PDA

View Full Version : Window tint = solar protection?

StaceyR
07-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Does anyone know if the stock window tint on the 500e provides any solar protection? If so, how much compared to aftermarket tints? I'm considering adding tint mostly to keep the interior cooler and lessen AC battery drain. I don't need too much more darkening with the black interior but a little more would improve the look.

Trunkout
07-09-2015, 01:00 PM
ANY aftermarket tint will provide more solar protection and keep the interior cooler.
stop buy or call your local tint shop for options!

J.Peterman
07-09-2015, 01:20 PM
What Trunkout said.
Some are more efficient than others in doing this. Make sure that your tinter uses a film that doesn't interfere with cell phone, radio, or navigation system signals signals.
I had my Abarth done with SunTek CXP. They offer several grades and CXP is their top of the line. It keeps my car much cooler when I'm driving or parked in intense heat. I initially had all four windows plus the rear hatch tinted to the legal limit in SC. After around six months, I had the same tint person tint my sunroof with the darkest tint that they offered. I'm a believer in the benefits of using quality tint on my cars.

Here's the SunTek website: http://www.suntekfilms.com/automotive/automotive-cxp.aspx
There are other good tints that do what SunTek offers.

Sales@Tork2
07-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Window Tinting is going to offer much better protection than the standard tint. For the summer time it is invaluable. Do some research on what darkness you would like and what your local laws are for window tint
Tyson

StaceyR
07-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Thanks all. I have Llumar ATX ceramic tint on my Jetta SportWagen which I love but its a bit pricey for a leased car. Will metallic tints cause reception problems on the 500e?

Trunkout
07-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Will metallic tints cause reception problems on the 500e?

That's a myth. I'm an RF engineer.

Greg Elmassian
07-10-2015, 11:06 PM
When you get the sunroof tinted, do you have it removed to have the film applied? I have tinted windows, and it helps a lot, but that sunroof really needs it.

Greg

p.s. Mr. RF engineer, please google, you can find videos showing cell reception being reduced with CERTAIN metallized tints.

p.p.s. What does "killed" mean in reference to rear window washer? You took the sprayer out?

J.Peterman
07-11-2015, 06:51 AM
When you get the sunroof tinted, do you have it removed to have the film applied? I have tinted windows, and it helps a lot, but that sunroof really needs it.
Greg

Yes, they apply film. But, you use the darkest available film for the sunroof and it makes a tremendous difference. The tint on the sunroof from the factory is terrible for heat and light coming into the car. With the tint that I NOW have (30% on all the side windows, and rear window plus the extreme tint on the sunroof, the car stays MUCH cooler when it's 95 degrees and the sun is beating down on the car. I have a fold-up sunscreen for the windshield and if I park the car in the hot sun, the interior is no longer soaked in heat like it was before.

lx.josh
07-14-2015, 01:54 AM
I got 35% Suntek Carbon & 5% Suntek Carbon XP on my Sunroof. It makes a world of a difference!

aevansgatech
07-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Has anyone done their own tint? If so did you regret it (too much effort, too difficult, etc)?

I'm wondering if the cost savings is worth it for the effort

J.Peterman
07-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Has anyone done their own tint? If so did you regret it (too much effort, too difficult, etc)?

I'm wondering if the cost savings is worth it for the effort
If you've never had any experience with tinting automobile windows, I would strongly advise you NOT to attempt it. There are lots of little tricks that experienced installers use to perform a good, professional installation. I have tinted some windows in my home and the quality of the installation was sub par from having a pro do it. (so, I paid the pro to come out and reinstall what I screwed up). Also, good quality tint is not cheap so if you screw up, you've wasted your money vs paying an up front, agreed upon price with an individual or business who installs tint every day.

Trunkout
07-14-2015, 02:08 PM
If you've never had any experience with tinting automobile windows, I would strongly advise you NOT to attempt it. There are lots of little tricks that experienced installers use to perform a good, professional installation. I have tinted some windows in my home and the quality of the installation was sub par from having a pro do it. (so, I paid the pro to come out and reinstall what I screwed up). Also, good quality tint is not cheap so if you screw up, you've wasted your money vs paying an up front, agreed upon price with an individual or business who installs tint every day.

+1

Greg Elmassian
07-15-2015, 10:21 PM
Still would like to hear from people who had sunroof tinted.

Greg

p.s. Mr. RF engineer, please google, you can find videos showing cell reception being reduced with CERTAIN metallized tints.

p.p.s. What does "killed" mean in reference to rear window washer? You took the sprayer out?

lx.josh
07-16-2015, 01:04 AM

They were able to tint the sunroof on the vehicle. The only problem they had was getting the film all the way to the edge to close the light gap due to the plastic trim overlapping with the dot matrix. It was no big deal, i just closed the light gap by dabbing some black paint on the edge with a tooth pick

J.Peterman
07-16-2015, 06:42 AM
As I said in an earlier post, I had my sunroof tinted in the darkest, Suntek CXP tint that they offer. It makes a world of difference.

=lx.josh: They were able to tint the sunroof on the vehicle. The only problem they had was getting the film all the way to the edge to close the light gap due to the plastic trim overlapping with the dot matrix. It was no big deal, i just closed the light gap by dabbing some black paint on the edge with a tooth pick

My tinter (who is VERY GOOD) was able to get the tint over the dot matrix. He said that if it didn't stick, I should come back in a week when it dried and he could fix it but it stayed stuck with no bubbles on the dot matrix and works great. Your idea of using black paint is a good one if your tinter can't make it work on the dot matrix area.