PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know what this button is for?

FiatDood
07-31-2015, 01:27 PM
Can't find what this button is for in the manual. Looks like some sort of traction control.

It's the one on the left

datasage
07-31-2015, 01:56 PM
Pretty sure it has to do with disabling electronic stability control.

Fiat500USA
07-31-2015, 03:48 PM
We had to download the manual to have it handy on our phone. You can use this link. http://www.fiat500usa.com/2015/05/fiat-500x-usa-owners-manual.html?m=1

Tweak
07-31-2015, 04:43 PM
Pretty sure it has to do with disabling electronic stability control.

Certainly looks like the icon for such an option.

mudking
07-31-2015, 05:16 PM
It definitely is the electronic stability control, i have tested it thoroughly!!! :eagerness:

hownowcb
10-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Press it once to partially disengage the Electronic Stability Control. Hold the button in for ten seconds to completely disengage it. I've found partially disengaging the ESC makes getting around in my Abarth much better during winter. It will be interesting to see how it might apply to winter driving on my wife's new 500X AWD. Hers being AWD will probably be quite different, and they already feel completely different in normal dry pavement situations.

FiatDood
11-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Press it once to partially disengage the Electronic Stability Control. Hold the button in for ten seconds to completely disengage it. I've found partially disengaging the ESC makes getting around in my Abarth much better during winter. It will be interesting to see how it might apply to winter driving on my wife's new 500X AWD. Hers being AWD will probably be quite different, and they already feel completely different in normal dry pavement situations.

So what's the difference between the button and just using the dial to engage AWD?

TheGonz
11-17-2015, 06:48 PM
So what's the difference between the button and just using the dial to engage AWD?

Traction control is always on, and so is AWD. Even in auto or sport mode, AWD will turn on if the computers detect it is necessary. So there's no turning on AWD with the dial. It's just always there when you need it.

Same with traction/stability control. It defaults to "on" all the time.

However, there are certain instances when you don't want traction control on. If you've ever been stuck in deep snow, you may have found traction control's efforts to reduce wheel spin hindered your ability to get out. As anyone who has lived in Northern Wisconsin can tell you, on ice you sometimes want to spin your tires because that's the only way you have any hope of getting moving. There are also certain offroad situations where traction control hurts rather than helps (just go to youtube and look for the video of the Range Rover that was stuck on wet grass for evidence of that). Sometimes you want wheel spin. The button to turn off traction control allows you to decide that.

I'd say for 99.9 percent of driving, leave traction control on and don't worry about it. If you're in a situation where wheel spin may help you, turn it off. That's what the button is for.