PDA

View Full Version : Scrapped wheel?? Is there a paint to match or a is a new wheel in my future?

Fiat4Fun
04-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Howdy,

I have a 201 Abarth 500C, and went around a hotel roundabout and scrapped my outside of the drivers side rear wheel. Not bad, but the outer side of the rim has some scratch marks. Anyone tried painting these rims? Talked to the local dealer, and they are about $700 for a new one, plus shipping. The rim I have is the 17" Black Chrome rim, which I guess was an upgrade from the standard rim. I was impressed by the dealer,who got my VIN and could tell which rims were on it! New cars, way different than my '71 Fiat!

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone has some take offs or a spare rim they want to sell?

Thanks
Bob

Amacento
04-24-2015, 02:49 PM
Good news. Your local studio should be able to help you out. It should run about $100 for a touch-up (includes smoothing out the scrape) or no more $200 for a complete paint. If you can find a reputable detailing shop, you may be able to get a full paint for no more than $100.

A lot of people immediately look for a complete replacement. It's great, if you have money to throw around. But it is completely unnecessary. I trust this helps.

Tweak
04-24-2015, 06:48 PM
^^^ Along these lines check with the dealer. Mine has a guy that does it on site and is mobile and charges from $75 up depending on the damage. The dealer did a little damage to one of my wheels and this guy came and fixed it and I couldn't even tell it was damaged. It'll depend on the degree of damage of course but you can save a lot more money fixing rather than replacing the wheel.

Fiat4Fun
04-28-2015, 04:20 PM
^^^ Along these lines check with the dealer. Mine has a guy that does it on site and is mobile and charges from $75 up depending on the damage. The dealer did a little damage to one of my wheels and this guy came and fixed it and I couldn't even tell it was damaged. It'll depend on the degree of damage of course but you can save a lot more money fixing rather than replacing the wheel.

Thanks for the feedback. I won't have the car to the dealer until next oil change ( dealer is three hours away) but will ask about it when I take it in. I might check with other local dealers ( non-Fiat) and see if they use a detail guy that can take care of it. I was thinking of just using the scrapped wheel as a spare, but since they cost so much, I might just get it touched up. Sounds like it's not something that can't be done. Thanks for the replies
Enjoy
Bob

junnyquest
04-28-2015, 04:57 PM
If you are looking for a DIY solution, Dupli-Color Scratch Fix All in 1 makes an excellent match. Chrysler Graphite Metallic. Part no. ACC 0414. The product includes clear coat.

I found it at Advance Auto Parts, but I imagine it's available wherever Dupli-Color is sold.