PDA

View Full Version : Need new daily driver rotors - looking at RockAuto. What do you recommend?

Rconn14
06-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Hey all - I need to get some front rotors for the Abarth and while I'm looking for a quality part, I'm not looking to go overboard with modification.

RockAuto has a few different options - has anyone purchased any of the sets they have?

Does anyone recommend a particular brand over another?

Also - what type of brake fluid is everyone running?

Just looking to spend around $80-$100 for a good pair of rotors. Thanks!

msjulie33
06-01-2015, 09:42 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=Fiat&autoModel=500c+Abarth&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=

I was looking at something a little more than stock though

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Centric&model=High+Carbon+Plain+125+Series+Cryo-Treated+Rotor&group=High+Carbon+Plain+125+Series+Cryo-Treated+Rotor&partNum=C125.04002CRY&autoMake=Fiat&autoModel=500c+Abarth&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=

Abarth Fun
06-01-2015, 09:51 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results.jsp?autoMake=Fiat&autoModel=500c+Abarth&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=

I was looking at something a little more than stock though

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Centric&model=High+Carbon+Plain+125+Series+Cryo-Treated+Rotor&group=High+Carbon+Plain+125+Series+Cryo-Treated+Rotor&partNum=C125.04002CRY&autoMake=Fiat&autoModel=500c+Abarth&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=

I like it and may follow your lead. Careful though as the fine print for your second link excludes the Abarth.

gfurneri
06-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Check out r1 concepts they do great stuff for a good price.

Tweak
06-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Tire Rack also has Stoptech rotors which seem to be pretty well liked.

msjulie33
06-02-2015, 12:22 AM
I like it and may follow your lead. Careful though as the fine print for your second link excludes the Abarth.

Good catch I thought I saw them for that model but I'll check again

Guess this then unless I go all the way to stop techs.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Centric&model=Plain+120+Series+Cryo-Treated+Rotor&group=Plain+120+Series+Cryo-Treated+Rotor&partNum=C120.04002CRY&autoMake=Fiat&autoModel=500c+Abarth&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=

pk9394
06-03-2015, 02:33 PM
I have R1 rotors more than 24k on them. much better than the oem

nielmon
06-22-2015, 05:35 AM
I know some guys here have the Tarox rotors, and haven't heard any complaints.

pip
06-22-2015, 04:22 PM
I think R1 has a reg line and a "top" line...... Im running the good slotted ones and they are great! Slotted with Red pads!!

A tiny bit louder under HARD braking..... they have more "bite" with a light touch of the foot also!

Haring
06-22-2015, 06:01 PM
I have R1 rotors more than 24k on them. much better than the oem

I have R1 slotted/drilled as well. Daily drive is to/from work about 40miles a day. Love the look and never had any issues with them.

500T2NV
06-24-2015, 02:36 PM
I have R1 slotted/drilled as well. Daily drive is to/from work about 40miles a day. Love the look and never had any issues with them.

I Have The R1 Concepts Premier Series Slotted Only Rotors On My Car. I have 4 Track Days And Over 22,000+ Miles On My Car And Still Going Strong...

Spyrule
06-25-2015, 11:34 AM
Tire Rack also has Stoptech rotors which seem to be pretty well liked.

I've only used them on my Subaru, but the stoptech rotors are simply amazing. They lasted forever (probably 80K KM's) and the hats never rusted or chipped (they come with pre-painted black hats).

I'm hoping like hell Stoptech decides to make brake pads for our cars. They were simply amazing. Low dust, low noise, but had CRAZY stopping co-efficient. One of the best bang-for-buck pads I've had the chance to try (and I've tried EBC's, HP S's as well as plus, stoptech).

Spyrule
06-25-2015, 11:42 AM
Also,

For anybody looking at slotted vs x-drilled. Go slotted, unless you live in Cali/Florida (or the southern states). If you live anywhere there is snow/cold and sand is used on the roads, do NOT get x-drilled rotors.

X-drilled was purely made for hill-climb in it's original design, and if dirt/stones get caught in the holes, they will destroy your pads in no time, and become very ineffective for stopping. Plus they have a highly increased chance at cracking from the holes (I've seen this on both "cheaper" x-drilled, as well as uber expensive rotors (race Brembo's, Project U's, and a few others). Just go with slotted. You still get the benefit of clearing debris (which is the real point of the slots), but they can't trap stones, so they won't gouge your pads.

Now, if your doing hill-climb/tracking frequently, or live where you don't travel on gravel/dirt roads regularly, your probably going to want to do both slotted/x-drilled (just don't do x-drilled by itself). Only exception... if your swapping your rotors for racing/tracking, and then swap back before regular driving, then your good.

Just some experience being passed on.

Tweak
06-25-2015, 11:45 AM
I've only used them on my Subaru, but the stoptech rotors are simply amazing. They lasted forever (probably 80K KM's) and the hats never rusted or chipped (they come with pre-painted black hats).

I'm hoping like hell Stoptech decides to make brake pads for our cars. They were simply amazing. Low dust, low noise, but had CRAZY stopping co-efficient. One of the best bang-for-buck pads I've had the chance to try (and I've tried EBC's, HP S's as well as plus, stoptech).

Good info to know, thanks for sharing.