PDA

View Full Version : Checking for Tire pressure, oil life, and... What is speed lock?

moni012
06-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Just bought my 500L Lounge a little over a week ago, and (knock on wood) I love it... With that being said. I cannot figure out how the heck to manually check my tire pressure and the oil life on the car. I've pressed every freaking button and nothing... Does anyone know? I've googled it, read the manual, and checked on YouTube. This is my last resort. Also, last night as I was driving and I had a message on the Uconnect screen something about Speed Lock and can't function when vehicle is in motion (something to that effect). I didn't press anything, do anything, nothing! It went away when I stopped at a red light but would come on when I started to drive. What does that even mean?! This is my first time in a forum... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maricopaman
06-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Strange no one has answered yet, usually they are Johnny on the Spot. I don't have an L but usually the end of the right stalk (wiper washer) will toggle your different screens (tire pressure, mpg, trip meter). You should have gotten a CD with your vehicle, while it is awful you can use search to find most things. I know there is an online manual someplace too, the guys who've been here a while know where it is. The upper right of this page has a search also, you can put in "online manual" and it will bring up the threads that have the info. I tried "speed lock" and only came up with your post, I don't know what it is.
Welcome to the forum and hope you get your car figured out, I'm sure you'll love it!

X19
06-07-2015, 01:03 PM
I don't believe there is a way to display tire pressures and oil life. If there are, they are in a "hidden" menu. The documentation for our cars doesn't always match reality; for instance, no US cars have Homelink, and there is no speed-adjustable volume on NAV cars. There are also many ňaster eggs," such as the remote operating the windows (at least on most 500Ls).
If a tire is low, the display will tell you which one, not just a generic warning, but won't advise of the actual pressure. You'll get an oil life indication once the car has determined you are within 500 miles of needing an oil change (max. of 10,000 mi.), but I don't know of any way to check it before then.

bianco scorpion
06-07-2015, 06:14 PM
Many of the Fiat DVD vids are on ' mopar brand ' channel on youtube.

Yes,,, they put the Fiat vids on Mopar instead of their 'Fiat' youtube channel !?!?!?! :frantic4yc:

Felnus
06-07-2015, 10:11 PM
http://www.fiatusa.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html

Both of my sisters own 500Ls and I don't believe it is possible to display the individual tire pressures. If one does get low enough to set off the TPMS system, the warning notice will tell you which tire is low.

Fiat500USA
06-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Many of the Fiat DVD vids are on ' mopar brand ' channel on youtube.

Yes,,, they put the Fiat vids on Mopar instead of their 'Fiat' youtube channel !?!?!?! :frantic4yc:

They should probably stick them on both channels. It may seem a little strange, but Mopar is now in charge of all Fiat Service and parts at FCA. Turning into one big happy family! LOL

moni012
06-08-2015, 06:45 AM
Thank you all!this gives me some kind of clarity... Lol ��

500spot
06-08-2015, 12:26 PM
I check my tire pressure with a hand held gauge occasionally just like I have with every car I've ever owned. I keep track of mileage I record at all oil changes and check the oil with the dipstick provided in the engine bay. Sometimes I add some oil prior to the evic display about oil change due. I don't like to ever get more than 1/2 qt low. When someone drives around in the 2000rpm range with these cars, I don't believe it's especially healthful. I tend to keep it closer to the power band to keep all parts working as intended like the turbo charger. While that might be nicer to the engine, it also may use a little more oil than the old lady type drivers so I check the level frequently. The evics on both of my Fiats are very good about the oil change interval warnings so I'm not concerned about that at all and the tpms systems work pretty well on them also.

X19
06-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Could "Speed Lock" be the name for functions locked-out due to speed? For example, if the car is moving, texts can only be read to you, the option to read them is locked-out. Ditto some nav functions.

Robert Nixon
06-08-2015, 04:35 PM
Not sure if this is right, but from the FIAT Forum in England, from about 2009: "Speed lock, when on, doors auto lock when driving and you go over 20kph".
Since the 500L is built in Europe, this might be the simple answer for Speed Lock.

Trunkout
06-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Not sure if this is right, but from the FIAT Forum in England, from about 2009: "Speed lock, when on, doors auto lock when driving and you go over 20kph".
Since the 500L is built in Europe, this might be the simple answer for Speed Lock.

On my Abarth it's called "Autoclose" so this makes sense.

moni012
06-08-2015, 11:11 PM
UPDATE... Went to the dealership today (for a different issue...) and I was told that the only way to check the tire pressure is with a tire gauge. And... To check the oil life you have to use the dip stick. Basically Fiats gone old school on us. Lol I don't mind. I asked about the Speed Lock message and was told somehow someway I must have hit the Navigation button because when the vehicles in motion I cannot type in an address, city, etc. i don't know. It didn't come on today. Maybe future updates to follow

Tweak
06-10-2015, 10:02 PM

Would have been my guess as well.

JWD
07-13-2015, 01:31 PM
>>and there is no speed-adjustable volume on NAV cars.

This is the first I've heard of this, where did you hear this? I got a 500L w/ NAV and a radio that cut out to "Select Aux Input" a lot, which didn't display the speed adjustable volume menu option. The studio replaced this with a different radio, with NAV, that did display the speed adjustable volume (SAV) option. But their install missed the steering wheel controls, so I had to take it back. When I got it back from them it had steering wheel controls again (yay!), but no longer displayed the SAV option. I figured that was just something they missed and I would take it back sometime later to discuss it with them. But if someone has documented that it isn't an option, I can spare us all some aggravation. (It does seem like it would be a nice feature to have, or even just pretend to have, though.)