PDA

View Full Version : Windshield

jlasinski
08-17-2015, 02:42 PM
Well my windshield has to be replaced for the second time in one year due to rock chips that cracked across the windshield on both sides. Last time the showed up with the wrong windshield but came back with the right factory version. Called the same company and once again they showed up with the wrong windshield. Only problem this time is that the factory windshield is on national back order and could take up to 6 months. What the heck. now I have to drive around looking through a cracked windshield which is getting more and more difficult to do for some unknown time till they come in. Why is it so hard for Fiat to get parts in stock? My state inspection is due in February, hope I get one by then.:wtf:

FiatCares
08-17-2015, 03:24 PM
Hi jlasinski,
If you'd like to PM me your VIN and studio info, I can look into this and see if there's anything I can do to expedite the process.

jlasinski
08-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Erica. Sent you a PM. Thanks, John

FiatCares
08-18-2015, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the info! I will look into this!

bryanintowson
08-18-2015, 09:06 AM
When I had to get my first windshield replaced I called the studio and they said straight up that they use Safelite and they could call for me or I could call them directly.

I got a genuine OEM FIAT windshield to replace mine and I was offered the option of generic if I wanted it.

jlasinski
08-18-2015, 09:50 AM
I used Safelite for mine also and after they brought out a generic that wouldn't work they installed an OEM. This time they once again showed up with the wrong windshield but the OEM windshields are on national backorder. As far as I know there is not a generic version that works for the 500L

bryanintowson
08-19-2015, 09:09 AM
*squints at screen*

I see now that you are in a 500L..... that might explain why they're on backorder.

jlasinski
08-31-2015, 01:22 PM
Waiting for an update on this. Windshield is getting to be a safety hazard. Need to get one soon. Fiat Cares, any update on estimated delivery?

driving_impaired
09-07-2015, 10:25 PM
I am in this boat as well with my Abarth. Backordered and the people I spoke to (3rd party thru insurance) don't even have a timeframe. I think that is a little ridiculous, not to mention a bit of a safety issue considering this crack is about 6" before completely making it across my windshield.

Is it true these Fiat windshields are more prone to cracks than others? I had my BMW for 3 years and never had a crack, I had the Abarth for only 6 weeks and got one!

Tweak
09-07-2015, 11:01 PM
I am in this boat as well with my Abarth. Backordered and the people I spoke to (3rd party thru insurance) don't even have a timeframe. I think that is a little ridiculous, not to mention a bit of a safety issue considering this crack is about 6" before completely making it across my windshield.

Is it true these Fiat windshields are more prone to cracks than others? I had my BMW for 3 years and never had a crack, I had the Abarth for only 6 weeks and got one!

Many have stated the glass is thin/weak. I have 2 chips in mine in 3 yrs and they've both been fixed with no further problems.

jlasinski
09-16-2015, 01:30 PM
After waiting for over a month, I now have a new windshield! Finally can see again.

aelfwyne
09-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Many have stated the glass is thin/weak. I have 2 chips in mine in 3 yrs and they've both been fixed with no further problems.

I wonder about how much variance in production quality enters into this. My Sport seemed to get chips and bullseyes anytime I drove. By 15,000 miles I had 3 minor chips, 2 starbursts, and then one grapefruit sized smash from road debris. Insurance replaced the windshield with a dealer-sourced official windshield, and the remaining 15,000 miles before I traded it, I didn't get a single blemish on the windshield. My Abarth now has 5600 miles on it (drove it a lot the first month), and not a blemish. I wonder if some production runs have produced glass that is more brittle and prone to chipping/cracking than others?

After waiting for over a month, I now have a new windshield! Finally can see again.

Excellent.

driving_impaired
09-17-2015, 08:21 AM

Lucky you! I'm still waiting to hear something about mine. This is a little ridiculous. Especially having to pay a $500 deductible. They should drop it $100 for every week they can't provide a replacement!

smark
09-17-2015, 11:57 AM
Give Safelite a call. No reason to wait for a over priced OEM windshield.

