PDA

View Full Version : What's the realistic city MPG?

Coldsnap
09-02-2015, 10:59 AM
So I'm averaging about 19.5mpg around town. It's a lot of drive 4 seconds, stop, drive another 10 seconds stop, and really short trips down the road. I'm also driving manual for the first time so I'm super inefficient. I'm hoping to at least get it up to 20-24mpg around town. Is that realistic? I drive a 500T.

Wolfwood
09-02-2015, 02:07 PM
I drive an Abarth about 90% city, 10% highway. I've always been in the 27-31 range, usually 29.X. I don't drive very hard as a rule, and rarely use the sport button. I shift at low rpms, or I skip a gear or two to get into 5th quick for the mpgs.

Andree
09-02-2015, 02:25 PM
So I'm averaging about 19.5mpg around town. It's a lot of drive 4 seconds, stop, drive another 10 seconds stop, and really short trips down the road. I'm also driving manual for the first time so I'm super inefficient. I'm hoping to at least get it up to 20-24mpg around town. Is that realistic? I drive a 500T.

There is no answer to this question.

It's not the car, it's where you are.

Your mpg is YOUR mpg, and cannot be compared with my around town mpg, as we have different conditions.

When you are stopped, idling, you're getting zero mpg. You're just burning gas, and that will drop the average way down. And it's the reason why hybrids have such a mega rating for city mpg. They aren't using the gas engine at all, when stopped at a light. It's also why some Fiats in Europe have a stop/start system, that idling is reduced by shutting off the engine, thereby saving gas and increasing your overall mpg.

But, it's never hopeless! You should be able to use the instant mpg in the EVIC to help guide your shifts. I think you also have a shift light in normal mode.

Don't race up to the next stop light and then stop...glide, as it takes less gas to move a car that is still moving than it does to move a car at a dead stop.

More of the tips can be found here:
http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/drive.shtml

And here's an excellent video, showing the same model car with two driving styles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zWXwqqqHm0

gincar96
09-02-2015, 02:28 PM
Tough to answer, fuels vary, climate, drivers too. My wife will get 20-22 I'll get 25-27.

gundam2000
09-02-2015, 04:57 PM
My Abarth is my first manual car.
When I was learning my mileage was poor. all stop and go like what you are experiencing. It has been a year now and my MPG has gone up about 8. so if you are the same you should be able to hit 25-27 in the future.
Coast like others said. Shift earlier. skip gears if possible.

or drive it like you stole it and have fun. That's what I do on weekends.

Tiny Turbo
09-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Location and fuel is a big factor. I'm below sea level and I run 93 Octane (Shell fuel only). I shift around 3000RPM when taking off from a light and quickly try to upshift to 5th gear. I'm in 5th gear when I get up to about 40mph. I'm not easy on the gas at all... and I'm still pulling off 28MPG in the city.

Coldsnap
09-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Yea is skipping gears possible? Sometimes I feel like I can go from 2 to 4 easily.

J.Peterman
09-02-2015, 07:37 PM
I drive a 50/50 mixture of local & country roads; Half are driven between 35-50 mph and the other half at 50-65 mph with a lot of spirited driving. The car is in Sport Mode at least 95% of the time. I have a Unichip Q4 and average a consistent 25 mpg with every tankful of 93 octane non-ethanol gasoline.

aelfwyne
09-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Honestly I believe that some people's definition of "city" driving is extended stretches of 40-45 mph and random stop signs/lights... no way you get 25+ in true city driving in the Abarth unless you barely touch the gas, shift at 1800 RPM in every gear, and coast down carefully in gear, etc... inotherwords, hypermiling... It's simply impossible to drive an Abarth in a "Spirited" manner and get mid 20s city.

Highway likewise, if your local highways have 60mph speed limits which you observe, then sure you can pull 30s. If, however, your highway speed limits are 75mph as they are around me, you'll never see above mid 20s on the highway.

As others have said, it is highly variable based on conditions and driving style.

Now, one thing I find odd is that Fuelly consistently calculates notably higher MPG than my EVIC shows. On my old Sport, the EVIC was accurate. On the Abarth, it's a bit pessimistic. I wonder if that's due to the RRM Ultimate - maybe it's throwing off the calculation?

CoachRick
09-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Tough to answer, fuels vary, climate, drivers too. My wife will get 20-22 I'll get 25-27.

Yep...since swapping cars, I'm getting over 25mpg average in our C70, while DW was more like 21-22. She's "only" getting 25 average in the elle; but we've only had it a month...we shall see. If I ever got a tank close to 20 mpg, I would be very disappointed :(

BUT, you can't really measure stop-and-go driving MILEAGE...it's almost about TIME instead of distance when you are sitting in traffic.

Andree
09-03-2015, 01:20 PM
Yep...since swapping cars, I'm getting over 25mpg average in our C70, while DW was more like 21-22. She's "only" getting 25 average in the elle; but we've only had it a month...we shall see. If I ever got a tank close to 20 mpg, I would be very disappointed :(

BUT, you can't really measure stop-and-go driving MILEAGE...it's almost about TIME instead of distance when you are sitting in traffic.

That is why we have the average speed and the time along with average mpg and distance traveled in the EVIC. Take a look at the average speed, and that will tell a lot about your own driving conditions.

Even with 40-50 mph trips where I used to live, my most frequent route was to a nearby grocery store. And that gave me an average speed of 18 mph. I don't drive that slow on the roadways (haha)....but it's an average....and it counts all those stop signs, stop lights, inching along in a parking lot, etc.

Whenever you're reporting mpg, it's a good idea to add in all the info in the EVIC. The miles traveled, the time it took to travel that far, the average speed, and then the mpg. The average speed will tell everyone so much about the conditions. If it's a lower average speed, there are stop lights, stop signs, idling, commute traffic, parking lots, etc. You can't possibly expect to get great mpg under those conditions...unless you're driving a hybrid.

Coldsnap
09-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Ok that makes sense, as sometimes I will go like 3 days straight with only taking 3min trips where I get up to about 25mph.

Andree
09-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Ok that makes sense, as sometimes I will go like 3 days straight with only taking 3min trips where I get up to about 25mph.

There's a place where you might be able to increase your average overall. Combine the short trips if/when possible. Go at off-hours, when there is much less traffic.

I would sometimes go down to Walgreens at like 2 am to pick up my prescriptions. That place was a nightmare during the afternoon hours, with difficulty just getting into the parking lot, let alone finding a spot and having to stand in line. Go in at 2 am, no line, no waiting, easy parking, fast traffic signals, no traffic on the road.

Of course, I was up at that time, you don't want to have to set your alarm to wreck your night sleep. But there may be better or worse times to take any trip, that will give you advantages or disadvantages. Try to avoid commute times and lunch times. That, in and of itself, will make things easier for you.

Trunkout
09-03-2015, 04:59 PM
I got 45 mpg from my Yaris sedan.
I got 70 mpg from my Insight coupe.
Here's how: http://www.andysautosport.com/learning_center/industry_news/hypermiling_-_saving_gas_by_driving_differently/

minhster
03-28-2016, 03:33 PM
That seems pretty low... I get around 28mpg on my manual Abarth driving mostly in normal mode (as oppose to sport). My average speed shows 21 mph since the majority of my commute is city streets.

DPM
05-11-2016, 10:31 PM
no more than 31mpg

aelfwyne
05-11-2016, 10:52 PM

Realistic, but not if you drive like a bat out of hell in that 4 seconds.

With that kind of stop and go you have to be super conservative with the throttle to get decent mileage no matter what trans you have. I personally get about 23mpg average, but that counts longer trips. On my daily commute, which is IMMEDIATELY 60 mph after leaving apartment with 4 stoplights in 4 miles, and a very slow crawl at work through throngs of oblivious students and speed bumps, I get about that 19.5mpg.

But I floor it every chance I get, and I give it a little extra throttle randomly to build boost when I don't need to, just to crack or pop at people. Yeah, maybe that makes me 1% *******, dunno...

One of the reasons I didn't get a 500T was that the way they limit the power, it doesn't really improve the daily MPG, because when you're not at wide open throttle it's basically the same engine. If I wasn't going to get it back in MPG, why would I give it up in power?

CraigM
05-11-2016, 10:58 PM
Averaging about 4.5 miles per kWh (got 4.8 miles/kWh today which was urban with the a/c blowing). This works out to about 2 cents per mile based on electricity at 11 cents per kWh. Gotta love the 500e!

gincar96
05-12-2016, 06:18 AM
Lots of things will cause variances. I'll normally hit mid 20s with my auto pop

Westbury Fiat
06-06-2016, 06:10 PM
It certainly depends, with the combination between the city and highway mileage it forces a constant discrepancy within the models. For example, to name a few, the city mileage on serene, and beautiful 500L Trekking, you are getting approximately 22 city mpg.
-Westbury Fiat