PDA

View Full Version : New tires

Nobarth
04-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Had to get rid of those P zeros. The noise was driving me crazy and they had twenty one thousand on them (previous owner). I wanted AS so I could drive confidently in winter. So I decided on Cooper Zeon RS3 and started looking for a local seller.

National Tire and Battery (NTB) sells Coopers locally so I decided to try them. I had seen a complaint on the forum that they had messed up a member's lower body cladding sills when they jacked up his car. So I thought I would avoid that problem and remove the wheels myself and take them into NTB. That was a mistake. Not knowing exactly where to place my floor jack, I decided just to use the Abarth jack. So I foolishly removed one wheel at a time and took it to NTB. I had to wait in line each time for up to two hours for each wheel. But that wasn't the bad part.

They scratched and gouged my stock 17s unmercifully. I peeked in the back door and watched the tire changer fumble with the tire machine as if he really didn't know what he was doing. I pointed that out to the salesman and he said he was doing it wrong and went downstairs to correct him but the gouges were already done. They also scratched the second and third wheels a lot on the front side. I complained to the next salesman I had to deal with for the fourth wheel and showed him that there was only one small scratch on that wheel and I expect it to remain that way, and it did come back without any new scratches. I asked how that was. He had no answer. But I knew it was a more experienced installer that time.

Had these wheels been relatively pristine, I would have fought NTB to the death for compensation. But they weren't. There was curb rash on three of them. I don't know how you fight that kind of fight. How do you have outrage at their damage when you gave them already damaged wheels? How do you prove what damage was already there and what was not?

The whole fiasco took me eight hours to complete and it was dark when I finally departed for home with the last wheel that I mounted by flashlight. I was completely dumbfounded when the salesman said if you want to buy a can of paint to touch up the wheels, bring me the receipt and we will pay for it. A can of paint!!!! Are you serious? I didn't even respond........ But at least my body cladding sills are safe.

Buyer beware

Indelibility
04-23-2015, 05:02 PM
...National Tire and Battery (NTB)...

Well there's your problem right there, lol.

gerrymx
04-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Wow that's a terrible experience, they make mistakes and make customers even pay for it. Maybe next time take photo or video of your car before every project so you'll have evidence.