PDA

View Full Version : 500T Vs Abarth

WalkinTalkinStephenHawkin
08-07-2015, 12:11 AM
As I started my search for a 2013-2015 Abarth, I noticed I was making a big mistake. The 2013 500T was the better buy in my opinion... I Finally pulled the trigger a month ago on a beautiful 2013 fiat 500T copper color with only 12500 miles. cost of this baby was only 11,000 which was 4 grand less than the Abarth in my area. I just don't get why you would buy the Abarth for that price. The cost of a handheld ecu-($800 with dyno better than stock Abarth) Performance exhaust-($300-1000) Custom CAI-($500 Painted to match) suspension kit-($1200) Stock weight -( 500T 65Lbs less) I believe that is less than $4000 in parts and will beat any stock Abarth on the road.

custom sticker I made for my 500T is of a squished scorpion and after says Abarth Killer.

gfurneri
08-07-2015, 01:53 AM
good thing our cars are never stock...

bainbridgeny
08-07-2015, 08:49 AM
custom sticker I made for my 500T is of a squished scorpion and after says Abarth Killer.

Makes no sense ^^^

Why in the world would you want to 'kill' a car in the same family!??? I love 500T's. I've seen some really fast ones and I respect the time people put into them but things like this just seem petty. Enjoy your car. Have fun, mod it. Strive to get numbers past the top end 500 (completely doable as you stated) but don't start beef with fellow FIAT fam. That's just silly and won't get a lot of my scorpion brothers on your side.

BigDaddySRT
08-07-2015, 08:59 AM
As I started my search for a 2013-2015 Abarth, I noticed I was making a big mistake. The 2013 500T was the better buy in my opinion... I Finally pulled the trigger a month ago on a beautiful 2013 fiat 500T copper color with only 12500 miles. cost of this baby was only 11,000 which was 4 grand less than the Abarth in my area. I just don't get why you would buy the Abarth for that price. The cost of a handheld ecu-($800 with dyno better than stock Abarth) Performance exhaust-($300-1000) Custom CAI-($500 Painted to match) suspension kit-($1200) Stock weight -( 500T 65Lbs less) I believe that is less than $4000 in parts and will beat any stock Abarth on the road.

Your theory makes complete sense... Race a modified car versus a Stock Car.

But if you believe that the ABARTH isn't worth the additional cost, and it's simply swapping a couple of parts... You are truly mistaken.

Apply the exact same mods to an ABARTH and a T... The ABARTH is going to "squish" the poor little T.
Engineering made sure the ABARTH was worth it.

08-07-2015, 09:17 AM
Makes no sense ^^^

Why in the would would you want to 'kill' a car in the same family!??? I love 500T's. I've seen some really fast ones and I respect the time people put into them but things like this just seem petty. Enjoy your car. Have fun, mod it. Strive to get numbers past the top end 500 (completely doable as you stated) but don't start beef with fellow FIAT fam. That's just silly and won't get a lot of my scorpion brothers on your side.

Its not like I have put it on my car yet but I thought it would be a funny sticker/decal to make up. could be something for my next project the cooper S. I just would love to see more people buy 500T's. I personally don't like the flash of Abarths. Single exhaust, no decals, Plain 500 signs , ect. Now if a Abarth owner has no decals or stripes that give them 5 extra hp :p then I would be down to drive with them. If not ill just fly by in my stock looking 500. More like a sibling battle to me

bainbridgeny
08-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Its not like I have put it on my car yet but I thought it would be a funny sticker/decal to make up. could be something for my next project the cooper S. I just would love to see more people buy 500T's. I personally don't like the flash of Abarths. Single exhaust, no decals, Plain 500 signs , ect. Now if a Abarth owner has no decals or stripes that give them 5 extra hp :p then I would be down to drive with them. If not ill just fly by in my stock looking 500. More like a sibling battle to me

I do like 500T color choices more but like BigDaddySRT mentioned, if you saw my 10 hp stickers and tried to fly by me you'd just be looking at that beautiful rear Abarth badge as it got smaller and smaller :p

08-07-2015, 09:49 AM

But if you believe that the ABARTH isn't worth the additional cost, and it's simply swapping a couple of parts... You are truly mistaken.

Apply the exact same mods to an ABARTH and a T... The ABARTH is going to "squish" the poor little T.

