PDA

View Full Version : How to Rotate Tires and Torque?

PorcoRosso
07-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Hey everyone,

Kind of a dumb question, but as I'm unfamiliar with the world of FWD, I was curious of how you rotate the tires on the Abarth. I have a 2012 with 16" wheels with stock Pirellis. I've autocrossed it twice and noticing quick wear on the front wheels, as expected, and I wanted to rotate them before the next two races. Next year I'll get new tires.

Do I just move the front ones back and the back ones forward? Like driver side front to driver side rear and passenger front to passenger rear? or are the Pirelli's multi-directional and I can move driver front to passenger rear and passenger front to driver rear? Also does anyone know what torque poundage I should torque the lug nuts to for the 16" wheel?

I really appreciate the help!

motoraway
07-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Front to back and back to front. Same side. Torque 75 ft-lbs for alloy wheels. Manual says 100 ft-lbs but that's been debated and said to be wrong. I torque my own to 75 and have had no issues.

PorcoRosso
07-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Great! Thanks, Motoraway! 16" are the alloy wheels, right? Sounds right.

nilfinite
07-16-2015, 03:52 PM
I rotate mine front to back on the same side. If the tires aren't directional, I'll switch left and right when moving the back tires to the front.

75 ft-lbs for the stock 16" and 17" wheels!

Racerflash
07-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Yes same for me. Fronts straight to back but swap left and right for back to front. Non directional tires only. I found this somewhere in a Fiat manual when I first got my car.

SeaDawg
07-16-2015, 06:38 PM
Yes same for me. Fronts straight to back but swap left and right for back to front. Non directional tires only. I found this somewhere in a Fiat manual when I first got my car.

You have provided the correct answer! RR to LF and LR to RF then LF to LR and RF to RR. I tried to find the diagram in my pdf file of the owners manual, but it is eluding my best efforts.

When all else fails, use Google...

http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.QGqrDKaL4BpUvrK4mqBV2w&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

SeaDawg
07-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Front to back and back to front. Same side. Torque 75 ft-lbs for alloy wheels. Manual says 100 ft-lbs but that's been debated and said to be wrong. I torque my own to 75 and have had no issues.

You get 1/2 credit!angelgrin Back CROSS to front and front directly to back on same side. Wheel bolt torque for alloy wheels IS 75 ft/lbs. Irrelevant for Abarths, but steelies are 63 ft/lbs.