PDA

View Full Version : Mean old woman

Purgatory
05-01-2015, 09:40 PM
Had to happen sometime, surprised I've made it with my Abarth this long. Was just starting to backup from my parking space at Wal-Mart this afternoon. Noticed this old woman standing near the rear of my car staring at me. I am almost 63, so by old, she looked well into her 70's or perhaps 80's, not a good judge of age.

Moved only a couple of feet, aware how close she was to my car (driver's side). So I looked at her directly, mostly so as not to hit her.

She says loudly, "Your car is noisy!"

Kind of took me back, so I replied, "Excuse me?"

She glared even harder, and continued, "You heard me. Your car is too damn noisy, shouldn't be allowed."

I wasn't going to take the bait, but I added, "For your information, these cars come from the factory without any mufflers"

No point explaining down pipes and CAI's to someone like that.

Then she made her final comment, "What is it?"

"It's a Fiat Abarth"

She shook her head side to side, and the proceeded to walk directly in the path of my car very slowly.

Life's too short for this nonsense, thought about backing over her (joking, not literal), but thought of all the work it would take to get that nasty dead old woman's squish off of my ultra clean car, plus all the time lost explaining it to a cop.

Can't please everybody, so I don't even bother to try. First time anyone has directly complained about the sound. And for the record, wasn't revving it up, was simply backing up the car after starting it up, hadn't even moved a yard yet.

Indelibility
05-01-2015, 09:43 PM
Who complains about the music these cars make?!

Thunderbolt
05-01-2015, 09:53 PM
She says loudly, "Your car is noisy!"
Proper response: "Thank you!"

Robert Nixon
05-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Remember the Rock and Roll saying: "If it's too loud, then you're too old"

Greg Elmassian
05-01-2015, 10:36 PM
The proper response is "what, I can't hear you, my car is too loud"... keep saying it over and over no matter what the response... 50% of the people will snap and check into a sanatorium...

Greg

Purgatory
05-01-2015, 10:44 PM
greg and thunderbolt's answers were perfect, wish I had been that quick on the reply. I take everything literal, so I thought an explanation was needed, my mistake, lol

Thunderbolt
05-02-2015, 02:28 AM
It's funny how differently people react to our cars.

When I was setting up last year's Challenge Event, I spoke to a lady of around 80 years old who happened to be standing at one of the locations I had selected, and was wondering what I was up to. After I told her, she told me that she remembered participating in a car rally when she was younger, and that it was a lot of fun.

I can only guess that the lady you encountered was not as lucky as the lady I encountered.

Klasse Act
05-02-2015, 07:26 AM
Purg, great story, I REALLY need that DP now!!!

Meph
05-02-2015, 08:33 AM
Great story. It must have taken a lot of restraint to not "accidentally" back into her.

One of my neighbors, who is in his 70's, has said their is a hole in my muffler a couple of times after I've pulled into the neighborhood. He's always said it jokingly, but I guess it's annoys him a bit.

ophidia31
05-02-2015, 11:02 AM
When I think my car might be loud, I always say to myself "Hey, at least Im not a dick on a harley revving the **** out of my bike like a twat"

Andree
05-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Aw, she's not being mean, she's telling you the truth from her perspective. What is delightful to some is total crap to others. New neighbors here at the apartment complex. Very loud. They're the only ones in the entire courtyard that are loud, and it disturbs everyone! But it's not noise to them, it's having a good time. At what point can a line be drawn?

There are various laws and noise ordinances, covering hospital zones and overnight hours. Campgrounds with quiet hours. Supposed to help folks to have some quiet sleeping time or recovery time. But what of the people who work nights? Those people could use a break in the noise during the daytime.

And certainly there is some noise that will bother each and every person. Could be the neighbor's lawn mower. A leaf blower. Someones thumping home or auto stereo. Kids screaming in whistle register at schools and parks. The mentioned loud motorcycles, whether it's a Harley or some high pitched street racer. How about a jack hammer? A crying baby. A loud argument. Construction noises, heavy equipment, industrial factories. Airports, jets, especially when they sound like they're going to land on the roof of your home or office. Railways, train horns. Ticking clocks. Emergency sirens.

There is something that will bother each and every person. It will jerk you out of your happy place, wake you up in the middle of the night, or frustrate you to no end.

Many folks go their whole lives without making the connection between "my sound good, your sound bad" being the same thing. It's all in point of view. Any sound made has the potential to bug the heck out of someone.

The next time you hear a sound that bothers you, try to think of your car and that lady. Because whatever it is that you hear that you don't care for, will be similar to the reaction of the lady to your car. It may be hard at first to make the connection. You may think "Yeah, but THIS sound I'm hearing really IS offensively loud".

Not to the jack hammer operator who is doing their job and earns a living via that work. And so on.

It is then you can begin to appreciate quiet...and to realize that we all have to be mindful of what we, ourselves, do on a daily basis that may affect the well-being of others.

I hate Thursdays here. That's when the lawn tending is done, with gas mowers, and gas leaf blowers. They're loud. They're stinky. I grind my teeth in response. I think "I hate those guys". But it's really the noise that bothers me the most. And the noise is from what they do for their job. The other thing that bothers me has to do with their lack of conscientiousness. In that they've been dumping things on adjacent properties for years.

Blowing the leaves under the fence, rather than removing them, as an example. Maybe they're told to do that. I don't know. But from all perspectives, I would not want to be the adjacent property getting the leaves blown on to my property. That's just wrong and is shoddy workmanship. Have a little pride, eh?

Think about what irks you, and realize that you will irk others. The farther away you can hear something, the more it stands a chance of bothering someone.

Story: One person on Twitter was staying at someones home. Started tweeting in the middle of the night about a darned clock. Took photos of the darned clock on the wall in the middle of the night, shortly before knocking it down with a broom. I don't know if they beat the clock into submission or what, but the clock was silenced. It was only then that the person could sleep.

Me, I could sleep joyfully in a clock shop. Love ticking. Probably the only person on the face of the planet who was lulled to sleep by a jackhammer underneath my window during the daytime. The sound and the vibrations.

This applies to sounds, sights, scents, tastes, textures. What one person finds unsightly will be of no concern to another. etc.

Golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Set the example.

n2oinferno
05-05-2015, 11:51 AM
The proper answer is "What? I can't hear you over how awesome this thing sounds!"

SweetSandMan
05-05-2015, 06:04 PM
The appropriate response should have been 1-2 revs to about 6000 rpms.

Trunkout
05-05-2015, 06:27 PM
The appropriate response should have been 1-2 revs to about 6000 rpms.

Actually I prefer the rapid taps of the pedal just below 2000 rpms to get those extra annoying pops and gurgles. :naughty: