PDA

View Full Version : Firestone firehawk oval 500

Jered
05-30-2015, 02:28 PM
so after going through my Pirelli p7 set in about 12000 miles I just had 205 45 16 Firestone firehawk oval 500 summer tires mounted.

Anyone else have these in the past and have any advice?

Figured at $405 installed and a $140 mail in rebate I couldn't go wrong on the price.

Robert Nixon
05-30-2015, 09:14 PM
With the rebate that's got to be about the cheapest tire around!

Jered
06-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Got them out on Saturday. So far I have no complaints at all. They grip way better than the Pirelli tires.

No rubbing at all. Wasn't sure with being a wider and slightly taller tire. 205 45 16

And yes. The price was awesome. $230 after the rebate for ultra high performance summer tires.

JimmyTestarossa
06-04-2015, 08:29 AM
I had Firestones on my Miata when I bought it (used) and they were quite good. I didn't track the car or anything like that but grip was good, low noise and good feel in the steering. The receipt for the tires was included when I bought the car and they were $39.99/each and I think out the door price was under $200. My next set of tires on that car were "green" Michelins and they were disappointing. Ultimate grip was okay but sidewalls flexed like crazy.

Enjoy!

Indelibility
06-04-2015, 12:58 PM
I'm loving my G-FORCE SPORT COMP-2 I just had put on, $273.28 for all four after rebate!

dylansi
06-04-2015, 01:19 PM
i'm loving my g-force sport comp-2 i just had put on, $273.28 for all four after rebate!

where?!

gundam2000
06-04-2015, 02:32 PM
I'm looking for a tire that has more grip and is quieter than the stock garbage Pirellis. I have the forged 17 wheels. I need a stiffer sidewall because of potholes.
Any suggestions?

Indelibility
06-04-2015, 03:19 PM
where?!

Tire Rack has a good deal going on, dealer got me on mounting/balancing/alignment ($160) but the tires themselves are a helluva deal!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport+COMP-2&partnum=045WR6GFSPC2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Tweak
06-04-2015, 11:53 PM
I'm looking for a tire that has more grip and is quieter than the stock garbage Pirellis. I have the forged 17 wheels. I need a stiffer sidewall because of potholes.
Any suggestions?

Can't really go wrong with a set of Michelin AS3's.

Purgatory
06-05-2015, 01:48 AM
Will never understand all the "hatred" on this forum against the stock 17" Pirelli P-Zero's. Been using Pirelli tires for over 25 years. I think some just don't understand the nature of their tires. They grip like a mother, and provide intense tactile feel through the steering wheel. Perhaps too much to some people's thinking. They communicate very well to the driver IMO. I already plan to replace mine with another set when my original's wear out. After nearly 15k miles of highly spirited street driving, all 4 of mine look like new, and grip like hell. They are even decent tires in the rain, surprising, because most Pirelli's I have owned on other cars were skittery in the rain. Not these. Now snow or ice, no way, but then they are 3 season tires, not 4 seasons. Will have to be content to agree to disagree on this subject. Tires are like shoes (for cars, of course), and its hard for any two people to even agree about shoes.

bglz42
06-05-2015, 07:36 AM
I did not like the 17 Pirellis at all. To me the tramlining was almost uncontrollable. And I am a huge fan of Pirelli tires. Been running them since I bought my first set of P3s for my X1/9! In 1980!

gundam2000
06-05-2015, 09:50 AM
tramlining is terrible. I live with bad potholed and rough surface streets. these communicate too much of that noise and rough feel. They absolutely do not grip worth a damn here. I get excessive wheelspin in 1st 2nd and 3rd when trying to launch hard. I shouldn't be able to smoke the tires with under 200hp and 200tq.

Trunkout
06-05-2015, 10:10 AM
tramlining is terrible. I live with bad potholed and rough surface streets. these communicate too much of that noise and rough feel. They absolutely do not grip worth a damn here. I get excessive wheelspin in 1st 2nd and 3rd when trying to launch hard. I shouldn't be able to smoke the tires with under 200hp and 200tq.

EXACTLY my thoughts. The "Zero" is the grip rating.

Purgatory
06-05-2015, 10:12 AM
I did not like the 17 Pirellis at all. To me the tramlining was almost uncontrollable. And I am a huge fan of Pirelli tires. Been running them since I bought my first set of P3s for my X1/9! In 1980!

Not picking a fight, using your remarks as a proof tech to the agree to disagree point I was making. Yes, to use the term "tramlining", the Pirelli's do that, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Perhaps if I lived with lots of bad roads (which is generally not the case here), I might feel different. Got the occasional pot holes (which I learn by heart and avoid) and a few rare rough train track crossings (which I go extra slow over).

As far as burning rubber, so to speak, in my one year plus, I have only "burned out" one time, mostly on purpose in first gear. But that's it. Even with all my mods, I can launch, boost high, shift fast, etc., and the tires aren't breaking loose. Perhaps this comes into the category of driver style/technique more than a trait of a particular tire. That's certainly a variable.

No offense offered or intended, just talking/thinking out loud.

Klasse Act
06-05-2015, 10:21 AM
I replaced my Pirelli's at 13.8k but at 5500 miles the inner shoulder was cupping (light, dark, light dark spots) and that's just not acceptable. I even had the alignment checked under the 12 mo/12k mfg warranty and everything was within spec. I did reading on it and I wasn't the only one with this problem.
I've switched to Yokahama S-drives and went up a size to a 215/40/17 and we'll see how the car is once I get over 5k on these tires. BTW, I'm VERY happy with these tires!

Tweak
06-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Will never understand all the "hatred" on this forum against the stock 17" Pirelli P-Zero's. Been using Pirelli tires for over 25 years. I think some just don't understand the nature of their tires. They grip like a mother, and provide intense tactile feel through the steering wheel. Perhaps too much to some people's thinking. They communicate very well to the driver IMO. I already plan to replace mine with another set when my original's wear out. After nearly 15k miles of highly spirited street driving, all 4 of mine look like new, and grip like hell. They are even decent tires in the rain, surprising, because most Pirelli's I have owned on other cars were skittery in the rain. Not these. Now snow or ice, no way, but then they are 3 season tires, not 4 seasons. Will have to be content to agree to disagree on this subject. Tires are like shoes (for cars, of course), and its hard for any two people to even agree about shoes.

12K and my Pirelli tires were shot. I have to make it down to SC some day and do some driving with you to see what kind of spirited driving you are doing in comparison. I feel like I could kill your tires and UniChip like I have mine with my aggressive driving and not slowing for the corners as much as one really should. :)

Radagast
06-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Any suggestions?

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?21582-FS-17-quot-Abarth-Diamond-Cut-Finish-10-spoke-alloy-wheels-tires-center-caps-and-TPMS

Maybe not the tire for you as it's a Pirelli but for future forum searchers I'll suggest these tires as having a stiffer sidewall.