It's the same car but tuned down and 4 grand less than the Abarth in the current market. If I spend 4 grand on my car which I already did it is due to be faster than the abarth for the SAME MONEY. Now if you decide to throw in upgrades into your Abarth ill already have the same upgrades for less and the 500T owner will be much further along in the modding process. Race exhaust, CAI, Handheld tuner, Suspension Kit and BOV would make the cost of the 500T match the Abarth but you are right about the colors.

Trunkout
08-07-2015, 10:07 AM
I'm gonna buy a POP and put a turbo on it.....

Fiat500USA
08-07-2015, 11:01 AM
It is and it isn't the same. Think of the 500T as a Sport with more power. As everyone knows it uses the same engine and trans as the Abarth, but with the suspension of the Sport. Obviously, everything could be changed over to Abarth specs, but the cars do have quite a few unique differences that would need to be addressed.

Besides the engine calibrations and the trim changes, here are some other differences between the 500 Abarth and the 500T:

40 percent stiffer spring rate and 0.6- inch (15 mm) lower ride height.
Abarth-designed cast iron front-lower control arms for improved lateral stiffness.*
Increased negative camber to -1.5 degrees.
Dual-valve Frequency Selective Damping (FSD) KONI front Struts.
40 percent more torsionally rigid rear axle with strengthened coil-spring supports.
A 0.87-inch (22 mm) Abarth-specific solid rear-stabilizer bar.
20 percent stiffer rear springs with 0.6-inch (15 mm) lower ride.
Abarth features a 15.1:1 (up from 16.3:1) steering-gear ratio for 10 percent quicker steering.
Uniquely tuned electronic power steering (EPS) calibration for increased steering response and feedback.
Abarth-tuned ESC system features a three-mode calibration to maximize handling capabilities on and off the track. When ESC is selected from “On” to “Partial Off” or “Full Off” on the instrument panel, the 500 Abarth’s Torque Transfer Control (TTC) system maximizes throttle performance during on-throttle cornering.

*The 500T may also have the cast iron arms. Have to check.

gfurneri
08-07-2015, 03:00 PM
It's the same car but tuned down and 4 grand less than the Abarth in the current market. If I spend 4 grand on my car which I already did it is due to be faster than the abarth for the SAME MONEY. Now if you decide to throw in upgrades into your Abarth ill already have the same upgrades for less and the 500T owner will be much further along in the modding process. Race exhaust, CAI, Handheld tuner, Suspension Kit and BOV would make the cost of the 500T match the Abarth but you are right about the colors.

Hmmm your Car cost 11k I got mine for 13k out the door with a 100k warranty... Then I spent 2k on Mods (second hand for most I'll admit). Brings me to 15k total. As you stated your thinking about 4k in mods assuming you buy new... looks like we spent the same amount of money on our cars. As others said though were all same team... It's the Fiesta st and the Mini s that I dislike and the Prius....

bobbinator
08-07-2015, 03:59 PM
I am willing to spend 4k to be me not to be wanna be.

08-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Hmmm your Car cost 11k I got mine for 13k out the door with a 100k warranty... Then I spent 2k on Mods (second hand for most I'll admit). Brings me to 15k total. As you stated your thinking about 4k in mods assuming you buy new... looks like we spent the same amount of money on our cars. As others said though were all same team... It's the Fiesta st and the Mini s that I dislike and the Prius....

I got lucky with my 2013 500T for 11000. They range from 11000-12500.... You bought a Abarth for 13000? and how many miles is on it???

08-07-2015, 05:59 PM

Wanna be???? Pretty sure anyone that buys an Abarth is a wanna be lol. Takes a real tuner to take the down version and mod it... Pretty easy when fiat gives 3 grand worth of parts to start with and they aren't even high performance parts lol... I rather just buy the suspension kit, tune, and wheels that I wanted and not made by fiat.. Always thought fiat stood for Found in a Trash but after owning one I love it :)

gfurneri
08-07-2015, 06:03 PM
I got lucky with my 2013 500T for 11000. They range from 11000-12500.... You bought a Abarth for 13000? and how many miles is on it???

I got it last year in November with just over 30k on the clock. Has everything you need just no sunroof or stripes which is what I wanted, because I wanted to mod the heck out of it. Those turbo head and tail lights though if you ever want to trade...

tknospdr
08-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Can't we all just get along?? ;)

peerless1
08-07-2015, 06:23 PM
you guys are funny everyone knows the 500L is where its at. turbo and 4 doors. ultra sleeper status lmao

08-07-2015, 06:31 PM

Hit that one right on the nail..but 13000 for a Abarth is a good deal. That warranty will be nice though with 30000 mileage... What are you at now?? Call some studios and see which ones will work on it with engine mods. Ill be taking mine 20 miles farther than the studio down the road just because of the people working there.

gfurneri
08-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Hit that one right on the nail..but 13000 for a Abarth is a good deal. That warranty will be nice though with 30000 mileage... What are you at now?? Call some studios and see which ones will work on it with engine mods. Ill be taking mine 20 miles farther than the studio down the road just because of the people working there.

