up. A small price to pay for life-saving technology. And the new cars will become future used cars, and they will eventually be affordable for everyone.

hownowcb
10-30-2015, 06:26 PM
It a shame all car manufactures, don't offer the right handed lane change monitor camera, like Honda.

Have you actually tried it? We test drove a Honda HR-V, and it was an utterly stupid execution. The video display is in the center of the dashboard -- who is looking there when changing lanes!? Nobody, that's who!

My wife's 500X AWD Lounge has the top safety features package, and while I lean toward old school driving skills and habits, I've found the blind spot monitor quite useful. Changing into the left lane is challenging, because the door pillar creates a significant blind spot, so the alert light in the side mirror and the gentle beep is useful. Same for right lane changes, though less so. The proximity monitor is very useful in parallel parking, since you can't actually see where the front or rear of the car ends from inside. I prefer turning around to face the rear when reversing, but the window is so tiny that I confess to sometimes using the backup camera. But it feels unnatural to me to be looking at the center video display while in reverse!

I prefer relying on skill and observation, but am willing to say the features on my wife's car are at least useful, and very well integrated. We test drove a number of vehicles before she chose the 500X, and the 500X was easily the best of them. I drove a sister-in-law's somewhat comparable BMW last week and was appalled at how illogically the controls are placed, labeled, and how some of them are actuated. It was a nightmare, at probably twice the price.

Fiat500USA
10-30-2015, 11:47 PM
I am traditionally a manual kind of guy - manual windows, manual a/c, manual transmission, etc. However, I don't mind the new technology and get a kick out of the parking camera. I use it as a supplement when backing up and it's handy to see how close you really are. The other features, too, are well integrated, so I'm enjoying getting used to them. It's the 21st century after all! biggrin

X19
10-31-2015, 05:28 PM
hownowcb - "My wife's 500X AWD Lounge has the top safety features package..." So you have automatic braking and the whole works! Finally, someone has one! Had a chance to try it out? - test it I mean! - hopefully it hasn't had to intercede...

TheGonz
11-18-2015, 07:52 PM
...Don't they have drivers ed anymore?

Not in Missouri! Not in most school districts, anyway. When I first moved here I couldn't believe how atrocious the drivers were (I gave up my BMW motorcycle precisely because I've had so many close calls in a car).

They don't use turn signals. They don't know how 4-way stop sign intersections work. Stop signs are pretty much a mere suggestion in St. Louis. Here, it's perfectly reasonable to go the wrong way down a one-way street just as long as you don't see anyone coming... Texting and driving happens in epidemic proportions here. Nobody maintains their lane position through intersections (so, if there are two lanes to turn left, chances are at least 50/50 or better that the person next to you will cut in front of you in the intersection while turning). Passing on double yellow lines. They enter intersections even though they're not clear.

I used to ask people what they taught in driver's ed in this state. Then one day, I found out most districts stopped offering driver's ed years ago thanks to budget cutbacks. So, people learn to drive from their parents who are probably idiots also.

We're rapidly approaching the second generation of new drivers who didn't have driver's ed. They're learning to drive from their parents who never had it, either.

God help us.

Rags747
11-20-2015, 08:26 AM
Listen, if drivers licenses were given out based on skill then 50% of the population on the roads would be taking mass transportation. Pretty much anyone can qualify for a drivers license...that's just the way it is unfortunately.

begin2see
12-18-2015, 07:14 PM

I just picked up my Lounge Collection 6 with all the safety options. One weird thing, the Forward Collision keeps turning off by itself. Since the weather has been good, it can't be that the sensors are blocked. I'm bringing it in to the dealer next week. We will see what's up after then. Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Thanks.

MariaVII
06-06-2016, 08:52 AM
A bit late of a reply, begin2see, but did you ever get your FCW issue fixed? It has been almost 4 months since I bought my 500X Trekking Plus and Im still in limbo. I was told they only knew of one other car with this issue when I brought mine in.

Fiatkingx
06-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Hey!

I have all of the safety options! I have CMBS, and the Blindside spot detection. The only annoying quirks are when you constantly need to go into the settings to turn brake+audio, because the sound will interrupt music.
You also have to adjust sensitivity of the CMBS, i leave it on far, because on near, it isn't helpful at all.

shoot me any questions

Fiatkingx