PDA

View Full Version : Full blast AC blower on startup

Green Tortoise
08-25-2015, 09:44 PM
I have a 2014 500L Trekking. Every time I start the engine, the AC blower jumps to the top speed. The service manager suggested that it was because I had it set to Auto, but later when I checked, it was set to manual. Any ideas why this is happening?

Purgatory
08-25-2015, 10:11 PM
In "auto" mode, that's common if its real hot inside the car. However, if left in "manual" mode, fan should only come on to whatever the last setting was at when car was turned off. Sounds like dealer needs to take a look at it.

Green Tortoise
08-26-2015, 07:11 PM
In "auto" mode, that's common if its real hot inside the car. However, if left in "manual" mode, fan should only come on to whatever the last setting was at when car was turned off. Sounds like dealer needs to take a look at it.

Those were my thoughts, too. Thanks for the confirmation!

SweetSandMan
08-27-2015, 06:32 AM
Unless you have it set to come out of the defroster...in which case it will always go at full blast on start. Not sure why Fiat has them set up like that but they do. If it's set to go through the regular vents, it should remain at whatever level you have it set at.

Fiat500USA
08-27-2015, 08:20 AM
The defroster fan goes to full speed to defog/defrost the windshield immediately. This is a common practice. This has to happen within a certain period of time to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The standard requires a vehicle to cold soak 10 hours in a 0 chamber, then with a wind blowing up to 2 mph the windshield is sprayed with water to form a coating of ice, the car sits for another 1/2 hour and then the car is started, defroster turned on and its performance measured in 5 minute intervals. Certain critical areas of the windshield need to be clear during set intervals.

fmvss 103 (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDUQFjADahUKEwiNocLml8nHAhUKVh4KHSicABA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhtsa.gov%2FDOT%2FNHTSA%2FVeh icle%2520Safety%2FTest%2520Procedures%2FAssociated %2520Files%2FTP-103-13.pdf&ei=E_jeVc3LAoqseai4goAB&usg=AFQjCNG9vmK1mjNPvzAOI8qvvRr2CTb6ZQ&sig2=9BJLbQWjaldO8d70zZyySQ)

CoachRick
08-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Interesting...I thought it was a setting that I missed during 'set up'...DW has been driving the car 90% of the time, so I haven't actually tried to change it. Am I reading that we have no option to override this setting? I don't want to break anything ;) , but I like to hear the engine and other sounds on startup, not a blower OR a loud radio(ahem...DW...ahem).

SweetSandMan
08-28-2015, 11:41 PM
Your option would be to set it to come out of anywhere but the defroster...then it will stay at whatever fan level you left it at.

CoachRick
08-29-2015, 04:56 PM
Your option would be to set it to come out of anywhere but the defroster...then it will stay at whatever fan level you left it at.-
That doesn't appear to be correct on our '15L Lounge...no matter the setting, the fan comes on blasting upon start
up. Finally got to drive it today and tinker...fan comes on blasting, no matter what. Not the worst thing in the world, just a bit quirky.

Green Tortoise
08-30-2015, 09:58 AM
Yeah, it doesn't matter what the setting is - Auto, Manual, Defrost, No Defrost...it always comes on full blast. As CoachRick said, "Not the worst thing in the world...", but next time I'm at the dealer, I'll ask them for a fix.

tcnole
09-11-2015, 11:08 AM
This has annoyed me as well. I found that it happens if you leave the a/c set to the "LO" temp. If you instead change it to the lowest actually number temp of 60, the fan will stay where you left it when you restart the car.

islander
09-11-2015, 01:01 PM
This has annoyed me as well. I found that it happens if you leave the a/c set to the "LO" temp. If you instead change it to the lowest actually number temp of 60, the fan will stay where you left it when you restart the car.

This is precisely my experience with my 2014 Trekking. If my temp is set to LO (whether AC is on or not) at startup the fan goes to max. With the temp at the next highest setting (16 C) or higher that doesn't happen. This is with Climate Control System set to SYNC. I'm assuming this is a 'feature' rather than a 'bug'.

CoachRick
09-11-2015, 02:51 PM
I shall try that on our L Lounge...report to follow!

CoachRick
09-11-2015, 06:06 PM
So, I reckon the AC elves think the LO setting means LO ASAP and decided to blast the fan on high upon startup. Thing is, the fan blasts on high(actually ramps up to HIGH) even when the A/C is OFF! Odd. So, yes, dialing the temp(s) up one click means the fan will stay at the same setting as when you shut the vehicle off. Quirky!

On another note, an Italian woman is going to win the US OPEN Tennis Championships !!! FIAT should pounce!!!

Joe's 500L
11-03-2016, 01:23 AM
If you have it set to the lowest setting (Low), or the highest setting (High), it will always turn the fan on the highest setting speed......even in manual mode, to make it do differently, simply tune the setting from the lowest or highest setting, once notch up/or down, and it will not do this anymore. Hope this helps! :)

CoachRick
11-03-2016, 09:56 AM
If you have it set to the lowest setting (Low), or the highest setting (High), it will always turn the fan on the highest setting speed......even in manual mode, to make it do differently, simply tune the setting from the lowest or highest setting, once notch up/or down, and it will not do this anymore. Hope this helps! :)

Welcome and thanks for the confirmation. I'm sure it still confounds new owners; but we have enjoyed a year of 'normal' blower speed since we first discussed the 'oddity'. :)