I have a 100k warranty, and Fremont CA Fiat does not really care if you have mods. I do most of the work my self with a lot of help from guys in this forum. I just hit 56k I have a hell of a commute and its my daily. You will like it here lots of info and lots of good people. When I grenade the engine ill let fiat handle that one... Post some pics of your ride would love to see it. The turbo is a good car.

gfurneri
08-07-2015, 07:31 PM
you guys are funny everyone knows the 500L is where its at. turbo and 4 doors. ultra sleeper status lmao

hey man that 500L is a great car with lots of room.. There is a guy that ran straight pipes on his 500l and it sounds 100% like an Abarth.

opiateESP
08-07-2015, 07:37 PM
It is and it isn't the same. Think of the 500T as a Sport with more power. As everyone knows it uses the same engine and trans as the Abarth, but with the suspension of the Sport. Obviously, everything could be changed over to Abarth specs, but the cars do have quite a few unique differences that would need to be addressed.

Besides the engine calibrations and the trim changes, here are some other differences between the 500 Abarth and the 500T:

40 percent stiffer spring rate and 0.6- inch (15 mm) lower ride height.
Abarth-designed cast iron front-lower control arms for improved lateral stiffness.*
Increased negative camber to -1.5 degrees.
Dual-valve Frequency Selective Damping (FSD) KONI front Struts.
40 percent more torsionally rigid rear axle with strengthened coil-spring supports.
20 percent stiffer rear springs with 0.6-inch (15 mm) lower ride.
Abarth features a 15.1:1 (up from 16.3:1) steering-gear ratio for 10 percent quicker steering.
Uniquely tuned electronic power steering (EPS) calibration for increased steering response and feedback.
Abarth-tuned ESC system features a three-mode calibration to maximize handling capabilities on and off the track. When ESC is selected from “On” to “Partial Off” or “Full Off” on the instrument panel, the 500 Abarth’s Torque Transfer Control (TTC) system maximizes throttle performance during on-throttle cornering.

*The 500T may also have the cast iron arms. Have to check.

The 500T has the control arms. The Abarth struts are super easy to attain. I got mine for free from a friend. Really, I think the parts that differentiate the cars is this list:

You can use the axel from the Abarth if you're adventurous I reckon. The part is around $300-400. You could PERHAPS change the steering ratio as well. The key pieces of an Abarth you won't get are:

Abarth features a 15.1:1 (up from 16.3:1) steering-gear ratio for 10 percent quicker steering. (This stays in because I'm not sure)

The 500T is in some ways more of a tuner car than the Abarth. The changes you make to the car are more dramatic because the bar starts lower. But no matter what it's not an Abarth. Once modded, it can be very good on a track as well, but stock for stock...

I just think of modded 500's like this:

Primarily into straight line drags? A 500T is a great option
Primarily a corner carver? Just buy an Abarth

BigDaddySRT
08-07-2015, 08:55 PM

Handheld Tuner = you made me laugh!!! Big time!!!

I didn't mention colors... The BCM alone stops the little ol' T from becoming an ABARTH.

Sounds like you should have bought a Pop and added a Turbo... Then you'd be able to be a Scorpion.

(Can you sense the sarcasm?)

Purgatory
08-07-2015, 10:50 PM
A 500T will never be an Abarth. Aside from the differences talked about, there are all kinds of visual things that make an Abarth and Abarth, outside trim, inside fittings. It all adds up to the mystique of a real Abarth.

I have nothing against the 500T. Sure, you can take one, and build it up to whatever level of performance and handling your time and budget will allow. But it still won't be an Abarth. Not a right or wrong issue, its a question of preference.

On the 500L, I take pride every time I drive the wife's new 500L. She doesn't know or care that its the same engine basically that's in my Abarth (before I modded my engine), and when I drive it, even though the sound is so subdue by mufflers, its still the same turbo underneath, and I've been slowly pushing the L more on the road, trying to find the sweet spots on boost, even though it has the new 6-speed fully automatic transmission in it. As I have mentioned before, having an Abarth and the L, is like the best of both worlds. Space and creature comforts in the L, and all the noise, speed, and drama I could ask for in my Abarth. Mine I love new Fiat's.

