PDA

View Full Version : Key fob battery replacement

vsigma
08-15-2015, 11:54 AM
On my 2014 500L.. The key fob was dying figured I'd call the dealership since I've had the car for less than six months. The service folks said sure, just stop at parts and they can give you a new battery and you're done.

Parts says that ALL fiat's need to have the key completely replaced,there is no other option until fiat comes out with a fix... Wtf?!? I can clearly see the screw for the battery compartment inside the flip key slot! The parts manager even called service to correct their lack of knowledge about said keys..

This is crazy right?! I should just be able to switch the battery and be done with it,no?

BlueCorn
08-15-2015, 02:49 PM
Go to walgreens and buy a new battery.

Thunderbolt
08-15-2015, 03:45 PM
No, it's true. And when you car runs out of gas, you have to buy a new car.

Fabio13
08-15-2015, 11:42 PM
No, it's true. And when you car runs out of gas, you have to buy a new car.

Ha ha! Good one! But you get four free gas tanks right? Like the oil changes, then buy new car?

islander
08-16-2015, 11:44 AM
OK, in case you haven't figured it out yet, the battery is located in a tiny compartment behind the key. You'll see a screw with an arrow on it pointing to a closed lock. Just turn it to the open lock and the key compartment will pop out or can be pulled out. The battery is a standard button type easily replaced by you.

Fiat500USA
08-16-2015, 12:57 PM
The owners manual has a write-up on how to change the battery. I think it is on page 21/22. It is a CR2032 3V Lithium button battery.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E53c6SAg3I8/VdDAXZkSUpI/AAAAAAAAl5E/vAUhszw7FdE/s400-Ic42/Fiat_500L_Key_Fob.jpg

To replace the battery, proceed as follows:
• press button A to open the metal insert B;
• turn the screw C to Unlock using a small screwdriver;
• take out the battery case D and replace the battery E
making sure that polarities are correct;
• refit the battery case D inside the key and lock it
turning the screw C to Lock.

Fabio13
08-16-2015, 01:13 PM
The owners manual has a write-up on how to change the battery. I think it is on page 21/22.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E53c6SAg3I8/VdDAXZkSUpI/AAAAAAAAl5E/vAUhszw7FdE/s400-Ic42/Fiat_500L_Key_Fob.jpg

To replace the battery, proceed as follows:
• press button A to open the metal insert B;
• turn the screw C to Unlock using a small screwdriver;
• take out the battery case D and replace the battery E
making sure that polarities are correct;
• refit the battery case D inside the key and lock it
turning the screw C to Lock.

Voila!

vsigma
08-17-2015, 12:38 AM
My issue is with the parts/dealer giving people mis-information and trying to make a quick buck in the process! This is what gets dealers a bad name through *&&^%$##@ "service" like this!!!!

yeah - i just unscrewed the key myself and changed the battery afterwards.. just more annoyed about the parts manager telling me a lie than anything else!!

JimmyTestarossa
08-17-2015, 09:22 AM
If your key is lost or damaged and you need to buy a new one it would *probably* need to be programmed to work with the car but a dead battery in the key is remove/replace and motor on.

* Most new cars are like this so I assume our Fiats are the same.

Trystane
10-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Was it just the radio signal distance that was getting worse or were you not able to turn over the engine with the key? I had two keys in a span of eight months die on me. Car said the key wasn't paired and wouldn't turn over the engine. I had to get it replaced twice before the issue went away.