If you're getting a lot of chips on your windshield you're tailgating cars to close.

My 500 is 4 years old I don't have a chip on the windshield driven on the highway every day. I don't tailgate other cars

BlueCorn
09-17-2015, 12:31 PM
If you're getting a lot of chips on your windshield you're tailgating cars to close.

That's a generalization based on your experience. The last two out of three windshield stars were from trucks that weren't even in my lane. The other was from a truck that pulled in front of me causing me to slam on the brakes to keep from slamming into the back of him. I go out of my way to avoid rocks. If I see someone drift across the yellow I change lanes to get out from behind them. Doesn't matter. Really depends on where you drive, more than how you drive based on my own generalization. :D

jlasinski
09-17-2015, 02:06 PM
The only windshield available for the 500L is an OEM. Nobody else makes one. I got mine thru Safelite and they had to get it from the dealer. Good Luck. John

aelfwyne
09-17-2015, 07:33 PM
Give Safelite a call. No reason to wait for a over priced OEM windshield.

My 500 is 4 years old I don't have a chip on the windshield driven on the highway every day. I don't tailgate other cars

Borderline offensive to continue accusing people of bad driving, if you ask me.

I don't tailgate or follow too closely. I have dashcam video from the worst damage to my windshield last year (rock that made a grapefruit sized smash) and I was on a feeder lane with ZERO vehicles in front of me for the next 1/2 mile. Rock came off the freeway to my left while I was on the feeder lane, dozens of feet away. Another chip came from traffic going the opposite direction on the freeway. And yet another during my string of bad luck last year was just like BlueCorn had happen, some azzwype in a big pickup passed me in a fit of rage that I was "only" going 10 over, and changed lanes directly in front of me, throwing up a shower of gravel.

It's a matter of luck, really. I have been driving for over 20 years. Except for the string last year in my Sport, I NEVER had a chip large enough to even notice on the windshield of a car. When I got my Sport, I was even careful to avoid other traffic knowing that the paint was thin and chips easily, and still managed to pick up five rocks in as many months. It is a string of bad luck, period. It can happen to anyone, including you.

That's a generalization based on your experience. The last two out of three windshield stars were from trucks that weren't even in my lane. The other was from a truck that pulled in front of me causing me to slam on the brakes to keep from slamming into the back of him. I go out of my way to avoid rocks. If I see someone drift across the yellow I change lanes to get out from behind them. Doesn't matter. Really depends on where you drive, more than how you drive based on my own generalization. :D

Same as you BlueCorn. Bad luck. I despise "pack travelling" and will slow down or speed up as necessary to avoid it. My father taught me to drive and that was one of the things he drilled into me - accidents happen when traffic is bunched up into a pack. People are too close together, bad things happen. I have made avoiding travelling too close to others an essential part of my driving for many years. So I have never had an issue with road debris - always able to see it in time to move - since i don't tailgate. But as you observe, it's where you drive. Several areas I drive are near industrial lots that are lined with crushed limestone that gets tracked on to the freeway. So unless you have 2 miles between you and the nearest car in any direction, you are risking getting hit. I've actually gotten chips from windblown debris before.

Oh, and avoiding travelling in packs makes it easier to see cops ahead as well since other cars aren't blocking your view :)

BlueCorn
09-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Oh yeah, I'm firmly in the "get out of this ****...." Kinda of driver. Today I slowed way down and just settled into the right lane just to avoid the arsehattery going on. Don't worry too much about tickets. I drive pretty aggressively, as necessary, but it gets my full attention. Last ticket was 1986. Now, I do IT security and infrastructure for "the man." Unless I was doing something pretty stupid I think I'll be okay. My drive does, however, go past two gravel yards, a gypsum company and a few others. The only way to avoid rocks is to take the train.