If I had the money to burn, I would probably buy an AWD 500X Lounge, just for the hell of it. But don't think we really need a third car for the two of us.

08-08-2015, 09:44 AM
Handheld Tuner = you made me laugh!!! Big time!!!

I didn't mention colors... The BCM alone stops the little ol' T from becoming an ABARTH.

Sounds like you should have bought a Pop and added a Turbo... Then you'd be able to be a Scorpion.

(Can you sense the sarcasm?)

Those little boxes that plug into your harness are called piggy back tunes. Not one comes close to the Tork file (4 downloaded tunes, launch control,and more) Pretty sure you don't get launch control with those crappy little tunes ...... especially if its put on dyno and worked out. the funny thing is you bought the car for the suspension kit exhaust and handling but half of you already bought new products. You mad bro??? that you overpaid for the same car

08-08-2015, 10:01 AM
2013 Fiat 500 turbo 12500 miles copperhead..18841

Trunkout
08-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Here we go...

tknospdr
08-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Here's mine. Love how low it sits.

08-08-2015, 06:18 PM

That looks rad with it lowered and personally the only car I like this color on. What are you currently pushing in the 500T?? and you should of kept the 500 badges :(

Tiny Turbo
08-08-2015, 06:56 PM
The Abarth will always be more iconic, it has a history. When you go to order an Abarth it is not sold as a model option under Fiat 500, it is under a whole different category labeled Abarth. When people look at your 500t they are most likely trying to spot an Abarth badge. Same example would be the Charger/Challenger Hellcat, people always look for that tiny little Hellcat logo on the fender... then they get excited. You buy the car because of what it is. Don't mean it in an offensive way just personal experience, not talking down the 500t.

^That orange 500t looks sweet, wish the Abarth was offered with more than 4 color options. (see, one reason to go 500t... I'm not completely biased, LOL.)

Fiat500USA
08-08-2015, 09:34 PM

Thanks! Good words to live by. We're all in the same family so why put each other down? We're lucky. There is a car for everybody in the 500 lineup. Each has its own place and owners that love and appreciate them. It is a lot more fun when we respect and celebrate them.

Also, the piggy back tunes have been serving the Fiat community for years and the ones marketed by the vendors here are a legitimate way to boost your performance. Nothing crappy about them. Definitely check out the Abarth performance section to brush up on years worth of awesome results. The new tunes are the next generation and look incredible. Have fun modding your T and keep us up to date with a Build or Owners thread!

gfurneri
08-08-2015, 11:02 PM
Those cars look great. Some great colors. Keep us updated with the mods. I like to see what people do to their cars.

msjulie33
08-09-2015, 10:53 AM

Nice color, that and the Verde Azzurro would be nice Abarth optional colors... but I still need the open top :)

azneiman
08-09-2015, 03:33 PM
800 with dyno better than stock Abarth)

If EC doesn't make an ECU for a 2015 Turbo, what do u suggest instead?

peerless1
08-12-2015, 07:34 AM
hey man that 500L is a great car with lots of room.. There is a guy that ran straight pipes on his 500l and it sounds 100% like an Abarth.

thats probably me i posted a vid and everything. i love the sound of it!! :thumbsup:

Coldsnap
08-16-2015, 09:54 AM
While the Abarth is cool, I decided to go with the 500T. I found the Turbo model to me more comfortable around town and enjoy the stock seats more (they remind me of old school jeep seats, awesome).

I wanted to put some quiet dual exhaust on my 500T. I thought the Abarth exhaust was too loud for me. Anyone have recommendations for a dual exhaust setup that will be relatively quiet and have zero cabin drone? Cabin drone is a big thing for me, would annoy the heck out of me and I was surprised Abarths had zero (they did a good job on that).

Tiny Turbo
08-16-2015, 10:44 AM
While the Abarth is cool, I decided to go with the 500T. I found the Turbo model to me more comfortable around town and enjoy the stock seats more (they remind me of old school jeep seats, awesome).

I wanted to put some quiet dual exhaust on my 500T. I thought the Abarth exhaust was too loud for me. Anyone have recommendations for a dual exhaust setup that will be relatively quiet and have zero cabin drone? Cabin drone is a big thing for me, would annoy the heck out of me and I was surprised Abarths had zero (they did a good job on that).

