PDA

View Full Version : How are stock 16'' Pirellis all-seasons in light snow/slush/ice?

Nuieve
08-04-2015, 04:52 AM
I'm wondering if I will have to buy a separate winter set or if I can get by with stock tires and only use my Subaru for deep snow?

I dont remember the tire name... Centurion P7? Something weird like that. Tirerack ratings are poor but I wonder maybe our car's specifics make it acceptable...

Mr. Francesco
08-04-2015, 10:11 AM
I have the 17" all-seasons, and they're utter garbage in the snow/slush/ice. My Abarth is by far one of the worse cars I've ever driven in those type of weather conditions.

Godspeed.

B3NN3TT
08-04-2015, 10:28 AM
I drove mine with the stock Cinturato P7's several times in pretty heavy snow last winter. No trouble, really, as long as you stay out of boost and don't activate Sport mode. Typical all-season traction; no better or worse than anything else I've driven in snow.

C-ARchitect
08-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Drove my Abarth w/ 16" stock all season Pirellis through a mild blizzard (Northern Virginia standards) early this year without any issues. Did not get stuck even in stop and go traffic.

18816 18817

SeaDawg
08-04-2015, 01:08 PM
I have the 17" all-seasons, and they're utter garbage in the snow/slush/ice. My Abarth is by far one of the worse cars I've ever driven in those type of weather conditions.

Godspeed.

The original 17" Pirelli Nero-Zero tires are NOT all seasons, they are THREE season ONLY. If you're using those in temps below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, then you're taking your life in your hands.

ewflyer
08-04-2015, 04:45 PM
I've been through 2 Spokane Washington winters with my Abarth (16" inch wheels with the Pirellis). Tires work fine.

So far I've found the car itself to be the limiting factor rather than the tires (got "high-centered" once when a snow-plow left a berm across the entrance to my street).

Nuieve
08-04-2015, 09:00 PM
That's reassuring, thanks.

Mr. Francesco
08-05-2015, 11:00 PM
The original 17" Pirelli Nero-Zero tires are NOT all seasons, they are THREE season ONLY. If you're using those in temps below 40 degrees Fahrenheit, then you're taking your life in your hands.

Could have sworn I had all-seasons; thanks for the clarification.

Just double checked the window sticker; I feel ashamed for thinking otherwise.

sprp85
08-06-2015, 09:18 AM
The tire itself is alright and won't give you much trouble for winter.

However, in general use, the tires are utter garbage and wear out so quickly due to alignment settings and issues many have, I am only at 20K miles and they are almost at wearbar. And no, I don't drive a crazy person.

Use em quickly and move on to a better all-season setup.