PDA

View Full Version : 500 sport 44mpg

jclaarTX
05-20-2015, 11:53 PM
I've had my 2012 500 sport (bought 3rd hand with 70k miles on it) and i typically get 28 mpg on the west side of San Antonio. I've taken it on 3 road trips so far and without cruise control I can get 35-37 mpg. On my last trip, however, I cruised 90% of the way, and when I got home I had a quarter of a tank left and the range calculator said i had 110 miles left. Divide that by my 10 gallon fuel tank, and that suggests that I was getting 44 mpg on the highway that day.

Tweak
05-21-2015, 10:14 AM
Nice #s, welcome to the forum.

Maricopaman
05-21-2015, 12:06 PM
I'm assuming it's a stick and not an auto. They do get much better mileage on the road, I get 34 on the road with my 2015 auto sport, but city driving really knocks down the mileage so my overall average for 1078 miles is only 29.8 mpg. I'm basing all these figures on the in dash mileage calculator which I think is somewhat whacko, (it goes up while sitting at a light, it should go down) but gives a good base line.

Andree
05-21-2015, 12:27 PM
I've had my 2012 500 sport (bought 3rd hand with 70k miles on it) and i typically get 28 mpg on the west side of San Antonio. I've taken it on 3 road trips so far and without cruise control I can get 35-37 mpg. On my last trip, however, I cruised 90% of the way, and when I got home I had a quarter of a tank left and the range calculator said i had 110 miles left. Divide that by my 10 gallon fuel tank, and that suggests that I was getting 44 mpg on the highway that day.

Hey there, welcome, come on in, pull up a chair!

Excellent mpg!

Something magical about that cruise control on the open road that just squeezes out the best in mpg. I've had 45 mpg on cruise control, going about 63 mph. Glad to hear you can do it too!

Those kinds of numbers make for some low cost distance trips, that's for sure.

Tell us about the colors inside and out, and why you chose Fiat!

Megalomaniacal
05-21-2015, 12:53 PM
2015 sport here too

easy 44-50 on the freeway...they love cruising 60-70mph

draft behind a larger vehicle and see 52-55mpg

Sport mode on the street, nonsport on the freeway is how I go.

Doohickie
05-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Yeah, I'm getting close to 40 this tank since my wife dropped a table on her right foot and it hurts to drive. So I'm driving twice as far to work to drop her off, but more of it is on the freeway so I'm seeing better mileage.

I'm not sure I buy your calculation though. First of all, it's a 10.5 gallon tank, not a 10 gallon tank (which would put you just under 42 mpg). Secondly, there's a pretty wide variation in the indicator and you may have had more gas left than exactly a quarter tank. Third... why don't you just check the trip computer mileage? Do you know how to work it? Still good mileage, but I think there are some errors in the method you used to calculate mileage.

I think I've seen mileage above 60 mpg for short stretches (i.e., just filled up and then get on a freeway). For straight freeway driving, I've gotten some good mileage. I think I've gotten over 40 for a full tank once or twice.

jclaarTX
05-22-2015, 12:13 PM
It's actually am automatic. I was asuming the computer was pretty accurate but it still gets tremendous numbers!

jclaarTX
05-22-2015, 12:15 PM
I have a dark green 2012 sport, and hopefully I'll upload some pics soon. Thanks for your interest!

Andree
05-22-2015, 01:23 PM
I have a dark green 2012 sport, and hopefully I'll upload some pics soon. Thanks for your interest!

Oooh, you got Olive? What is your interior color, like the steering wheel and seat surrounds? Black or brown? The first two years of Sports had an option of a brown surround on the seats and steering wheel. The olive color dash can go with any of the interior colors in any of the models!

One of the first cars I called on when I was looking, was an Olive Lounge with brown and ivory interior. It was sold. Looking forward to pics!

rustbucket
05-22-2015, 09:45 PM
... For straight freeway driving, I've gotten some good mileage. I think I've gotten over 40 for a full tank once or twice.

I've gotten over 40 once and like you that was almost all freeway driving. I've started saving my mpg data on fuelly.com and over the last 8 fillups I've averaged 37.3 mpg .... not too shabby especially considering the Sport button is on 99% of the time this time of year. I'm pleased- I remember being a little nervous when I first got the car when I had a couple of tankfuls where I couldn't break 30 mpg ... no doubt a new, tight engine combined with subzero temps was the cause.

I've noticed a good jump (1.5-2 mpg) in mpg switching back to 92 octane E10 from 87 octane E10. Runs fine on 87 but the seat of the pants dyno says the motor is making more horsepower on 92. There's 92/93 ethanol free fuel available here locally .... going to try it again and see if mpg improves some more.

jclaarTX
05-22-2015, 10:15 PM
yeah i bought mine with 70000k on it but it still runs like a charm!

jclaarTX
05-22-2015, 10:16 PM
it's black on the inside. I sriously love it! and I try my best to keep it very clean in there.

jclaarTX
05-22-2015, 10:17 PM
i actually have an automatic. I was going based on the computer being accurate.

rustbucket
05-22-2015, 10:48 PM
i actually have an automatic. I was going based on the computer being accurate.

I don't use the computer much but when I have - it seems to be in the ballpark when compared to my hand calculated numbers.

vphb
06-11-2015, 07:30 PM
I'm a lo mileage city driver with a sport automatic 2012. I just hit 16k miles... I'm lucky to get 20 mpg and I'm not an aggressive driver and usually in traffic. Not thrilled with the straight city mpg by any means ... my old minicooper turbo stick got 21 mpg. I've tried everything but this car gets the worst gas mileage of any car I've ever owned. That's not to say I don't enjoy the car and it's ability to be parked almost anywhere. Just wish the city mileage lived up to what the quotes are. In the freeway no problem avg. 40mpg. But I was really specific when I bought this saying I was looking for 24-26 mpg in the city and the salesman said...no problem!!! Thats my biggest disappointment.At least I'm back to using just regular gas, tried them all and there was no difference....and no I don't use the sport button!

Mgarciaad
06-12-2015, 12:17 AM
I was starting to think I was the only one. My mileage is pretty bad. I'd say I probably get about 18mpg. I got the car used with 45k miles. Automatic, In great shape. It's a sport and never use the sport button. I will say I hadn't realized till this week I should be using 91 octane. I've been using 87. But doubt that will really make that big a difference. No way am I near the 40 many are claiming.

Fiat500USA
06-12-2015, 12:50 AM
The problem with city driving is there are way too many variables to compare with another person's fuel economy numbers. Lights and stop signs are mileage killers and these vary for everybody. How fast you average also plays a big roll. If you can't get the car into a high gear the gas mileage will be low and this can be a big problem with an automatic. There are other habits too, like how hard the gas pedal is depressed and coasting to lights or charging up to them, etc.

Maybe try shifting the car manually to see if the gas mileage improves. Try to get the car into a high gear asap. On a manual car, the optimum shifting points according to ecoDrive is around 2,000 rpms or less conditions permitting. MultiAir allows you to shift at low rpm because it boosts torque at these engine speeds. Try it and see. The best way to check gas mileage is to fill up, drive and then fill up again at the same station/pump and record the gallons and mileage. While the computer in the car is useful to see your instantaneous mileage and judge if you are going up or down in mileage, it is probably not going to give you an accurate average reading.

Let us know if you can beat your old figures. It can be fun driving for fuel economy so give it a try! Good luck!

Maricopaman
06-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Gas mileage is so variable. When I worked I had a Focus and then a Fiesta, I live in a rural area and had a 20 mile drive to town at avg. 60 mph, The Focus got 39 mpg (auto) and the Fiesta got 44. When I retired I no longer drove to that town, rather to a closer town 15 miles away but with avg. speed of 70 mph mileage dropped to 37-38. Now with my auto Sport I average between 28-31, depending if I drive to Phoenix with drivers doing 75 on the freeway (in town, out of town it's more like 85). I pretty much don't care about the mileage and drive hard most of the time. I also use premium (that 10.8:1 says so)! The extra $2.00 to fill that tank is no big deal.