You could modify the stock exhaust to get the sound you wanted minus the dual tips. I believe there is a resonator mid way through the stock exhaust system and a muffler at the end. Just cut the resonator out. Bam! exactly the sound that you're looking for and still quieter than the Abarth because you keep the muffler.

Welcome to the fourm!

opiateESP
08-16-2015, 12:14 PM
The stock 500T exhaust has no resonator. If you delete the muffler, it will sound just like an Abarth. If you want to keep the volume level of the 500T but dual pipes of an Abarth, look at the Abarth axle backs that come with mufflers. I think Neu-F makes one.

Shawnb
08-16-2015, 12:34 PM
What about the 2012 abarth suitcase style muffler if you just want the look? Those always sell cheap

Coldsnap
08-16-2015, 04:10 PM
What about the 2012 abarth suitcase style muffler if you just want the look? Those always sell cheap

What is this? Yea looks > noise for me. I'd definitely keep the muffler. So I'll look at pipes which come with mufflers.

One question though. Do you need a new rear fascia to fit the extra pipe? My Turbo is on a trailer to me, so can't walk outside and check.

opiateESP
08-16-2015, 07:11 PM
What is this? Yea looks > noise for me. I'd definitely keep the muffler. So I'll look at pipes which come with mufflers.

One question though. Do you need a new rear fascia to fit the extra pipe? My Turbo is on a trailer to me, so can't walk outside and check.

Yeah you will. It's not simply another cutout. The Abarth left pipe is more to the left and up higher than the 500T single out. The diffuser isn't terribly expensive.

Coldsnap
08-16-2015, 09:10 PM
Yeah you will. It's not simply another cutout. The Abarth left pipe is more to the left and up higher than the 500T single out. The diffuser isn't terribly expensive.

Cool. Think I found it - Part no: 68104412-AA - Fascia Rear - Abarth - $107.00 Dealer List.

SeaDawg
08-16-2015, 10:16 PM
Doesn't the GQ exhaust have muffler(s) to quiet things down?

Coldsnap
08-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Interesting. I think they do. I hope there's no cabin drone with the Neuspeeds w/muffler.

dan macdonald
08-23-2015, 10:04 PM

"Primarily into straight line drags? A 500T is a great option
Primarily a corner carver? Just buy an Abarth[/QUOTE]

I would say that hits it on the head for me. Excepting the seats. Abarth seats are much better than T seats. Looking for a used Abarth now, though I prefer a quieter exhaust.

Tweak
08-23-2015, 10:33 PM

"Primarily into straight line drags? A 500T is a great option
Primarily a corner carver? Just buy an Abarth

I would say that hits it on the head for me. Excepting the seats. Abarth seats are much better than T seats. Looking for a used Abarth now, though I prefer a quieter exhaust.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum.

Quieter exhaust and less money...find yourself a GQ...it's an Abarth but slightly different looks and less noise. ;)

dan macdonald
08-27-2015, 09:16 PM
Thanks Tweak. Could not find a used Abarth I could afford; very popular and very few around right now. Just bought a Turbo for pickup this weekend - finally getting a FIAT...

Wondering what the best first mods are; not trying to make it an Abarth or anything. Just little more power and handling. Any suggestions for about $1000? Thinking maybe GoPedal and some suspension stuff.

Purgatory
08-27-2015, 11:04 PM
Thanks Tweak. Could not find a used Abarth I could afford; very popular and very few around right now. Just bought a Turbo for pickup this weekend - finally getting a FIAT...

Wondering what the best first mods are; not trying to make it an Abarth or anything. Just little more power and handling. Any suggestions for about $1000? Thinking maybe GoPedal and some suspension stuff.

With that budget, I would go for a good Cold Air Intake, a GFB Diverter Valve, and a bigger rear torsion bar. You could do all that new for 500-600 with ease, less if you buy used from members here. Be a good start for you. Good luck with the T

Trunkout
08-27-2015, 11:13 PM

I'm extremely happy with the performance boost I did for about 300 dollars:
used go pedal, K&N 4890, and a Madness short shift adaptor.
sounds, runs, and shifts like I wanted.

dan macdonald
08-28-2015, 07:29 AM
I'm extremely happy with the performance boost I did for about 300 dollars:
used go pedal, K&N 4890, and a Madness short shift adaptor.
sounds, runs, and shifts like I wanted.

Thanks Purgatory and Trunkout.
On the market for a used GoPedal and trying to figure out the best Torsion bar.

Turnout, why the short shift adaptor instead of the actual short shifter? Curious, as I have been trying to read up on both options.

Purgatory, as a newbie I am completely unfamiliar with a diverter valve. Never heard it mentioned as an introductory mod; intrigued as to why you mentioned it, perhaps you could comment?

Coldsnap
08-28-2015, 08:51 AM

Hi Dan. Grats on the Turbo, what color? I just picked my silver one up last week. I really enjoy the comfort of the 500T model. I have some mods planned out for it, as I'm trying to make it a sleeper 500. End goal would be to make it as fast as a stock Abarth, while keeping it quiet and keeping the dinky 500 wheels. Was thinking intake (quiet one), maddness ecu, go pedal, and dual exhaust (muffled). The go pedal seems cool, as I can put it into ECO gas saving mode while on my way to work and then open it up on the way back home when the roads are empty. I wonder though, does the go pedal actually help 0-60?

Trunkout
08-28-2015, 10:31 AM
The difference between 100 and 400 dollars is why I didn't buy a whole shift kit!

opiateESP
08-28-2015, 07:24 PM
Hi Dan. Grats on the Turbo, what color? I just picked my silver one up last week. I really enjoy the comfort of the 500T model. I have some mods planned out for it, as I'm trying to make it a sleeper 500. End goal would be to make it as fast as a stock Abarth, while keeping it quiet and keeping the dinky 500 wheels. Was thinking intake (quiet one), maddness ecu, go pedal, and dual exhaust (muffled). The go pedal seems cool, as I can put it into ECO gas saving mode while on my way to work and then open it up on the way back home when the roads are empty. I wonder though, does the go pedal actually help 0-60?

If all you want is Abarth power, any piggyback will do. The real tunes don't discriminate though. In terms of just power numbers:

500T + Tune A = Abarth + Tune A

while

500T + PiggyBack A != Abarth + PiggyBack A

With a tune, the lower curb weight of the 500T means technically... you'll be faster :)

Coldsnap
08-28-2015, 08:56 PM
If all you want is Abarth power, any piggyback will do. The real tunes don't discriminate though. In terms of just power numbers:

500T + Tune A = Abarth + Tune A

while

500T + PiggyBack A != Abarth + PiggyBack A

With a tune, the lower curb weight of the 500T means technically... you'll be faster :)

Gotcha. Humor me for a second, as I'm a bit dense when it comes to tune.

http://shop.500madness.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=320&product_id=2980 = Real Tune

http://shop.500madness.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=320&product_id=1428 = Piggyback

?

opiateESP
08-28-2015, 09:18 PM
Yup. I'm not to familiar with the Madness tune though.

Rainman
08-29-2015, 01:25 AM
Wait! What? The GQ is an Abarth with different exhaust? Really?

slowbird
08-29-2015, 07:47 PM
Wait! What? The GQ is an Abarth with different exhaust? Really?

...and softer suspension too, IIRC.

dan macdonald
08-29-2015, 09:36 PM
Thank Purgatory; anyone have a recommendation for a good CAI?

gfurneri
08-29-2015, 09:38 PM
Everyone and there mom will tell you the Ec v4 intake... You opened a can of worms buddy good luck.

Purgatory
08-29-2015, 11:06 PM
I will be upfront and biased on the CAI subject. Just one owner, with one opinion, not worth more than anyone else's

I am really into the EC (Eurocompulsion) CAI products. High quality, great build, easy enough to install.

If you are on a budget, or not really trying to build max. HP, I would say their latest version of the V2. Nice and easy install, looks decent, provides great intake sounds, reasonable price.

If you have the extra budget, hands down, I would go for the EC V4. A little harder to install and stuff into place (very tight fit near the windshield side of the engine), but provides great breathing for the car, even with higher HP levels.

But if you use it, you have to remove entire stock intake system, so you either have the naked engine look (where the coils and plugs are located), or you spend even more money and get the EC Engine Plate. Not cheap, but together, they make for a beautiful engine compartment. I have traded more air to the engine, and diminished intake sounds (kind of miss that part), but knowing the car is getting plenty of air is more than a fair trade off.

Don't know their current price, but at the time, the 2 parts together were about 750-800.

