PDA

View Full Version : I hate to be a complainer......

rob_lewis
08-29-2015, 11:39 PM
2014 500L. 6 Speed Manual.

When accelerating (foot to the floor), noticed that there would be a hesitation around 2700 rpms and then again around 5800. Always assumed the first was the turbo spooling up, second was the accessory belts going into free run mode. I.E. A/C pulley no longer pumping the compressor to give you full power.

Well, one day, the check engine light pops. Hooked it up to a code reader before taking it in, Turbo Underboost..... Hmmmmm

Went to my local dealer (supposedly, the largest in the United States) mentioned the CEL and what the code reader said and he asked, "Is it a 500L?" I thought, uh oh. He said another had the same problem the previous week, they replaced the turbo and he thought they had another in stock.

Drop it off Tuesday, July 7th.

Had to call several times, car is "ready" on Thursday, July 16th.

Pick it up, pull out of the parking lot, accelerate to get onto the freeway, there's now a stutter throughout the entire range. Like a miss? Turn back around, no techs left so the service advisor rides in the car. Says it might just need a tuneup? He'll talk to the techs and let me know. Other service advisor calls on Friday and asks when I can come by to let the tech hear the problem? Tell him to talk to the other advisor and I can be there Saturday morning.

Drop it off on July 18th. They think it may be just a loose hose. OK, makes sense.

Let's fast forward a bit. After repeated calls (because they don't ever call us), find out that Fiat recommends another turbo and an intercooler. Should be done by the 5th. No worries, wife is out of town until Friday August 7th, I'm out until the 10th. NO calls. Called on the 10th. Told the parts "just" arrived and a tech is working on it. Should be done by Friday the 14th. No calls. Got in touch with someone finally around the 18th (leaving a message gets no return calls). Find out the service advisor has been fired, the tech working on the car hurt/broke his hand, but they're working on it. "When the tech has his other work done, he's working late on yours....." HUH?

It's getting comical at this point. Wife calls, gets in touch with the manager and they FINALLY give us a rental to drive while working on hers. Service advisor had told me they don't do rentals, manager said "Absolutely we do". hmmmm.....

Get a call on the 27th that the car is ready!!! Woot. I go pick it up, ask the service advisor "The tech DID test drive it, correct?" Was assured he had. Everything's ready to go. Sorry it took so long. Hope we don't see you for a while.

Pull out of the dealer, second gear, full throttle (BTW, all warmed up, I let it warm up before leaving). Now the stutter is more of a severe bucking on acceleration. Crap!! Go right back in. Of course, no techs to ride in the car. Service advisor rides in it again. Obviously there is a problem. Back to the dealer, calls his boss and talks to the techs. They can't look at it for 1 1/2 to 2 weeks, they're that backed up. I could probably keep driving it. Should be safe. Me, "Uh, no..."

Wife calls dealership, they apologize, car will be looked at FIRST THING Monday morning. And, they have some 500x's coming in as loaners on the 1st and she can drive one of those instead of the Yaris rental.

I'm not holding my breath. Wife's pissed. I'm just laughing at this point because I realized they're the ONLY dealer in town. We don't really have any other choice.......

So we wait......

For those of you playing our home game, we're on week 8 of getting the car fixed.

FWIW, my 2013 500 Turbo still runs great and is a blast to drive!!!

-Rob

NGEN
08-30-2015, 08:27 AM
I am having similar issues on our 500L. However, on 3/4 throttle, no issue. I'm going to look into possible boost leaks but we will see. Keep us updated on what they find.

rob_lewis
08-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Sounds just like mine. Anything but full throttle seems to be ok, but full throttle is when it occurs. I figured a leak, especially after they replaced the turbo the first time. What's weird, though, is that it's been worse after each time I've tried to pick it up.
I'll update this as I know more and find out the resolution.

-Rob

rob_lewis
09-15-2015, 11:30 AM
Just and update, still at the dealer. We haven't heard anything about it.

That makes it 10 weeks as of today......

-Rob

X19
09-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Yikes!

vsigma
09-19-2015, 10:11 PM
isn't this basically lemon law at this point?!???

rob_lewis
09-21-2015, 11:35 PM
Unfortunately, no lemon law as it's supposed to be under 24k miles and we're at 27k. Wife called Fiat Cares and they would look into the problem, confirmed it's beyond lemon law. She called last week (because we still had not heard anything) and the original tech (who was out because the motor of our car dropped on his hand) was back and now looking at it. Heard from them today and they say it's a turbo solenoid. They hope to have it fixed "soon". Tomorrow will be week 11.

Being the only Fiat dealer within 100 miles and the one within 100 is a tiny dealership, our hands are pretty much tied at this point. Not much we can do except wait and keep driving the 500x loaner.

-Rob

Megalomaniacal
09-22-2015, 10:09 AM
get rid of it while you can, FIAT is legendary for dragging their feet on repairs, especially a Tiny dealership. They don't wanna spend time on jobs that take away their master techs from more profitable jobs.

rob_lewis
09-29-2015, 10:28 AM
Going on week 12 now. Wife called FiatCares last week and they said they would look into it. Got a voicemail from the dealer saying, "Since you've contacted FiatCares, I guess I need to update you. We think it's a turbo solenoid, and are waiting for it to come in".

Can't "get rid of it" as we're too upside down right now. Besides, nobody will want to buy a broken car.....

Oh, and it's not a tiny dealer by any stretch of the imagination.

sigh.....

-Rob

FiatCares
09-29-2015, 11:51 AM
Hi rob_lewis,

If you'd like to PM me your VIN, contact info, and the name of the studio you're working with, I can look into this and see if there's anything I can do to assist.

rob_lewis
09-30-2015, 03:56 PM
Heard from the dealer twice on Monday. Was told the part was on backorder and it would be another 6 weeks. Wife went in yesterday to get a new temporary plate for the loaner (it had expired). Talked to the service manager and he had called Chrysler to get one pulled off the production line. Should be here in 3-5 days. He said if it doesn't fix it or if the part doesn't come in, they would institute a buyback. I was communicating with Erica while this was going on.

I asked my wife if they buy it back would she buy another. She said, without hesitating, that she would. She loved the car and both of us understand that things happen.

Hopefully, we'll have some good news next week.

-Rob

Tweak
09-30-2015, 11:28 PM
Heard from the dealer twice on Monday. Was told the part was on backorder and it would be another 6 weeks. Wife went in yesterday to get a new temporary plate for the loaner (it had expired). Talked to the service manager and he had called Chrysler to get one pulled off the production line. Should be here in 3-5 days. He said if it doesn't fix it or if the part doesn't come in, they would institute a buyback. I was communicating with Erica while this was going on.

I asked my wife if they buy it back would she buy another. She said, without hesitating, that she would. She loved the car and both of us understand that things happen.

Hopefully, we'll have some good news next week.

-Rob

Sounding like good news all around...hope all goes well!

rob_lewis
11-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Picked the car up this morning. Took it for a test drive with the Service Manager and the car ran great. Although the loaner was nice, it's better to be back in our own car. He told me if it gives me any issues over the next couple of thousand miles, to immediately bring it back in and they'd put a black box on it to record what's going on.

Took longer than the 3-5 days, but at this point, just glad to have it back.

-Rob

Tweak
11-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Picked the car up this morning. Took it for a test drive with the Service Manager and the car ran great. Although the loaner was nice, it's better to be back in our own car. He told me if it gives me any issues over the next couple of thousand miles, to immediately bring it back in and they'd put a black box on it to record what's going on.

Took longer than the 3-5 days, but at this point, just glad to have it back.

-Rob

Hope there is no need to go back with issues. :)