PDA

View Full Version : HELP HELP Cavallino LEDS HELP

Davothegr8
06-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Does anyone with the Cavallino grill w/leds have or had any trouble with their LEDS? Mine came DOA. Cavallino sent me a second set and they are DOA as well. I went a head and cut the harness and held the wires straight to the battery to eliminate any harness issues, reversed polarity and NOTHING. But I find it hard to believe that 4 leds are bad. Of course they do to. According to Cavallino they don't need a transformer. Anyone have any opinions?

Fundigs
06-21-2015, 09:07 AM
Does anyone with the Cavallino grill w/leds have or had any trouble with their LEDS? Mine came DOA. Cavallino sent me a second set and they are DOA as well. I went a head and cut the harness and held the wires straight to the battery to eliminate any harness issues, reversed polarity and NOTHING. But I find it hard to believe that 4 leds are bad. Of course they do to. According to Cavallino they don't need a transformer. Anyone have any opinions?

Hi Davo,

Assuming you haven't tried this....LEDs are light-emitting diodes. Diodes only allow the current to flow one way through them. Try switching your positive and negative wires and see if that works.

Otherwise, I was looking at the LED bars as well. IF the above doesn't work, I have concerns now :)

EDIT: in re-reading your post in my groggy state, I realized you tried the reverse polarity, but the above still stand true. If one of those little buggers in the line is reversed, none of the them will work.

Davothegr8
06-21-2015, 11:13 AM
Just making sure I'm not doing anything wrong. Cavallino has been really good. They are actually sending me a 3rd set.

art2gecko
06-22-2015, 12:25 PM
following your situation here.. same result for me this weekend, though I haven't had a chance to go back and take the bumper off and recheck them, etc... wondering if maybe they had a few bad batches?

Davothegr8
06-22-2015, 04:14 PM
My 3rd set should be at my door on Wednesday. I'll install them asap (probably Wednesday night) and update.

MADNESSJoseph
06-23-2015, 08:07 PM
My 3rd set should be at my door on Wednesday. I'll install them asap (probably Wednesday night) and update. I have a good feeling about this 3rd set lol :nod:

As always if there's anything I can do on my side don't hesitate to reach out!

Joseph

Davothegr8
06-24-2015, 07:23 PM
3rd set still no good. I really like this grill but I wouldn't recommend the led option. The fiberglass work is flawless. I know Cavallino doesn't make the leds. They are outsourced through China Im sure. But I'm aggrevated that the second and third sets were not tested before leaving Cavallino

MADNESSJoseph
06-24-2015, 08:13 PM
3rd set still no good. I really like this grill but I wouldn't recommend the led option. The fiberglass work is flawless. I know Cavallino doesn't make the leds. They are outsourced through China Im sure. But I'm aggrevated that the second and third sets were not tested before leaving Cavallino Davo, didn't he say that this set was tested before it left?

Davothegr8
06-24-2015, 08:34 PM
He said that about the second set he sent too

MADNESSJoseph
06-24-2015, 08:49 PM
He said that about the second set he sent too
Too bad you don't have another Abarth locally to "test" these out with.. I mean after 3 sets that raises some flags.. Can you just hook it up to power and verify they come on? Hit me up tomorrow. Let's see what Joseph has to say and we'll come up with a solution!

Davothegr8
06-24-2015, 09:21 PM
Yes sir. I actually hooked these straight to the battery to test them before plugging them in. I'm cool homie. I'll just live without them.

MADNESSJoseph
06-24-2015, 09:36 PM
I can't have you running around with open holes for your lights... We'll figure something out! Enjoy your night my friend and we'll catch up tomorrow!

Purgatory
06-24-2015, 09:39 PM
Too bad you don't have another Abarth locally to "test" these out with.. I mean after 3 sets that raises some flags.. Can you just hook it up to power and verify they come on? Hit me up tomorrow. Let's see what Joseph has to say and we'll come up with a solution!