You will get a lot of opinions on CAI, and none of them will be wrong. You always need to know what you are trying to get out of your setup and mods, and how you intend to drive the car. I am not into real racing or auto cross, if I were, my car would be set up different. Mine is setup for fast straight line take offs, spirited street challenges, and nice top speed runs. So as well as boosting HP, I stiffened suspension (but not too harsh and definitely not lowered, car already has low ground clearance), and recently boosted my braking abilities. To me, HP increases, suspension, and braking should all evolve evenly to keep the car as safe as possible.

With a ultra short wheelbase, tall body, and stiffer suspension even stock, an Abarth can be a handful. A few good mods can tame the beast and make it more enjoyable.

Good luck in your build and quest.

Coldsnap
08-29-2015, 11:50 PM
I think I'll get the Eurocompulsion V3 as it seems to fit my goal of making a sleeper 500T.

Rainman
08-30-2015, 03:55 AM
...and softer suspension too, IIRC.

So, replacing the GQ suspension with -say- an ST coilover kit overcomes that difference. Is that safe to assume?

NGEN
08-30-2015, 08:52 AM
So, replacing the GQ suspension with -say- an ST coilover kit overcomes that difference. Is that safe to assume?

Gq has everything from the abarth except for seats, steering wheel, badges and misc trim pieces. Springs/suspension are the same as the 500c abarth. Trust me I own two of them. GQ is an amazing bargain, especially one slightly used.

slowbird
08-30-2015, 06:40 PM
Gq has everything from the abarth except for seats, steering wheel, badges and misc trim pieces. Springs/suspension are the same as the 500c abarth. Trust me I own two of them. GQ is an amazing bargain, especially one slightly used.

...the exhaust is different...no?

NGEN
08-30-2015, 08:27 PM
...the exhaust is different...no?

Some came with the straight pipe exhaust (one of ours did) and some come with the early 2012 model scorpion suitcase muffler exhaust. The muffler exhaust has the scorpion and the word abarth all over it. Plus, when you purchase the vehicle, the vin classifies it as an "Abarth"

slowbird
08-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Some came with the straight pipe exhaust (one of ours did) and some come with the early 2012 model scorpion suitcase muffler exhaust. The muffler exhaust has the scorpion and the word abarth all over it. Plus, when you purchase the vehicle, the vin classifies it as an "Abarth"

very interesting. I didn't know that.

Tweak
08-31-2015, 02:53 AM

Plenty of good info since my last post so I'll just say congrats on the acquisition. The rest is a lot of personal opinions and answers and suggestions will always vary greatly.

CoachRick
03-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Dredging up this thread to ask if there was ever a non-Abarth convertible turbo model(specifically 2015 forward). I had a nice long post that was eaten by an "Internal Server Error". Thanks, y'all!

Ducman69
03-14-2017, 09:30 PM
Dredging up this thread to ask if there was ever a non-Abarth convertible turbo model(specifically 2015 forward). I had a nice long post that was eaten by an "Internal Server Error". Thanks, y'all!
Did you see that white one for sale too? I saw it advertised on cars.com and forgot to ask. I was wondering the same thing... it says its a 500C Abarth, but it has Fiat badges front and back. It looks like its a 500T convertible, but I've never heard of such a thing existing!

Regarding the silly "my dad can beat up your dad" talk early in this thread, the Abarth is just an option package, just like SVT, Scat Pack, SRT, etc. If you like the option package that the Abarth has, which is extensive and very nice I must say, buy the Abarth. If you think you're going to replace most of the things the Abarth package comes with, or prefer not to pay for some of the changes made in the Abarth package, go for the Turbo.

Personally, I went with the Turbo as I found one for a good price and:
1) I'm one of the few that actually prefers extra suspension travel and spring compliance, as to me the ride of the sport suspension is already quite firm and the wheelbase is so short and Houston roads SUCK, lol! Now at 50K miles, I may source some Abarth Koni dampers if they work on the slightly taller sport springs.

2) Lowering the car means the Abarth no longer has the tighter turn radius of the Turbo and Pop/Lounge models, at least from what I've read.

I am finally getting a Euro+Tuning tune to bump power, and for $70 had a muffler shop reuse my stock tip and cut off the muffler which should be a little lighter than the dual-out exhaust. I'm wondering if the dual out exhaust improves the sound even more though, since there will be a slight delay of the exhaust pulses since one will exit slightly before the other diverted one. Still sounds great though and should be a tiny tiny bit lighter with a single-out exhaust, and very impressive for a four banger!

