PDA

View Full Version : Decal opinion

DennisH
05-27-2015, 09:01 AM
Just got 9" scorpion decals from Boris (really awesome work), and I'm looking for opinions for which to place on the hood. I have a Grigio 500c Abarth with white side decals, mirror caps, and spoke rims. I bought a white scorpion, which of course goes with the stripes and rims, and I also bought a matte black. I love the stealth black on gray look, but with everything else white, I'm not sure how it would look.

Any thoughts?

Mr_Ed
05-27-2015, 08:34 PM
What ever you do.... Post Pictures!

DennisH
05-27-2015, 08:51 PM
What ever you do.... Post Pictures!

Will do

krayzielilsmoki
05-27-2015, 10:09 PM
I just saw a red abarth with white stripes on the street, he had a black scorpion on the edge of his hood on the driver side, half on the hood half on the fender, I thought it looked interesting. I wasnt a big fan of the color combinations but for you the matte black scorpion placed like that might give it a unique look.
I say get some masking tape and try it in different positions on your car before you decide where to stick. You'd be surprised how good it looks no matter where you place it. And yes, definitely take pics.

DennisH
06-01-2015, 08:30 AM
Well, I attempted a dry application and did a truly **** job of it, but I really liked the way the color worked. It looks different from different angles, but black on gray is the way to go. I removed it, but I'm going to order a new matte black one and try a wet application, probably a little closer to the windshield. Any tips?

Tweak
06-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Soapy water and shade on a cool hood...otherwise just take it slow and cover your squeegee with a paper towel to make sure not to scratch the vinyl.

boxerbay
06-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Actually paper towel will scratch vinyl also. Bag o rags cotton strips on a credit card. Shade and spritz bottle water and 5 drops of dish soap.

krayzielilsmoki
06-02-2015, 10:21 PM
Ahh man, sorry to hear that.
Boris comes back next Tuesday and he can get another scorpion out to you. Ill let him know you messed up on the application and he will probably give you a discount on the next one. Wet application is easy. One or two drops of dish wash soap in a water bottle with a spray nozzle on it is what we use.

Tweak
06-02-2015, 11:25 PM
Actually paper towel will scratch vinyl also. Bag o rags cotton strips on a credit card. Shade and spritz bottle water and 5 drops of dish soap.

You need to buy softer paper towels or tougher vinyl...lol. :p

I use microfiber towels personally but I've seen paper towels used with no damage. ;)

DennisH
06-03-2015, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I've already ordered a new decal, so when it gets here I'll do the wet application - sounds easy enough, but that never stopped me from messing up.