Joseph:

I recently ordered this same grille, LED lights, and even having it painted black by your folks. Hasn't arrived yet. Hoping this LED issue is a rare thing, hoping you are sending me good units! I would hate to go through all this hassle after mine arrives. Looking forward to getting it installed, as I love the look.

David

MADNESSJoseph
06-24-2015, 09:55 PM
Joseph:

I recently ordered this same grille, LED lights, and even having it painted black by your folks. Hasn't arrived yet. Hoping this LED issue is a rare thing, hoping you are sending me good units! I would hate to go through all this hassle after mine arrives. Looking forward to getting it installed, as I love the look.

David

Hi there David!

Good to hear from you my friend.. As I'm sure you're aware ACS Cavallino has a great name in this community and are known for offering quality products at an aggressive price point. Prior to Davo, the only issues I've had with lights (which is rare) would be more of a warranty thing in which months later 1 or 2 of the LED's burned out and they were prompt with making things right. It appears that Davo's car is just special and needs a little extra attention :playful:

In all honestly I would have no fear! I'm just a little stumped about this unique situation we've ran into.

SuperTony
06-24-2015, 11:04 PM
Ok. I am going to be silly so please don't hold it against me for stating the obvious. Please remember when testing that you have to have the lights on when you hit the driving lights button.

There I said it - just wanted to throw my two cents in brainstorming. Also, when building the switch you have to push the connector deep until it seats with a tangible result.

Just trying to help. Don't beat me up for silly ideas. Wish I was close to attend a build garage session.

monsterdetail
06-25-2015, 12:16 AM
Just installed this grill and im having the same issue ,new Led's should be here Friday 18356

Davothegr8
06-25-2015, 06:39 AM
Just installed this grill and im having the same issue ,new Led's should be here Friday 18356

Please keep me updated

Davothegr8
06-25-2015, 06:42 AM
Joseph:

David
Test the leds before you cut up your bumper.

Davothegr8
06-25-2015, 06:44 AM
Ok. I am going to be silly so please don't hold it against me for stating the obvious. Please remember when testing that you have to have the lights on when you hit the driving lights button.

There I said it - just wanted to throw my two cents in brainstorming. Also, when building the switch you have to push the connector deep until it seats with a tangible result.

Just trying to help. Don't beat me up for silly ideas. Wish I was close to attend a build garage session.

Tony I appreciate it. I'm far from a shop newbie. This isn't rocket surgery by any means.

art2gecko
06-25-2015, 07:32 AM
not liking what I'm seeing here... hope mine pass the battery test and just need flipped around.. pain in the a## though... jeez.

monsterdetail
06-26-2015, 12:54 AM
Please keep me updated

I got the new set of LED'S and i have BAD news they are defective again, dont they test them before shipping? ! For the record all the wires have power and work good with the stock fog lights, run direct power from battery to LED'S again nothing so i trst them with a machine and no reading, this is a joke.

Davothegr8
06-26-2015, 02:06 PM
I'm sorry man. Seems they have a real problem. I havent called them. I gave up trying.

krayzielilsmoki
06-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Are these a proprietary strip of LEDs or is it just standard LEDs wired together.
Back in the day I bought some Halo headlights and one of the LEDs was burned out so I decided to replace them all with RGB LEDs and wired them up to an arduino for some fancy effects. You guys could do the same for extremely cheap (LEDs are very cheap) Here is a vid of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nAsgUpLZPw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKq2mVkshrU

Purgatory
06-26-2015, 06:59 PM
This is making almost wish I hadn't ordered this. The whole point for me, was to have the LED lights on the front. Sure the actually grille will be fine, not worried about that, but now 2 people with the same issue with multiple attempts at new lights? Would seem like Madness should (if they don't already) test each and everyone prior to shipping. Not like its a cheap option.

Haven't received mine yet, but not apprehensive of what I am buying.

Davothegr8
06-26-2015, 07:18 PM
It's not Madness! These are shipped from Cavallino directly. Cavallino gets the LEDS from China Im sure. Cavallino is a fiberglass company making great quality products.

art2gecko
06-26-2015, 08:33 PM
the leds look like this..

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/CREE-LED-Daytime-Running-DRL-Lights-p/60-010.htm

Purgatory
06-26-2015, 09:14 PM
sure looks similar to those linked

Davothegr8
06-26-2015, 11:21 PM
the leds look like this..

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/CREE-LED-Daytime-Running-DRL-Lights-p/60-010.htm

How did you find these? I see they are out of stock.

mkdragn
06-27-2015, 02:19 AM
Mine just started going. Ive had them for about 10 months. Who do you guys recommend I speak to? I bought it from Madness.
One pic shows it when it was working alright.. rest are how it is now..

monsterdetail
06-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Mine just started going. Ive had them for about 10 months. Who do you guys recommend I speak to? I bought it from Madness.

One pic shows it when it was working alright.. rest are how it is now..

So even if they work they still take a dive after a few months? Anyone else who had them for a while that can give us feedback

Davothegr8
06-30-2015, 10:41 PM
So should I just leave the slots empty or just put 1 of the 3 dead sets in? Any thoughts?

monsterdetail
07-01-2015, 01:47 AM
So should I just leave the slots empty or just put 1 of the 3 dead sets in? Any thoughts?

I lf the bad ones on the grill till i get a good set 18418sendback18418

Tweak
07-01-2015, 11:07 AM

I'd install dead lights to fill the space and if anyone asks just tell them I don't use them...which since they are dead isn't a lie. :D

Davothegr8
07-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Has anyone else had any luck recently with receiving good leds? I haven't heard back from the gentlemen from Cavallino yet. I'm still hopeful.

Purgatory
07-07-2015, 08:07 PM
I got too concerned about these issues, and cancelled my entire grille order. No problems getting immediate and full refund. I have now ordered the rear seat delete kit, ready to make mine a full time two seater. In my 14 months or so of Abarthing, only had passengers (complaining) in the back 2-3 times. Now that we have the 500L with 4 doors and room for 5, going for the flat look in the back. Already keep the back seat down all the time, and have my full size 17" spare rim and walker and cane and car cleaning stuff, tools and oil back there.

mkdragn
07-07-2015, 09:53 PM
I had Madness contact Cavallino because my Leds are screwy too and the order was through Madness500. Cavallino is not even getting back to Madness' emails about my faulty product. I had no idea Cavallino as company was like this...
I would never have purchased this overpriced LED from them, if I had known they provide shoddy service. There are so many people waiting on them! ah this irks me.

Purgatory
07-08-2015, 12:23 AM
I had Madness contact Cavallino because my Leds are screwy too and the order was through Madness500. Cavallino is not even getting back to Madness' emails about my faulty product. I had no idea Cavallino as company was like this...
I would never have purchased this overpriced LED from them, if I had known they provide shoddy service. There are so many people waiting on them! ah this irks me.

This is why I dumped my order with Madness. Madness was fine on the cancelation and refund, no foul to them. Makes me think not good thoughts on Cavallino, for what was already a very expensive product. Way over priced for such shoddy quality and issues.

Davothegr8
07-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Joseph from 500Madness had emailed me the following:
"He stated he did indeed have a defective batch and he wasn't going to let me place any new orders for this grill until after this Friday. It was his hopes that by Friday he would be able to complete all testing and be able to move forward."
"I'm thinking he's just waiting for that to happen before providing an update."

Davothegr8
07-08-2015, 10:31 AM
This is why I dumped my order with Madness. Madness was fine on the cancelation and refund, no foul to them. Makes me think not good thoughts on Cavallino, for what was already a very expensive product. Way over priced for such shoddy quality and issues.

This is why I deal with 500 Madness! If problems arise AND THEY WILL WITH ANY VENDOR 500 Madness always makes it right!!

art2gecko
07-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Received this email yesterday...

Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 10:32 AM
To: xx
Subject: Re: Abarth - Cavallino grill insert question

Currently working to find the issue with the lights.

Lights are all tested prior to shipping, but have seen a failures upon installation or time. We never had rejects on previous lots, looks like the last batch has an issue.

Currently performing some test inhouse and working with the manufacturer to figure out the cause.

Rest assured we'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Joseph Taverna

Advanced Composite Specialties (ACS)
www.acscomposite.com
1700 Claire Crescent
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H8S 1A2
T. 514-828-1000 F. 514-828-9422

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 7:34 AM, xx> wrote:
Hello Joseph,
I ordered the Cavallino grill with LEDs and the Cavallino splitter through Lorenzo at FiatTech a couple months ago. It took me a little while to get them all installed since I was having them painted to match the body color. The pieces themselves I am very happy with. The LED light bars though are non-functional. As you are perhaps aware, there are threads on this subject on both the FiatTech forum, and also the blue forum. It seems that people who have ordered these through multiple vendors – Fiattech (abarthmotorsports), RoadRace, and Madness, are all experiencing faulty LED bars. I understand that you sourced these from somewhere and are not the manufacturer of the LEDs, but at a ~$150 upcharge for the LEDs, they should certainly be checked before shipping out. Now, I’ve contacted Lorenzo about this, and he said he’s been working with you on this, but just suggested I drop you a line in support of some kind of resolution on this…

Thanks

art2gecko
07-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Sent: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 2:50 PM
To: xx
Subject: Re: Abarth - Cavallino grill insert question

Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing, you are correct, I am not a sponsoring vendor, hence I wont be able to post on the forum.

It is a shame some are not happy, we are doing our best to solve the issue on the last production lot. At this point, I have set current orders on hold until we are happy with the results.

Should not be too long before we are back in production.

Regards,

Joseph Taverna

www.acscomposite.com
1700 Claire Crescent

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 11:01 AM, wrote:
Hi Joseph,
Not sure if you’re still active on the Blue forum, but if you are, perhaps you might want to respond on this thread…

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?21751-HELP-HELP-Cavallino-LEDS-HELP/page4

Davothegr8
07-10-2015, 10:56 AM
I just received a very pleasant email from Joseph Taverna at ACS. Overall I still rate my experience as a positive one. Stuff comes up with EVERY vendor. That's just life. But it's what the vendor does after the sale that makes the difference to me. I would like to thank Joseph at 500Madness for sticking with this until it was resolved. It's been over a month and neither Madness nor ACS gave up!!! For those still wanting this setup, DO IT! You can rest assure Madness and ACS will provide you service after the sale.

Hi Davo,

First off I wanted to thank you for your patience with the Cavallino Abarth LED issue we encountered recently, as you can imagine it took some work to resolve the issue and understand the root cause. Glad we stopped processing orders while we troubleshooting the system,

Again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Turns out the last manufactured lot was wired slightly different, consequently a new lot has been manufactured and the LED module has implemented to insure there are no power surges to LED's. (which was causing the failure) This is part of the explanation as to why the lights would be active here, and barely working, if not dead when arrived.

We have been doing some testing for past few weeks and can say, the results have been promising here. I will continue testing to see if any failure is detecting over the long haul.

If you wish, I can send a replacement kit out today for you. Of course, you cannot run these new LED's directly to the the 12 volts as previously directed. The supplied module needs to be installed between the car's LED harness and new supplied LED bars.

Thanks again for working with us.

Regards,

Joseph Taverna

www.acscomposite.com
1700 Claire Crescent

Davothegr8
07-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Situation resolved! LEDS look great! Highly recommend this company who stuck it out and figured out the problem!! If this thread tells you anything, You can buy with confidence from Madness and Cavallino

MADNESSJoseph
07-18-2015, 12:09 PM
Glad to hear everything is good on your end my friend and as Joseph has mentioned I apologize it took so long to get this situation resolved! Enjoy your weekend and I look forward to talking with you soon!

500MADNESS.com
07-20-2015, 03:50 PM
We're excited to hear that the situation was resolved!

We'd love to see some photos of the finish product if you don't mind :adoration:

And as Joseph said, should you ever need anything - we're at your beck and call. Simply drop us a PM, an email, a message on Facebook, Instagram...or even call us xyxwave We're here for you.