Amacento
03-14-2017, 09:39 PM
As I started my search for a 2013-2015 Abarth, I noticed I was making a big mistake. The 2013 500T was the better buy in my opinion... custom sticker I made for my 500T is of a squished scorpion and after says Abarth Killer.
I'm glad you mentioned your opinion.

You can't erase "A World of Performance Since 1949" with a sticker though.

B3NN3TT
03-15-2017, 09:37 AM
I was wondering the same thing... it says its a 500C Abarth, but it has Fiat badges front and back. It looks like its a 500T convertible, but I've never heard of such a thing existing!

I believe the GQ Edition is just an Abarth C without the scorpions. That's most likely what you saw.

CoachRick
03-15-2017, 02:43 PM
I believe the GQ Edition is just an Abarth C without the scorpions. That's most likely what you saw.
But didn't the GQ have softer suspension and quieter exhaust note? Or am I just groggy from looking at so many different models?

Here's what I would like: Turbo C without the stiff loud Abarth "touches" or lowered suspension. Got to remember I come from 4 Volvo C70s dating back to 2004. I'm too old to lose ALL of that comfort in one fell swoop! ;)

ice445
03-18-2017, 12:22 AM
I'm glad you mentioned your opinion.

You can't erase "A World of Performance Since 1949" with a sticker though.This is a necro thread from 2015 haha

Amacento
03-18-2017, 02:41 AM
This is a necro thread from 2015 haha
Yeah... it seems there are a few of them being resurrected lately. That doesn't bode well for current forum activity :cold:

Fiat500USA
03-18-2017, 12:49 PM
Yeah... it seems there are a few of them being resurrected lately. That doesn't bode well for current forum activity :cold:

I'm not so sure on that in this example. The only posts that popped up have timeless subjects: 500T vs Abarth, and the other about "Girly car" . All have good info/discussions that shouldn't be buried. For example, I think it is better to have one big thread with important info on the 500T vs than to have twenty scattered all over. That means to me that people will add to the conversation. There are a lot of new owners that are just discovering Fiat and the cars, so I think it is natural that they'll jump into a conversation that strikes a cord. I know that when I read a new owner post a question it is with very few exceptions, already been asked and answered very well in these older threads. It's tough to start over the same conversations.

On the other point, I am pleased to say forum activity is up a healthy amount over the same period last year. Forum activity ebbs and flows, so I'm not concerned.

opiateESP
04-16-2017, 06:58 PM

Ya know. I've had a chance to test that theory of yours a few times now. You are completely and utterly wrong. It's just a drivers race every time. Lap times, straight line times... anything.

ice445
04-16-2017, 09:16 PM
Ya know. I've had a chance to test that theory of yours a few times now. You are completely and utterly wrong. It's just a drivers race every time. Lap times, straight line times... anything.Both cars are severely traction limited so I can believe it. The Abarth is more planted out of the box though, and it makes fun sounds.

opiateESP
04-16-2017, 09:26 PM
Both cars are severely traction limited so I can believe it. The Abarth is more planted out of the box though, and it makes fun sounds.

Absolutely. The stock Sport suspension sucks in comparison to the Abarth.

pizzamann95
03-31-2018, 11:53 AM
I like it when an old thread pops up from a year ago. To add to the conversation, it really doesn't take much to upgrade the suspension on the 500T to equal that or exceed that of the stock Abarth.

my67falcon
04-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Well, that was an entertaining 8 pages. Reminds me of the SRT forums "banter" about a stock SRT-4 with an aftermarket turbo vs. the SRT-4; pointless and childish.

500-T's are cool little cruisers with much possibilities and owners have a car they can be proud of but hating on the Abarth makes no sense.

fiatlux
04-01-2018, 10:24 AM
Well, that was an entertaining 8 pages. Reminds me of the SRT forums "banter" about a stock SRT-4 with an aftermarket turbo vs. the SRT-4; pointless and childish.

500-T's are cool little cruisers with much possibilities and owners have a car they can be proud of but hating on the Abarth makes no sense.

I see it all the time on the Subaru forums with WRX owners stirring up crap with STI owners. Reminds me of how little ankle biter dogs get all yappy whenever they come across a big dog.

my67falcon
04-01-2018, 10:28 AM
I see it all the time on the Subaru forums with WRX owners stirring up crap with STI owners. Reminds me of how little ankle biter dogs get all yappy whenever they come across a big dog.

Yea, but we all know the STi is a wing and a badge (forget the fact it has a different motor) jestera

pizzamann95
04-02-2018, 02:45 PM
This is getting good.
:popcorn: