PDA

View Full Version : setting up Trip A / help please

saypat
04-24-2015, 08:37 PM
Hello. I am not good at this stuff. I have read the manual. I am going on a short trip tomorrow and want to measure whatever the trip meter thing measures. Does it calculate MPG? That is what I want to know. I will be combining Sport Mode and non Sport Mode driving. According to the manual, just hold put the EVIC on Trip A, and hold down the button on the right lever for a second? That resets it? Is that all there is to it? Do I need to do anything at the end of my trip? Is all the info presented on the speedo display (constantly updated)? Appreciate a nod here from someone who uses this all the time. Hoping to get at least 30 mpg.

many thanks.... this Forum is amazing! I'm here constantly. So appreciative of all the helpful/knowledgeable peeps.

patrick

SeaDawg
04-24-2015, 09:05 PM
Hold the button on the end of the right stalk until the EVIC states something to the effect 'trip A reset'. Then you can select the various things it measures and to ensure it is zeroed out by pressing on the end of the stalk to cause the various things like Avg MPG, Avg Spd, Inst. Spd, etc.. to display for the Trip A set of data. If you hold the button in too long with data collected, it will reset and wipe it out, so beware!

Indelibility
04-24-2015, 09:53 PM
You know the calculated mpg isn't accurate right?

saypat
04-25-2015, 12:33 AM
I'll give it a whirl, thanks SeaDawg. I'll report back when I can. It would be nice if they had a class for all this. I'm sure there are lots of us that don't know what a lot of the things on our cars are for, or can do.

jguerdat
04-25-2015, 08:27 AM
Don't forget that there's also a Trip B so you can use one for a tankful and the other for the whole trip.

SeaDawg
04-25-2015, 09:36 AM
I'll give it a whirl, thanks SeaDawg. I'll report back when I can. It would be nice if they had a class for all this. I'm sure there are lots of us that don't know what a lot of the things on our cars are for, or can do.

It was even more fun back in 2011 when I bought my 1st FIAT, the 2012 Sport. It was like an interactive classroom in here. Do you know about the 'follow me' feature, which can keep the headlights on for up to several minutes after turning off the ignition to allow you time to get to your door and into the house? How about 'parking lights', we have them and they can only be used while parked!:sneakiness:

saypat
04-26-2015, 12:56 AM
Back from my trip today. It was 80 miles roundtrip. I never hit the Sport Mode as I wanted to see kind of mileage I could get without it. Drive 60 on the freeway. Trip A setting indicated 37 mpg. Post #3 above says it isn't accurate. Anybody ever do a comparison between the Trip meter and the old method? Are we close?

Question. At one point in my excursion I was forced to stop, back up, and go another direction. My car (automatic) would not go into reverse! Tried several times, Finally it did. Is there some kind of a safeguard here?

thanks...

patrick

I shant ever drive without the Sport Mode again.

SeaDawg
04-26-2015, 01:05 AM
They can be very close or far apart depending on factors. On the trip from Orlando to Townsend Tenn for the Fiat on the Dragon get together the EVIC said 37 mpg on the way up on one tank. When I got back, I did the math manually as I had annotated each gas receipt. Turns those hills in S.C. and N.C. fooled the computer and it only came out to around 33 mpg. On flat ground mine is about 1 to 1.5 mpg off.

There is no logical reason your transmission should not have gone into reverse. Moving the shift lever moves a spool valve which selects a different hydraulic circuit for reverse. If it does it again, I'd seriously consider taking it in for a check. Or you might ask your Studio to take a look at the linkage, just in case.

Andree
04-28-2015, 03:35 AM
Back from my trip today. It was 80 miles roundtrip. I never hit the Sport Mode as I wanted to see kind of mileage I could get without it. Drive 60 on the freeway. Trip A setting indicated 37 mpg. Post #3 above says it isn't accurate. Anybody ever do a comparison between the Trip meter and the old method? Are we close?

Question. At one point in my excursion I was forced to stop, back up, and go another direction. My car (automatic) would not go into reverse! Tried several times, Finally it did. Is there some kind of a safeguard here?

thanks...

patrick

I shant ever drive without the Sport Mode again.

Yes on the safeguards, two of them. You must have your foot on the brake to go in reverse. And you probably have hill hold on.

If you have not depressed the brake pedal, and hill hold is on, you won't roll (thanks to hill hold), but you will not be able to shift in reverse (because you have not depressed the brake).

It's on page 235 of your owner's manual:

Brake/Transmission Shift Interlock System
This vehicle is equipped with a Brake Transmission Shift Interlock System (BTSI) that holds the shift lever in PARK unless the brakes are applied. To shift the transmission out of PARK, the ignition switch must be turned to the ON/RUN position (engine running or not) and the brake pedal must be pressed.

Hill Start Assist is on page 255:

Hill Start Assist (HSA)
The HSA system is designed to assist the driver when starting a vehicle from a stop on a hill. HSA will maintain the level of brake pressure the driver applied for a short period of time after the driver takes his foot off the brake pedal. If the driver does not apply the throttle during this short period of time, the system will release brake pressure and the vehicle will roll down the hill. The system will release brake pressure in proportion to the amount of throttle applied as the vehicle starts to move in the intended direction of travel.
HSA Activation Criteria
The following criteria must be met in order for HSA to activate:
• Vehicle must be stopped.
• Vehicle must be on a 2.5% (manual transmission) or 7%
grade or greater (automatic transmission) grade hill.
• Gear selection matches vehicle uphill direction (i.e., vehicle in NEUTRAL [manual transmission], vehicle facing uphill is in forward gear; vehicle backing uphill is in REVERSE gear).

Disabling/Enabling HSA
If you wish to turn the HSA system on or off, it can be done using the Customer Programmable Features in the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC). Refer to “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information.

Hopefully that helps.

slowbird
04-28-2015, 10:30 AM
How about 'parking lights', we have them and they can only be used while parked!:sneakiness:

Can you elaborate on this further?

SeaDawg
04-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Can you elaborate on this further?

Sure!

Turn your ignition OFF and then turn your headlight switch ON, get out of the car and take a look. Or if your headlights are on when you shut off the car cycle the headlight switch. They will ONLY work when the ignition switch is in the OFF position.

I don't know if there is a timer that prevents them from draining the battery or not when they're on.

slowbird
04-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Sure!

Turn your ignition OFF and then turn your headlight switch ON, get out of the car and take a look. Or if your headlights are on when you shut off the car cycle the headlight switch. They will ONLY work when the ignition switch is in the OFF position.

I don't know if there is a timer that prevents them from draining the battery or not when they're on.

What lights come on when you do this? The DRL/Driving lights? The side markers? Everything but the headlights?

SeaDawg
04-28-2015, 02:16 PM
What lights come on when you do this? The DRL/Driving lights? The side markers? Everything but the headlights?

After going to my front yard and starting my auto Pop and turning on the lights I turned off the ignition, cycled the headlight switch off and then on. The headlamp icon in the cluster will light...ALL lights EXCEPT the headlights and the turn signal repeaters on the upper sides of the front fenders will light. Wheel well light/reflectors front and rear, DRL's, license plate LED's and tail lights will ALL light.

Turning off the headlight switch will extinguish the 'parking lights'...so will turning on the ignition and starting the car which brings the headlights back on. The 'parking lights' will NOT work as a 'cheap' replacement for headlights on the 500 when the engine is in operation.

Now if they'd just program it so whenever the windshield wipers wipe twice consecutively the headlights/taillights come on automatically ala Cadillac, I'd be ecstatic.

saypat
04-28-2015, 03:10 PM
thank you Andree. I went and read my manual regarding the brake issue and shifting into reverse. Maybe I spaced out, but I cannot imagine myself attempting to shift into reverse without my foot on the brake. I will have to keep an eye on it. Of course I'm 63 so I could have had a 'senior moment.' One time I left home without my sunglasses. Went back to look for them. I was wearing them!