PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered new street tires

Robert Nixon
07-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Time to replace my original Pirellis on the 16 inch wheels with around 30,000 miles on these tires. After looking at several websites for national and local tires places, I ended up buying from Tire Rack and got the 205/45R-16 Dunlop Direzza DZ102 at about $83 a piece. AND, as you know that doesn't include shipping, so the price was more like $393. BUT, they also throw in a $60 prepaid card, so that basically covers the shipping, and I'll end this price nonsense and just say they cost about $333 delivered.

BUT, then I'll pay a bit more for installation at my local shop! Anyway, I'm still a happy camper, and have always gotten good quick delivery from Tire Rack. Ordered on line late Tuesday night, delivery on Thursday. That is a reasonable time to wait considering how few local shops stock ANYTHING in the original 195-45-16 size, and many shops told me "we don't have that size".

For a high performance summer tire, these still have a UTQG rating of 460, so that should last a reasonable amount of time for daily driving, and I have some other Dunlops on a 17 inch set of wheels for autocross.

Whatever tires you have, drive safe!

MikeThinks
07-23-2015, 06:58 PM
I thought tirerack partnered with local shops for installation.

Trunkout
07-23-2015, 08:15 PM
I thought tirerack partnered with local shops for installation.

They do but you end up paying about the same anyway.

Robert Nixon
07-25-2015, 10:00 PM
Yes, you can use one of their recommended dealers, or not, but installation is not included with the Tire Rack price.

dlric1
08-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Time to replace my original Pirellis on the 16 inch wheels with around 30,000 miles on these tires. After looking at several websites for national and local tires places, I ended up buying from Tire Rack and got the 205/45R-16 Dunlop Direzza DZ102 at about $83 a piece. AND, as you know that doesn't include shipping, so the price was more like $393. BUT, they also throw in a $60 prepaid card, so that basically covers the shipping, and I'll end this price nonsense and just say they cost about $333 delivered.

BUT, then I'll pay a bit more for installation at my local shop! Anyway, I'm still a happy camper, and have always gotten good quick delivery from Tire Rack. Ordered on line late Tuesday night, delivery on Thursday. That is a reasonable time to wait considering how few local shops stock ANYTHING in the original 195-45-16 size, and many shops told me "we don't have that size".

For a high performance summer tire, these still have a UTQG rating of 460, so that should last a reasonable amount of time for daily driving, and I have some other Dunlops on a 17 inch set of wheels for autocross.

Whatever tires you have, drive safe!

How are you liking the DZ102's? considering ordering a set myself. can't beat that deal.

acroy
08-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Let us know how you like the Direzza DZ102
I had the previous DZ101 and was very disappointed - mushy steering, mediocre grip. It looked cool but drove like grandma's Oldsmobile.

gundam2000
08-05-2015, 02:09 PM
It looked cool but drove like grandma's Oldsmobile.

LOL that's awesome.

Robert Nixon
08-05-2015, 04:54 PM
just got them installed yesterday on the Navy base where I work, about 60 bucks for all the tires and disposal of the old ones. So far I've only driven a few miles and have basically nothing to report, they didn't make my commute time cut in half, didn't make my hair shiny and smooth, and didn't solve world hunger. The original Pirellis lasted about 31,000 miles, so overall not terrible, and longer than some folks have reported.

Will try to give more feedback soon on how they ride.

Robert Nixon
08-05-2015, 09:20 PM
a few photos and blog post on the new tires: http://www.nms-racing.net/2015/08/ntd-new-tire-day.html

Installation was about 13 bucks each, $2 disposal fee for each of the old ones, so just under 60 bucks total for installation on the Naval base where I work.

E Rossi
08-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Your a wise man, Robert!

I bought "4-Dunlap Direzza DZ102, 205/45R16, 87WXL, Summer" from TireRack last March for $335. I paid $51.48 to have them installed.

I have yet to rub anywhere with the OEM rims and OEM suspension.

I have 5,000 miles on them and am totally pleased!

nielmon
09-02-2015, 04:29 AM
Sounds like a good choice. Been thinking of getting the Falken ZIEX ZE-912 because of the deal from 4 wheel online (http://4wheelonline.com/). After reading this thread, I'm considering the Direzza DZ102 as well though I'm curious about its performance on wet roads and cornering.

Robert Nixon
09-02-2015, 03:05 PM
I was on vacation driving my other car for a few weeks, so I've now only driven the new tires a bit in every day driving, and nothing really sticks out to report. Nothing negative, so to me that's all I need a tire to do. While I was gone the $60 rebate prepaid card came in the mail, so that was somewhere around a month from time of order to get the tires and then fill out and return the paperwork for the rebate.

For buying daily driver tires, to me it seems like the simple thing to do is shop all the brands you can find, look at online and local places for prices, factor in the rebates and final total cost after installation, and take it from there. I expect a daily tire to last a pretty good amount of time, so looking at the general guidelines like the mileage warranty or the UTQ rating are the only other factors that matter.